Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Rio grande do Norte/Brasil
Gear: Looking for my fisrt kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help buying used board

Postby Onunu » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello guys, i need some help from more experienced riders as i am just starting on the sport.
Found a board on what looks to be a reasonable price, its a liquid Force Influence 141x42,5

the board looks to be at great shape aside from the bottom that has some scratches from what looks like to be some heavy wake style usage, so i have 2 questions:

how these scratches would affect the ride?
is this board fit to me? would it help me progress? i am 78kg, plan to ride in light winds at first(13-20 knots) with a 12m kite, mostly at sea so theres gona be at least a bit of chopp and finally i do not plan on doing wake-style stuff, i am more interested in free-ride/freestyle, this board seens to be a all around with a bit of wake-style orientation, but i do not think this would be a problem because i would buy another board in the future as i progress and in the future would use this one for light winds only.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OCX
Gear: Airush, Best, Switch, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Re: Help buying used board

Postby bay surfer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Good board will take a lot of abuse, Stiff, good in chop goes upwind well, Not LFs best but midrange. Worth maybe ...200$, out of rapper 400$

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Check the footstraps, make sure they are not worn. Check the fins, make sure they are solidly in place. Check the side wall to make sure no deep impact/cracks. Cheers.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Onunu wrote:
how these scratches would affect the ride?
is this board fit to me? would it help me progress? i am 78kg, plan to ride in light winds at first(13-20 knots) with a 12m kite, mostly at sea so theres gona be at least a bit of chopp and finally i do not plan on doing wake-style stuff, i am more interested in free-ride/freestyle, this board seens to be a all around with a bit of wake-style orientation, but i do not think this would be a problem because i would buy another board in the future as i progress and in the future would use this one for light winds only.
Scratches won't affect the ride but if they're deep enough to go through to the core then you'll wanna patch em up with some epoxy before hitting the water otherwise it'l go rotten. Generally "wakestyle" boards make for better all rounders than the "freestyle" flat ones in my opinion, just go careful with the rocker otherwise you may struggle to hold ground in lighter winds, if you ride powered don't worry bout it. Ignore the bs when choosing a board, specs are all that's important.

Return to “Kitesurfing”