Forum for kitesurfers
kitet
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LF Element vs Carbon Element vs Legacy

Postby kitet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:14 am

I'm 150lbs 5"11' and currently ride a 2014 LF LFX with straps. I'm planning to buy a new 2016 LF board but am not sure which one I should get. A few questions that I'm hoping folks can help with:

1. What are the main differences between the Element and Carbon Element besides price and weight? Is the Carbon Element more or less flexible? Will it be more or less forgiving with landings? What else is different in terms of how the two ride?

2. Legacy vs. Element - I know the Legacy is similar to what I ride now, the LFX, but am not necessarily looking to replicate what I have now. I know the Legacy has more rocker and is probably more flexible. I'm starting to unhook and get more comfortable with kiteloops/megaloops and more complex transitions and hooked-in tricks. I still think I will be doing 70% of my tricks hooked-in. I would like more pop (I assume the Element will beat the Legacy in terms of pop) but how about the landings? Is the Element not forgiving at all? What else should I consider or think about in terms of differences between the 2?

Thanks!

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: LF Element vs Carbon Element vs Legacy

Postby Werito » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:41 am

1. What I know is that carbon version is not build for riding with boots, only straps.

2. I just tired both of those and they are totally different boards. Legacy was really nice in chop and way more lively and agile under the feet. I have to say that I wasn't too comfortable with it, but I can imagine that some people could like it a lot. Element has sick pop, almost scary! I think it feels stiff and robust when driving. I would definitely pick Element of these two. Anyway, those are so different boards that I think you should try them out before buying.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:00 pm

You really need to try them both. Different rides for sure. I had the Element and now I ride the Legacy. In flat water the Element performs amazing but with the chop and crappy conditions, the Legacy throws almost zero spray in my face and is super smooth. Both are great boards.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby IanNJ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm

never used the Legacy. I had an Element Carbon and still have an Element (wood). Both 139. I really like the element wood version with no fins and boots. It goes upwind very well (as the carbon does) but the main difference is the Element has a stiffer ride. The Carbon is more flexible with less pop. It absorbs chop better but does not have the pop the wood one has.

Return to “Kitesurfing”