Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whats the dumbest thing you will admit too?

Forum for kitesurfers
IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Whats the dumbest thing you will admit too?

Postby IanNJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:14 pm

Whats the dumbest thing you have done (kiting related) that you are willing to admit too? Saturday i forgot my foil was on the roof of my car, vertically like an antenna, and drove through the drove through window at rhe bank and ripped the foil out of the board. I will say this, its a MHL foil with SS Alien air board, the foil only had a few scratches on it. I was impressed! I mounted it on a wake skate ans used it that afternoon and yesterday. Still works just fine...the only thing really broken is my ego and the board.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Whats the dumbest thing you will admit too?

Postby knotwindy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:20 pm

playing around on the inside where i should not have been, showing off, and missed a bankroll/loop crashed in too close and got dragged into a buoy with the lines wrapping and had to cut everything loose to not drown. Then borrow a kite to go back out and try to untangle the mess with all my friends on the beach howling. Long time ago and never again.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:28 pm

IanNJ wrote:Whats the dumbest thing you have done (kiting related) that you are willing to admit too? Saturday i forgot my foil was on the roof of my car, vertically like an antenna, and drove through the drove through window at rhe bank and ripped the foil out of the board. I will say this, its a MHL foil with SS Alien air board, the foil only had a few scratches on it. I was impressed! I mounted it on a wake skate ans used it that afternoon and yesterday. Still works just fine...the only thing really broken is my ego and the board.
Walked out into the water with kite and board in hand... went way out away from shore because of gusty conditions to drift launch.... Go to hook in........ No Harness

Tie tether to car wheel.... drive away with tether on wheel....

rig kite, ask for assistance with launching.... flip kite over... no lines attached...........

Go to beach to test out brand new 13m kite... realize you only brought a 35cm wide bar with 18m lines.... add 18m extensions.... steer with floats.....

go to beach with group of people.... light wind, so you go for a walk with your wife leaving your gear on the beach with the other kiters, return an hour later... everyone is gone, including your gear......

That time when I purchased anything Cabrinha......lmao nuff said

StokedNSmoked
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oneida, Seneca lakes and eastern Lake Ontario.
Favorite Beaches: Outer banks
Style: Survival?
Gear: Slingshot Rallys, Ocean Rodeo Mako, and Shinn Monk.

Postby StokedNSmoked » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Kiting in near freezing weather but forgetting to zip up drysuit... Being on call for emergencies and thinking a baggie will keep my phone dry... Thinking a gopro floats... :)

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:44 pm

StokedNSmoked wrote:Kiting in near freezing weather but forgetting to zip up drysuit..)
Three times for me.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Who hasn't left a bar a the launch, forgotten a board, or a control bar. Well I've forgotten all of my kites before. I went to start packing my car to go to the beach, kite after kite after kite, wasn't sure what the conditions would be, put the kite next to the car, next one finally got all the kites ready to load, oh yeah grab my board, put that in the back seat, drive to the launch. Look in the trunk. Hey wait a second. I forgot to put the kites in the car. Drove for an hour back to my apartment complex. All 5 kites were gone. I went to talk to the manager and while walking there spotted a black honda civic that looks exactly like my car. And right next to it my 5 kites. Someone had moved them there thinking it was me? I put the kites back in my trunk and went back to the launch.

That's the dumbest thing so far, I'm sure I will do dumber things in the future.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Hot-launching a 16m c-kite in a city park while having no harness and being absolutely clueless as to wtf I am doing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Does "close calls" count too ?

Having gotten two special made Ralf Bachschuster waveboards, I had waited for and specially designed for me in dual respect, and made like what I wanted in every way.

After the second session out on both of them, awesome boards, I packed kites down and was ready to leave, going forward in a U turn on the end of the small gravel/grass road.

For some reason I stopped after having driven 1 foot only.

I went out, and my two new darlings were just one inch in front of the right wheel - DAMN it was close !!!

Could have been awesome, to drive over and smash your two new long awaited boards almost on the first session, NOT on the water :naughty:

I think that is the dumbest "close call" I've had :roll:

8) Peter

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Just bought my first kite off eBay, an old f-one M6 12m, had all the know-how of flying two line kites and everything else off YouTube and the Internet, so I was "ready". Booked a vacation to Tarifa, during August which is one of the busiest months on the beach, setup my kite on the beach, attached the lines and bar and hooked myself in to the harness. Asked my gf back then to launch the kite but she only had experience with holding a small delta stunt kite. So I told her how to hold it. So she did and I ran back to the launch position, felt the kite pull, thought it was good, gave her the thumbs up and she threw it up. The material was fluttering, the kite fell back down onto the beach and starting tumbling straight into the middle ahead of me. Next thing I remember I get pulled along the beach. But I manage to slide on my bum and finally hook my heel into the ground. It was a tug of war with a giant. The kite was way to big for those Tarifa days. Next thing I remember that I can't release the kite because firstly I didn't have a leash on me, just plain forgot about getting one, and didn't want to mess up my first new kite that I bought for €150! Haha. So now I scream at my gf to get the kite that was down on its leading edge, still playing tug of war. She goes all sour and looks at me "I'm not doing anything if you scream at me like that!" ...I was thinking "you *^%^#* this is life or death, help me you bi%#*!!!" So she finally strolls over to kite, really taking her time and she tries to lift the kite by he leading edge from the front. Of course the kite is pushing her too and she fails. So I scream at her again to go inside the kite to hold down the leading edge and just grab it! So she walks through the lines and all and finally manages to get a grip on it. Finally safe! Afterwards I find out why I couldn't de power the kite because I had a micro hook on my bar back then onto which I had wrapped the lines. My kite was fully powered all the time. And I was too embarrassed to shout for help from others although the beach was packed. So count how many mistakes I made back then :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”