Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Mako Completely Reborn

Forum for kitesurfers
SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: The Mako Completely Reborn

Postby SENDIT! » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:28 am

rightguard wrote:I just got my new 140 but I have a question about the fins...

They are slightly curved on the bottom, so when you tighten them down, they are only touching on the two tips and there is a space in the middle. I don't think I could tighten them any more, worried I'd strip something. Is this correct or do I have the wrong fins?

Thanks for any info you might have.
rightguard, you didn't say what year your Mako is, but here's a couple of pics I took of the last 140 I have in my shop. It fits flush to the board with no gaps. Can you share a picture of yours?
Attachments
20151017_174933.jpg

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:33 am

I bought the new one... I guess it's 2016. It has the z55 fins. I don't think you would even see it in a picture, 4 pieces of paper will fit under but 5 will not. My last board would fit tight once I tightened the screws but I sure feel like these are as tight as they should be.

I emailed ocean rodeo but they have not responded over the weekend, maybe Monday.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 am

If you want to fix it yourself to get riding, use a sanding block and take your time sanding the tips down. If you go bit by bit you will get them perfectly flush. I have done this when switching fins from one manufacturer to a different board and it worked very well.

Admittedly not what you want with a new board, but this will get you riding it quickly.

K

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:59 am

rightguard wrote:I just got my new 140 but I have a question about the fins...
They are slightly curved on the bottom, so when you tighten them down, they are only touching on the two tips and there is a space in the middle. I don't think I could tighten them any more, worried I'd strip something. Is this correct or do I have the wrong fins?
Thanks for any info you might have.
i know some years ago Nobile 555 boards had fin bottom radius smaller than the boards rocker radius intentionally. so when you screw hard the fin to the corner of the board you could slightly increase rocker on your toe side, and for the heel side there were special shims for inserting between fin and board (or was it vice-versa?). i guess that was made for reducing the water spray in the face of the rider.

it is relatively easy to bend the corner of the conventional twintip, but i don't think it is right thing to do with the Macos centered fins.

i would wait for answer from OR

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 am

Blake wrote:Mako/Paipo/Shinster

Home made combo....

Best board I've ever ridden!

John Z, I can send this out your way if you want to try it out?

Blake
That is an absolutely stunning board and deserves its own tread. How did you make it? The tread is probably there already, will look for it right after hitting the submit button.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:14 am

Peert wrote:
Blake wrote:Mako/Paipo/Shinster

Home made combo....

Best board I've ever ridden!

John Z, I can send this out your way if you want to try it out?

Blake
That is an absolutely stunning board and deserves its own tread. How did you make it? The tread is probably there already, will look for it right after hitting the submit button.
Ditto :jump:

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:33 pm

So I pulled my fins off my old 140 Mako, maybe 5-6 years old. The fins for my old board and my new board are the same curve and both fit real nice to the curve of the old board.

When you put the fins up against the new board they don't fit the curve at all when placed down the center line of the board. If you put the fins towards the edge of the board they fit the curve great.

This makes me question the construction of this board. Is the wood core holding the correct curve or is it flattening out.

I'll have to weight them but the new board feels lighter than my old one which would be nice as long as it doesn't hurt the longevity of the board.

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Blake » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:59 am

Kami/Peert, and others

Ok guys,I will do up some pictures and descriptions of how I made my Paipo/Shinnster/Mako board and start a new thread on it. It will probably be in the board builders section of the forum.

Regards,
Blake

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:51 am

Blake wrote: Ok guys,I will do up some pictures and descriptions of how I made my Paipo/Shinnster/Mako board and start a new thread on it.
Can't wait. Please be as detailed as possible, because this is a project I would like to take on.

:thumb:

JD

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 am

Blake wrote:Kami/Peert, and others

Ok guys,I will do up some pictures and descriptions of how I made my Paipo/Shinnster/Mako board and start a new thread on it. It will probably be in the board builders section of the forum.

Regards,
Blake
Cool, thanks! :thumb:

(Please God be a really simple process that I can do...)

Return to “Kitesurfing”