Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lake Erie

Forum for kitesurfers
jyetley
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Millacs MN, Pepin WI, Clear Lake IA
Favorite Beaches: Spring: Texas's Laguna Madre or Florida's Pan Handle.
Summer: Michigan's Western Shore
Fall: Upper Mississippi River
Winter: Utah's Wasatch or Wyoming's Teton Mountains.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, Slingshot, Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lake Erie

Postby jyetley » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:03 am

I'm looking for help finding a launch site between Toledo and Cleveland, Ohio. I'll be driving by on my way to the OBX in two weeks and want to grab a session. It would be good to have a selection to choose from based on the currect wind direction and speed. Does anyone know which sites are the best?

TPink
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lake Erie

Postby TPink » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:18 am

jyetley wrote:I'm looking for help finding a launch site between Toledo and Cleveland, Ohio. I'll be driving by on my way to the OBX in two weeks and want to grab a session. It would be good to have a selection to choose from based on the currect wind direction and speed. Does anyone know which sites are the best?
a lot depends on direction.

i kite out of cle and the two best directions are SW and NE.

if your familiar with sandusky area, there's a great spot at the end of marblehead we call the sand bar. kind of a pain to get to but good riding from all directions.

If N to NE edgewater park is good, just west of the city.

in a SW i kite out at headlands beach another great spot, but it's about 25 mi's east of Cle.

bring a suit, starting to get chilly...

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:50 pm

I was in Port Clinton a couple of weeks ago and it is a nice location for kiteboarding when the winds are out of the north. Nice sized beach and the waves break a ways out and it is nice and shallow for a ways. We have been getting plenty of winds from the north but I think that it is not that common.

I have heard about the Marblehead sand bar and would like to try that out, just not sure of the details.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:40 pm

usually to ride the sandbar you go to bay pointe marina it's gated so you need a pass from someone who has a boat there, launch your jetski or boat, go into lake erie and then around the sand bar back into sandusky bay, which is right across from the cedar point amusement park. Locals like the cleveland guys go here on a south, which if you look at lake erie will tell you why not a lot of options on lake erie on a due S. It gets pretty gusty here! Bauer took me out to the sandbar a few times. On a south or south west you are only getting one or two miles of fetch so there's no way you get clean air and it is possible to get blown into lake erie if you snap a line because you are riding offshore wind. Since I'm in Michigan I have a lot of other places that are closer for me to ride on a S. jyetley take a look at the forum messages I sent you a map of places to ride. As always it depends on the wind direction where to go. If you are riding the sandbar make sure you have proper thermal protection on. It would suck to send a rescue boat out for you because you are blown into the middle of lake erie and you die of hypothermia first. Some day I want to drive down to the cleveland area ride the power plant, edgewater and headlands. I've ridden all the launches west of vermilion.
Last edited by edt on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Never ridden at any of these locations - only ridden Mentor Headlands N. of Cleveland - but looks like Edgewater Park near Cleveland, & Vermillion & Huron further west are possible spots.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:14 am

The west side of Lake Erie is AMAZING!!! I have had some of my biggest boosting sessions there, high winds and massive waves. You will love it!

We ride at sherkston/ pleasant beach (Canadian side) but that whole end can nuke on the right wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”