Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Ride Engine harness review

Postby kooshball » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:44 am

I will keep this short but for the benefit of the group it fully lives up to the marketing story.

I am an intermediate rider who has been at it for 2-years. I ride twin tips most of the time and strapless in lighter winds. I spent the last 4-days riding and using this harness with no issues, no body damage and no soreness. In contrast, my previous harness was a brand new and properly fitting dakine pyro; it always left chafing and sore ribs...I even have scars from some of the chafing...riding that harness for 4-days straight was painful.

I got the rope spreader bar, shortened up the knots to bring it closer and found myself riding Toeside far more often and comfortably. The harness allowed more upper body movement so throwing the board around and carving hard off the chop was much easier and more powerful. The harness never rode up after the initial retightening of the strap once it was wet on the first session.

They really should have named it the Freedom Harness because that is exactly what it gives you. I never thought I would ever be stoked about a harness but this thing really allowed me to have a better time on the water.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Re: New Ride Engine harness review

Postby IanNJ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:58 pm

I agree with Kooshballs comments, especially the ones about the Pyro! It is great for intermediate or beginner kiters. There are three guys here using the new ones and they all like them pretty much. Some two of them just are starting to get bit by the strapless surf bug and have been riding about 2 years. The other has been riding for 15 years; we finally got him out of a seat harness with shackle last year, he had a waist harness but complained that it was more of a chest harness. These guys all like it a bunch (even though two of them had issues with the rope coming out).

personally I cant use it. I am an avid strapless rider using a Manera Harness with Jaybar. I have used this combo for over two years. I have spent about 4 hours on the Engine and find that it is much too restrictive when riding toe side. I don't have nearly enough freedom to get in the wave. I found the harness comfortable for the most part but when riding toe side aggressively it was just uncomfortable with pressure points in my ribs. The Engine will really be a good entry point into the slider for folks but for aggressive wave riders I think they will be happier with their DIY sliders or the Jaybar.

smurphd
Rare Poster

Postby smurphd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:10 pm

theres already an engine review thread.
viewtopic.php?t=2390275&p=904559

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:18 pm

kooshball wrote:I will keep this short but for the benefit of the group
Harnesses ride up the worst in huge boosting and with rounder bellies.

Will you share your body shape: trim, a little rounder in the middle, apple, pear etc; What was the wind and did you boost small, moderate, big, huge?

kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD

Postby kooshball » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:49 pm

randycasburn wrote:

Will you share your body shape: trim, a little rounder in the middle, apple, pear etc; What was the wind and did you boost small, moderate, big, huge?
I have a compact, moderately athletic build. I am 5'5" and 140 lbs, decent back muscles but not really broad shouldered or triangle shaped. I rode the full range of conditions, 15 kts and practicing backroll transitions up to 20-25kts slightly overpowered on my 9m jumping pretty big and crashing big so I certainly had the kite pulling me from all angles.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:25 pm

While I would love to buy an Engine harness right now I think I'll wait to see how long they last and if the "bugs" get worked out. Was going to buy one a year ago but ended up getting a Magestic instead because I needed a harness that would lay flat for travel packing purpose. Have been pretty disappointed with the Magestic mostly I think for buying a L when really I was a M. Does the Hex lay flat or is it always bent? Need to be able to pack it in my board bag that way.

=Jason-

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:28 pm

logsdon wrote: Does the Hex lay flat or is it always bent? Need to be able to pack it in my board bag that way.

=Jason-

always bent

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:17 pm

I'll comment on this. I have the older harness--I got it last September. I've put at least 280 sessions on it. I haven't reached out to them, but I see similar problems that others have mentioned with the glue coming off the carbon on the back of the harness. It hasn't come completely loose, and I would have no problem fixing it myself. Other than this, it's holding up well. I've replaced the rope once (with SK90 12k lbs line). I've been pleased with customer service and communique. I have some holes in the bottom of the neoprene from wiping out in almost no water on a skim, but a wetsuit wouldn't fair better skipping over shells.

I'm 195 lbs, and I have a pretty decent sized beer gut. The harness can come up a tad, but not much--maybe 3 inches or so. I cinch it down pretty tight and have to suck in to get it on. My gut is mostly fluid so after riding a bit it shrinks and the harness loosens up. I rode 7.5 hours the other day, so I'd compare it to a nice set of running shoes.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:11 pm

kooshball wrote:
randycasburn wrote:

I have a compact, moderately athletic build. I am 5'5" and 140 lbs, decent back muscles but not really broad shouldered or triangle shaped. I rode the full range of conditions, 15 kts and practicing backroll transitions up to 20-25kts slightly overpowered on my 9m jumping pretty big and crashing big so I certainly had the kite pulling me from all angles.
Thanks!

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:14 pm

t3rse wrote:I'm 195 lbs, and I have a pretty decent sized beer gut.
This helps me more because I'm not the trim athletic guy that kooshball is, but not quite the "beer gut" guy you say your are :-)

Thanks for taking the time to follow up. As with most thing is this sport of ours, can't demo or try before buy - must put up the money to play. So all the feedback helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”