Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is north dyno a jump back to delta kite shapes?

Forum for kitesurfers
Freddy B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is north dyno a jump back to delta kite shapes?

Postby Freddy B » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Looking at the 6 strut Dyno reminds me of the old rhino 08 delta shape. Does anyone know if the performance is similar? Reviews sound similar, great upwind machine, big lofty jumps, great sheeting control and stability to make racing or jumping easy.

I was dissapointed when north left that shape, or relegated it to the Evo, but it sounds like it is common no back.

I am looking for a 10m 2015 Dyno if anyone still has them in stock in the US.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Re: Is north dyno a jump back to delta kite shapes?

Postby Puetz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:29 am

Freddy B wrote:Looking at the 6 strut Dyno reminds me of the old rhino 08 delta shape. Does anyone know if the performance is similar? Reviews sound similar, great upwind machine, big lofty jumps, great sheeting control and stability to make racing or jumping easy.

I was dissapointed when north left that shape, or relegated it to the Evo, but it sounds like it is common no back.

I am looking for a 10m 2015 Dyno if anyone still has them in stock in the US.
... apparently the smaller Dyno's are fantastic, especially in the jumping, better than the '08 Rhino's.

In my opinion the Dyno is not really a delta shape as it behaves kind of like a C kite in some areas and a bow kite in others, and I think its because of the bridle set up. The Dyno definitely has its own unique feel and can be optimised to suit your own style through modifying the bar and adaptive tip steering setting. New out of the bag I wasn't convinced but I changed it to suit myself and now love it.

I used to own the '08 Rhino and loved its power especially in the 12m but used the 16m alot as my every day kite. It did have a fairly heavy bar relative to other kites even compared to the same years Rebel but that also translated to good static power and bar feed back so you could easily feel where the kite is with good hangtime. Out of the bag the Dyno felt too soft and turned a bit quick and kind of backstalled too. After modifying the bar it didn't stall as easily but gave me more static power and more like the Rebel. This made it easier to jump for me and jumps got bigger and longer.

Weirdly you can send the kite kind of C kite style and get some explosive jumps but if you send it like a delta/bow kite then you can do the elevator type jumps too, easy up and easy down. Where it gets better than the C kite is, the kite floats like a bow kite so you get some lovely hang aka old school.

Forget kite looping, that's not its thing but neither was the '08 Rhino too. It stalls when its going through the bottom part of the loop so will drop you. The rebel is better here.

The Dyno is a little more technical but can feel like the '08 Rhino if you want but it has way more potential than the old Rhino.

I hope this helps,

Robbie :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 am

Oh puetz has posted here...just finished this blurb a little earlier...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2390418

and yes that C/Bow type jumping ability, can again only be explained by the bridal setup.

Ps Puetz is 120kg and some, I'm only 75kg. I just use the heavy bar setting on the 10 and light on the 13m I still use the old 2011 16m dyno...I'm always patching her up but shes still flying :).

I do loop the 10m on the light bar setting now and then, but not too crazy, she can stall on you if you don't follow her all the way around...there's a knack to it :)

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 pm

puetz and westozzy, thanks for the replies!!! Great info.

Puetz, I get what you are saying about the difference, but it seems like the ability to make the kite do different things, (what I attributed to the delta shape and extremely variable angle of attack with sheeting) is what this Dyno does well too with the voodoo bridle. Obviously everything is called something different, but as I loved my Rhino 06's, and wasn't big into the bow style, I appreciated it's range. And range is partially what makes upwind ability important. You have to have the grunt for the lulls, but not be pulled off your edge when grinding up wind in a gust. A kite that holds grunt, but can race to the front of the window on demand seems to be optimal.

Speaking of which, how is the low end and high end similar or different in the same size 08 Rhinos Puetz? I am assuming the 10m would be similar as the wind ranges appear similar.

As to the jumping, I believe that was just a side that came from that technicality in trim options. Obviously not just the throw and go, but the ability to throw it however you want it to jump. As you said like a high AR or a Low AR kite, and get the best of both worlds.

Well, to be sure you sold me. I almost wish they still had the 11m, but I will stick with the 10m, if I can find one, and keep an eye open for a 13m if some one lists one in the future. Although they are close, that should cover 95% of what I would even try to ride in.

Thanks again for the insight boys!

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:26 pm

And finding one seems to be tricky. There don't appear to be any left, and I am getting the impression (albeit likely a sales pitch from the shops) that they will be discontinued as they are not holding up to the F-One in racing. Looks like I might be stuck in the rebel.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:36 am

Freddy B wrote:puetz and westozzy, thanks for the replies!!! Great info.

Puetz, I get what you are saying about the difference, but it seems like the ability to make the kite do different things, (what I attributed to the delta shape and extremely variable angle of attack with sheeting) is what this Dyno does well too with the voodoo bridle. Obviously everything is called something different, but as I loved my Rhino 06's, and wasn't big into the bow style, I appreciated it's range. And range is partially what makes upwind ability important. You have to have the grunt for the lulls, but not be pulled off your edge when grinding up wind in a gust. A kite that holds grunt, but can race to the front of the window on demand seems to be optimal.

Speaking of which, how is the low end and high end similar or different in the same size 08 Rhinos Puetz? I am assuming the 10m would be similar as the wind ranges appear similar.

As to the jumping, I believe that was just a side that came from that technicality in trim options. Obviously not just the throw and go, but the ability to throw it however you want it to jump. As you said like a high AR or a Low AR kite, and get the best of both worlds.

Well, to be sure you sold me. I almost wish they still had the 11m, but I will stick with the 10m, if I can find one, and keep an eye open for a 13m if some one lists one in the future. Although they are close, that should cover 95% of what I would even try to ride in.

Thanks again for the insight boys!
... we appear to have a similar back ground in kites,,, I had the '06 Rhino too.

Coming from old school C kites where you controlled the power through your edge was also a reason I disliked Bow kites back in the day because they couldn't hold a stable shape when you rode the kite this way, just too much give and sponge.

I can't really accurately remember the wind range of the '08 Rhino too well but the 16m was my bread and butter kite back then and the 18m Dyno is my current daily used kite so I imagine the new kites have a wider wind range as I get out a lot more now than I did back then and I seem to be able to hang onto it in quite strong stuff too.

From what I also understand the smaller Dyno's are quite dynamic but not too much where they feel like a wasp darting around too much. I believe they have a very familiar feel right through the range of sizes but of course the bigger they are the slower they will be.

Cool you found a 10m btw.

cheers,

Robbie :D

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:04 am

We do have similar backgrounds. Just looked back at an old post on the 08 rhino 10 review I did and you and I were having a similar discussion back in 2009. Man time flies!!!

And I am old!

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 am

Freddy B wrote:We do have similar backgrounds. Just looked back at an old post on the 08 rhino 10 review I did and you and I were having a similar discussion back in 2009. Man time flies!!!

And I am old!
... ha ha that's cool :thumb:

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:26 am

... just to add a bit more.

I like grinding upwind too,,, to me its putting money in the bank and you get to spend it all on the way downwind. I some times like to weave amongst the waves pretending I'm wave riding or I put the hammer down and blast off on a broad reach doing mach 9. Coming from a sailing background I often get the urge to go cruising so doing a 3 or 4 or 5 mile upwinder is nothing for me so having a good upwind kite helps.

So, to my point, the Dyno is super comfortable driving upwind. The kite sits there, where ever you put it in the window and with you controlling its position either by edge or bar. If your hit with gust, you trim your edge and if its too much, next step is then let the bar out accordingly. I'm sure this stability is because of the bridle set up. The kite doesn't dart to far forward or too far back either. Grinding upwind isn't a chore, its fun. On some other brand kites that are similar, I found they kind of dart forward and back a bit too much so your constantly triming and adjusting so you get a bit tired of it.

Oh and if anyone is wondering, for the record, I pay for my kites like any other customer, if a better one comes along, I'll buy that one whether its a North or blah blah! The Dyno rocks so that's what I bought.

cheers,

Robbie :)

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Re: Is north dyno a jump back to delta kite shapes

Postby Freddy B » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:38 am

Good info. As for controlling the position, I get it. Some aggressive high ar kites jump forward and back with gusts.

As to the trimming, does the kite on that bridal just change its angle of attack on demand, with it being more agressive sheeting out? I think that is how the delta shapes, with their modified bridal sort of did it. Sheeting in opened it up for more grunt, but sheeting out let it move quickly to the apparent wind and shot you upwind with increased speed with smooth board work, rather than having to dig harder with your board, causing more drag and slower accelerating while working up wind. Hopefully that makes sense. But it is similar with catamaran sailing.

Get mine Monday, and hoping the wind comes back soon! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”