New Zealand

Forum for kitesurfers
LynchMob
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Zealand

Postby LynchMob » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I will be renting a campervan and driving around New Zealand (South Island) from 11/10 - 11/21. and plan on bringing my gear. Can any locals suggest a few spots to check out as well as expected conditions for this time of year? Traveling solo so would love to meet up with others.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Zealand

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:25 pm

I can help you with the North Island spots if you get there.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 am

South Island. Geez, nobody read past the thread title?

All I know is Christchurch -- the estuary, when the tide is in, and there and the beach when it's easterly. Just drive along and spot the kites over the dunes. There's also a place further north but I can remember the location without serious searching...

Oh, Dunedin has spots too -- there a Facebook page for it...

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:09 am

Nelson at the top of the South Island has a kite boarding community. I have see posts for Lake Ellesmere to the south of Christchurch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVJ1ylPckP4

IMO, google and Facebook for NZ kite boarding pages...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115325528485030/

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jollydriver » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:45 am

LynchMob wrote: New Zealand (South Island) from 11/10 - 11/21. and plan on bringing my gear. Can any locals suggest a few spots to check out as well as expected conditions for this time of year?
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but I assume you've checked out http://locations.splocs.com/ I know its a good reference data set for a new area when I'm on the road. Although really the best info will come from any kite shops or instructors on the South Island, so that is who i would reach out to.

Best

JD

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:41 am

From http://www.cwa.org.nz/wp/?cat=3

Nov 13-15: Show Weekend Camp at Lake Clearwater, ~50km west of Mount Somers. Sailing hours are 9am till 9pm, and the wind can range from 0 to 50+ knots, so bring all your small sails especially if Nor’west winds are forecast. This is an alpine area so be prepared for all weather - it has been known to snow at Show Weekend (it's also been known to be very nice and very hot). There is a hall which the CWA usually books for Friday and Saturday nights in case of foul weather. There is a camping area by the lake, but you must bring drinking water, food etc as the nearest shop is at Mount Somers. No dogs, and no motor cycles or mountain bikes on private land around the lakes.

This is a combined windsurfing/kiting event. Likely more windsurfers (especially the high wind junkies) than kites. The launch is not ideal for kites but is workable. Photo of the lake on page 2 of this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2390482&hilit=clearwater&start=10. The warmest wetsuit you have is advised.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:16 pm

foilonfoil wrote:Nelson at the top of the South Island has a kite boarding community. I have see posts for Lake Ellesmere to the south of Christchurch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVJ1ylPckP4

IMO, google and Facebook for NZ kite boarding pages...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115325528485030/
Lake Ellesmere is a fair drive out if the city, and last time I asked about it, was told it was too polluted to be safe to ride :o

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster

Postby Kiwibayer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 am

Hello LynchMob,
You probably won't like my answer. NZ is huge and beautiful. If you are coming to discover this amazing country, leave your gear at home. 2 weeks is an extremely short time and being in the right spot at the right time will not happen without local knowledge. I traveled for 2 months and despite of hauling wind rarely managed to find a decent spot to get a session. Should you come to kite only, come to the North island. It is warmer, and within a couple of hours you can choose between west and east cost spots.
Have a good trip!

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I think you can kite at most beaches, but you obviously have to check with the locals.
I was there some years ago on a similar trip and ended up bringing my gear too. Only got one good wind day, but managed to get out and happy to be able to say now that I kited there.

The place I was, I don't remember the name, but it was the beach right before you get into Abel Tasman park. There was a system moving through that day so our kayak tour got cancelled and went kiting instead. I loved it; my travel buddy...not so much.

Good luck and enjoy.

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster

Postby Kiwibayer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:22 pm

nherbold wrote:I think you can kite at most beaches, but you obviously have to check with the locals.
New Zealand has more coast line than the USA. With a population of 1 million on the South Island you will have a difficult time finding locals :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”