Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Old newbie with a few questions

Forum for kitesurfers
toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Old newbie with a few questions

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Hugh2......thanks for the props.

Pipes....we're located in Madison and run a full service school and business and have one of the best reputations in the region.

You specifically asked about edging while turning. We work on transitions at the right time, but first you want to learn how to fly high depower kites, then getting up on a board, then riding short distances both directions, then staying upwind, then we work on transitions. Even with transitions there's a progression. Simple transitions are like falling leaf progression on a snowboard. Then we work on getting you to doing a 180 to toe side, then turning.

All the injuries? Age? Don't sweat it. I'm 54 and more injuries than most by a lot and still ride hard and fast. Come see us up in Madison and due to the time of year, I'd look at learning on the snow. Water lessons are pretty much over. Do you ski or snowboard?

Contact me at bob@kiteridersllc.com.

It's an amazing sport.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:13 am

Chicago kite crew is headed to South Padre Texas next week, get on that trip....ideal conditions, great coaching.

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... =3&t=12808

Brett
www.prokitelessons.com

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Pipes3395 wrote:Cheers from Chicago,,, Any old new guys in the forum ? I'm 49 yrs old . Active my whole life but riddled with sports and racing injuries . 4 shoulder ops, broken ribs, broken fingers , had left foot partially amputated and reattached , other various injuries. Overall i can go pretty good . However my question is more with edge control when turning , Im a regular stance and my left ankle is in a locked position . I have snowboard and skateboard experience ( but not since my racing accident). What problems do you anticipate me having before i jump into this amazing sport ?? Am i too old for this ?
YOLO as they say - have no regrets!

What to expect? Well - Im about 2+ years in (totally addicted) and I realized that the ocean / waves beats me up way more than flat water. So if you want to slowly work your muscles into kiting shape - I suggest doing more sessions in flatter water before you tackle to ocean. I noticed that I started using muscles I had never used before to such an aggressive level - esp on the weak side riding goofy (e.g. hip flexors, core stabilizers) and they would lock up and create some low back pain. I fixed this by foam rolling and being more cognizant with stretching. Some elbow tendonitis kicks in after 4 or 5 consec days. As with everything - stetch, ibuprofen, and take a week off to let the body recover.

Re: Left Ankle locked in - that's not the worry. Its your core strength IMO that will take the biggest hit. Moslty because when learning, you are falling / flopping around in the water learning the kite control, retrieving your board, etc. Then once you get up on board planing, your hip flexors and quads will take a hit. The usual painful "I can barely walk" muscle soreness but will get stronger.

If you are a former action sport junkie you will be stoked on this. Welcome!

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby NHKitesurfer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Just do it! You may love it like the rest of us old bastids.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:07 pm

It is NOT age - I'm 77 - it's attitude, and proper instruction/learning.

I've had many injuries over the decades - most I've solved with various exercises.

Kiting is so exciting, that many more minor problems are forgotten. As to the major injuries you will learn to build up your tolerance, and use and/or strengthen other muscles.

Enjoy, this is a lifelong sport (most in your family will never understand the obsession)!!

Pipes3395
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Chicago
Favorite Beaches: Oahu ....so far
Style: goofy
Gear: none yet

Postby Pipes3395 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Some great inspiration in these posts. @Bob, i was primarily a snowboarder , but id prefer to work on kiting skills over the winter and get a wetsuit and start early in the spring ( if that's an option).

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Pipes.....send me your contact info to bob@kiteridersllc.com.

Learning in the winter on a snowboard will make learning on the water a lot easier. On snow/frozen lakes around here you can walk out and easily get away from shore which makes it safer than on the water, to an extent. Assuming you can hold an edge well, riding with a kite will really help you learn basic kite skills and how to properly stay upwind, etc.

What usually takes 5 -7+ hours on water to just get the basics down, will take maybe 2-3 hours on snow to get you riding comfortably.

We have a great crew over here and the most experienced trainers/instructors/coaches in the region.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Some great advice. I'd second the suggestion to take the kite to the snowboard as much as you can. The sport is 90% kite control. Get the angles of travel and relaunch worked out on snow and your on the fast track when it comes time to get wet. Regarding that.... I'd definitely get input from the local crew on what they wear, when they start and where the get in on what conditions. Spring water temps are not to be messed with! Pushing to get in early is not what I recommend. A bit of caution in spring goes a long way. The winds are flukey on the great lakes until they warm up a bit and as a beginner your in the water a lot and might not know what kinds of dangers to look out for. Great idea to spend some resources on a good wetsuit, but this time around it will be for pushing the fall season, you can push the spring season once you feel competent. Hatteras is generally how most of us great lakes riders get a jump on things.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:34 pm

oldkiter wrote:It is NOT age - I'm 77 - it's attitude.....
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:17 pm

toyletbowl wrote:Pipes.....send me your contact info to bob@kiteridersllc.com.

Learning in the winter on a snowboard will make learning on the water a lot easier. On snow/frozen lakes around here you can walk out and easily get away from shore which makes it safer than on the water, to an extent. Assuming you can hold an edge well, riding with a kite will really help you learn basic kite skills and how to properly stay upwind, etc.

What usually takes 5 -7+ hours on water to just get the basics down, will take maybe 2-3 hours on snow to get you riding comfortably.

We have a great crew over here and the most experienced trainers/instructors/coaches in the region.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

I would recommend using skis over a snowboard for learning on snow. Its just a lot easier moving around , and not having to think about getting into your snowboard bindings while flying the kite is very helpful.

Return to “Kitesurfing”