Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boosting high question

Postby tanre » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 am

Hey all, I was wondering if I could pick the brain of the collective kite gods. I have been jumping a bit higher and noticed that I have a few problems landing. In order to figure out what I am doing wrong, I was wondering if those of you who frequently boost (over 20 feet), can chime in. My specific question is at what angle above the surface of the water is the kite, upon actually touching down on the water? Will that angle change with kite size?

I ask because I crash pretty hard sometimes and all things being equal, I don’t believe I have the right timing down (bringing the kite back to the water). It works well with larger kites, but with smaller kites, I seem to crash more. So, should the kite be coming down and upon landing be about 30 degrees above the surface? Do you shoot for a range 20-45 degrees?

The common knowledge of either bringing it down when you start to descend or a few meters above the water doesnt seem to make sense because it doesn’t take into consideration variables like descent speed or height.

The idea of slowly always putting pressure on your front hand also seems to put you in an odd body position on higher jumps.

Someone also gave me some good advice in regards to body position. Stated that looping (either front or back hand), or making the kite form an “S” on the way down may pull your body into a better position if it wasn’t exactly right. Tried it; seemed to work when my timing is off, but would rather be able to do high jumps without needing corrections for poor boy position and timing.

The idea of moving it back and forth above your head seems to work, but only with good timing can I land it...more often than not, I need to loop it to get back to a normal body position when I move it back and forth.

Do any of you use these techniques?

Thanks all.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Re: Boosting high question

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 am

When riding from right to left, edge hard and send the kite to about 1 o'clock to boost. If you boost high, you then need to bring the kite back to 12 o'clock to get support ("float") from the kite as you descend. Keep the kite at 12 as you descend. Then pull hard on your left (front) hand about 5-10 feet above the water so that you exit the jump with speed (kite position on landing can be 45-60 degrees).

If you are landing too hard, you are probably not bringing your kite back to 12 o'clock and holding it there long enough to get good support and float on your descent.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:53 am

Sounds pretty much like you already have most of it figured out.

The kite breaks your descent when it flies across the window above your head producing lift. They are not parachutes, they want forward flying speed to create lift. Ideally it ends up pulling you with some forward speed on touchdown, so it has to be past the zenith and into a position ahead of you to do that.

The timing is different for different kites with smaller faster kites needing to be held in pause behind you and pulled forward closer to touchdown than big kites. With really small fast kites or really big airs, you sometimes need to waggle the kite back and forth above you to keep it moving fast and producing lift to keep from coming down too fast. Mostly its about timing that last swipe of the kite to soften the landing and get you traveling forward. With massive airs you end up traveling downwind fast enough and you can helli loop the kite where it actually rips through a part of the loop upwind of you and slows your descent and downwind travel at the same time. For most of us that don't mega loop that is out of our lexicon but downlooping is a great way to kind of attenuate that break fall action of the kite and keep it producing lift throughout the landing, some of which will get you going forward nice and fast again.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:01 am

Get good board speed

Edge against the pull of the kite

Send it while continuing to edge against the pull of the kite

Sheet in and pop at the same time

Then at the height of your boost (meaning you stop gaining altitude) start to send it back into your original direction of travel but while you are doing this sheet out gradually

Then just before you land ( a meter above the water) sheet in and you will land like a light tossed loaf of bread onto a cloud of cotton.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:07 am

Starsky wrote:Sounds pretty much like you already have most of it figured out.

The kite breaks your descent when it flies across the window above your head producing lift. They are not parachutes, they want forward flying speed to create lift. Ideally it ends up pulling you with some forward speed on touchdown, so it has to be past the zenith and into a position ahead of you to do that.

The timing is different for different kites with smaller faster kites needing to be held in pause behind you and pulled forward closer to touchdown than big kites. With really small fast kites or really big airs, you sometimes need to waggle the kite back and forth above you to keep it moving fast and producing lift to keep from coming down too fast. Mostly its about timing that last swipe of the kite to soften the landing and get you traveling forward. With massive airs you end up traveling downwind fast enough and you can helli loop the kite where it actually rips through a part of the loop upwind of you and slows your descent and downwind travel at the same time. For most of us that don't mega loop that is out of our lexicon but downlooping is a great way to kind of attenuate that break fall action of the kite and keep it producing lift throughout the landing, some of which will get you going forward nice and fast again.

This is sound advice. Boosting on smaller faster kites means you need to rely on a faster precise redirect to get a soft landing. There is not enough canopy to float you down nicely. You need to rely on kite speed to do the job. Downloops work sweet too. Obviously they need to be timed well too.

The other thing I do is let the bar out fully aswell. That drops you faster but speeds the kite up and then just be for landing you bar hard in as well as hard redirect can give you a buttery soft landing on a small fast kite.

To be fair bar out, then in just before landing works for larger kites too.

seanflex
Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces

Postby seanflex » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:42 am

I am an average jumper and always looking for higher leaps, I notices some guys are sheeted in from half or more as they send the kite past 12'oclock, never tried but sheeting in 100 before throwing the kite over to 1o'clock better?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:07 am

Totally depends on the kite. C kites you send it hard while sheeted in all the way, sheet out a bit once your up there as not to stall the kite and kill lift, then sheet in again as plummet says, just before touch down.

On my rally (bridled delta type kite) you send it sheeted out and sheet in as the kite shoots to get the vertical lift, definitely sheet out again at apex or your dropping like a stone, and sheet in on landing, but not too much or you stall the kite and kill forward speed.

Incidentally both kites boost really well, just differently. Those are sort of extremes and most kites are somewhere in between.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:43 am

All the above, good advice.

Another aspect to consider (to improve timing) is your body positioning.

After the release, rotate your body (the more the better, but don't do too silly first up) away from the previous direction. Going left, sending kite right...rotate your body to the right. As you fall, this will naturally cause your left hand to pull at the bar for redirection, and your body is kind of working against the redirection of the kite. Timing wise, it also helps you land downwind rather than end up facing to perpendicular to the wind. Your body kind of rotates back in position as the kite moves into the correct redirection position. I find you also 'feel' that lift starsky talks about as the kite moves back across the zenith.

To stabilise even more, as you rotate, drop the front foot and lift the back foot up to your ass.

A lot of people stay far to 'square on' as they jump through the air.

This body rotation (which is really directed by just moving your head that way) also leads you into a correct position if you even want to eventually loop the kite...and god forbid board offs. Or even just basic grabs, going more and more vertical (upside downish).

You are then leaning against the pull of the redirected kite, land downwind and with some speed to ride out of the jump. Also dramatically increases your hangtime.

Of course with a much smaller kite, there is kite movement and positioning as explained. But to be honest learn this on a bigger kite. Smaller kites should really be heli looped, downlooped or even power looped to be honest.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:29 am

Smaller the kite, the less you can treat it like a parachute and the more aggressively you have to redirect over your head to get the little lift for a soft landing. Down loop for landing is a good idea, for small fast kites.

If you're splashing down, you're redirecting too late.
If you're getting pulled over by the kite, you're redirecting too early.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:44 am

most beginners have the same mistake that makes them crash their landing, they never redirect the kite hard enough. the reason is simple enough. every lesson they have had in the past has told them to keep the kite out of the water, so if they see it going towards they water they immediately pull the other way. That's why they find it hard to redirect hard enough you seem to land ok at first, but then you fall backwards. try doing this do a downloop instead when you land. That will get you used to having the kite near the water when you land

Return to “Kitesurfing”