Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ram airs crash in 2015

Forum for kitesurfers
foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ram airs crash in 2015

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Johhnn wrote:foilonfoil I feel the same way when I watch Hawaii's video. Gotta let the kite "breath" as some say. People should not take these videos as representative of foil kites at all.
Exactly the words I use... Kept saying over and over "Let it breathe, let it breathe."

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 pm

The Speed 21 was fully depowered, it was breathing but gutless. Here is a smaller LEI Kite with more power in less wind.
I must admit the new race foil kites are much better than the Speed Series.
After watching the new Sonics wrap the wing tips and falling off the sky so many times, all while my 7 strut Crossbow was still in the air, I am so glad I did not fall for the hype.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 pm

@Hawaiis: All your FS video proves is your lack of skills with foil kites. Its a shame you gave up so fast as the FS 21m is a really good kite for LW, maybe its learning curve is not as steep as a LEI.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:04 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Johhnn wrote:foilonfoil I feel the same way when I watch Hawaii's video. Gotta let the kite "breath" as some say. People should not take these videos as representative of foil kites at all.
Exactly the words I use... Kept saying over and over "Let it breathe, let it breathe."
I agree also :thumb:
Tone was the first one long time ago, who noticed the choking personified activities, hahaha.....

An experienced Foil Kite rider who pays more attention on the statements and videos,
no more proof needed to see the gimmick.
5 years ago most of the people would believe this contradiction,
but not today, because there are more experienced riders with common sense. :lol:

DrLW

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Choking the kite? I would be last last person on the earth to do that, I always ride 100% depowered. The Speed21 was 100% depowered, every time I let out the bar, the wing tip folds, the only way to keep the wing tip from folding was keep the bar in tension. I am happy to be rid of such a kite, the guy who bought my kite thought he could fix the problem, he turn around and sold it.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Hawaiis wrote:Choking the kite?

This is an example from your video... As you attempt to turn the kite back up the window, need to bar out to let the kite breathe and climb back up the window. You dud the same thing again at 5:21.

I get that you can't be bothered with foils but your foil technique sucks. Your hydrofoil and strapless technique is awesome.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Did you see the wing tip folding in that picture? If I let out anymore, the kite will collapse.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Yes, I see the wing tip is folded. If you let out on the bar and pull on the right side, the kite would fly towards zenith and fill back with air.

I find in very light wind with some gusts that when the kite falls back in the window, I let out on the bar and it flies towards zenith. Then, if a small gust hits as the kite flies up towards zenith, I pull in on the bar to make sure it doesn't overfly.

I'm sorry to write it again, but it really is technique. I fly these kites all the time and in all kinds of conditions--even in the rain. I have an old 19 m Speed 3. The material is porous, but it still flies and I don't have these types of problems.

It's fine if you've moved on from foils and have found something that works for you. I have been taking my camera on my helmet a lot lately. If I have the opportunity in light wind to show you what I do, I will try to get some video to share.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Hawaiis wrote:
hwdanger259.jpg
hwdanger259.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
KBHF Less than 10m upwind of people. Above
Kite directly over peoples heads in turn less than 5 meters. Below
If you did anything like this at our spots you would be forcefully asked to leave!
Wonder why your spot might be banned?
R H
Attachments
hwdanger2.jpg
hwdanger2.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Hawaiis wrote:Did you see the wing tip folding in that picture? If I let out anymore, the kite will collapse.
In terms of priorities, number one is getting the kite moving and back up the window and number two is the tip tuck. The tip tuck will likely open up as you sine back down the window.

The one skill you are not demonstrating on your LEI or your Foil kite is down looping the kite. For me, once at the top of the window, I would have down looped the kite away from the direction I want to travel and as the kite comes sweeping up into the direction you want to travel, your tip would be open and you will have enough power to get up and running...

So help me out... How do you water start your foil strapless??

Return to “Kitesurfing”