Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

how to crash give me your tips!

Postby edt » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:01 pm

so we have posts on how to do all sorts of tricks, unhooked hooked wave wake. but how do you crash good? let me hear your tips on what to do when you are going to crash, both in the flat and waves and not get hurt too bad

the only thing I know right now is the trick of landing butt first if you are going to crash. saves your ankles from getting broken on the bottom

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: how to crash give me your tips!

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:37 pm

Good topic, I have had a few crash while learning to jump (uncontrolled rotation with or without uncontrolled kiteloop because of disorientation)
The one that hurt the most is when falling flat on ribs or back. It usually knocks the wind out of you.
I have had a few balls smack but nothing bad.

+1 for Butt first, only drawback is that there is a small chance of getting your balls smacked but that's pretty rare.

Avoid putting your hand arm out that could dislocate your shoulder and perhaps break arm.
What do I do with my arms right before impact: I usually bring my arms close to my body and stick out elbow slightly before impact hoping I will break water surface this way it is not a flat impact on ribs. Not sure if this is a good idea in case elbow hit bottom...

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 pm

In my opinion, crashing safely is all about knowing that you are going to crash and knowing your body position/kite position to react correctly. There are many scenarios.

1. Flat Water and/or light chop with board off feet: I let go of bar and get into a fetal position to protect my head and bring my knees close to my body and try to hit butt first - like a cannon ball. Also engage your core like you are doing a crunch. This is if I have no time to use the kite to slow me down. If I still have time, I def use the kite to pendulum to slow me down.

2. Same as 1 but with board still on feet - this one is tricky: If you do the same position above your board may smack the water hard and force your knee into your face/nose/orbital bone. not good... So I try to get my board off my feet. Sometimes that doesn't always happen so I try (key word try) to enter the water like Im diving with the board behind me. Again, all assuming you cant use the kite to slow down your fwd momentum. If I cant get myself into a dive position, then its get the knees up with board on and butt first. If the board is loose on just one foot - this is bad as you can damage a knee in this scenario. When this happens I try to enter with my butt first and keep knees bent - I think most knee injuries happen when the let is straightened and the first to contact the water at high speed.

Truth is - there really is no way to plan out a crash as your momentum, rotation, and angle of impact is highly variable. Sometimes is just bad luck if you get injured as the violent nature of your crash doesn't allow you the time to make the proper decision.

In the surf? I think there was recent thread about this - but the key thing here is keep your kite in the air to use as a rescue device to keep you above the water while you are getting worked in a set. If you kite falls and gets eaten by the wave, its highly debatable to keep the kite attached to pull you to shore with the waves or to detach. This is highly variable decision based on wave size and if you are out at sea on a reef break or close to shore. My number one thought under any waves crash scenario - keep the kite in the air!! If it falls and gets eaten, I keep it attached to pull me to shore as I usually don't ride in waves bigger than head high knowing the risk of ripped kite is OK with me as Id rather have myself pulled out of a dangerous mess than the fear of damaging my gear.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Not for every situation, but If you know you are going to hit hard, maybe consider releasing your CL prior to impact. This way if you are incapacitated by the impact, your not still attached to a powered kite. I realize this is for a pretty rare circumstance, but it is something I had not really considered before my recent accident.

I can also vouch for the fact that a shallow bottom will break your ankle. I can't say whether or not that is better than a broken ass. I hope not to find out.

I also now am a believer in impact vests and helmets even when nothing extreme is going on. Always better to bash foam and plastic before skin and bones.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Don't tense up your body, just makes everything worse.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Don't tense up your body, just makes everything worse.
Reminds me of this story. Dog barely broke anything falling from 11 story building thanks to its body being relaxed.
http://www.inquisitr.com/2538518/bonzos ... ia-a-buzz/

There are stories of people surviving high falls because they passed out so body was limped and muscles relaxed.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:14 am

Relax and enjoy the hit. Make yourself small.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 am

Get rid of the board.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:03 am

Get flat. If in deep water I go for my back easy to ride away from. In shallow water I prefer to belly flop. Never put feet or arms down in shallow water. By shallow I mean anytime you could hit the bottom.

Learn ways to save yourself from crashing before you get in that position. Things like how to recover the kite you over send or helicopter loops to slow you down while jumping in high wind. Knowing when to come in cause your too tired and making too many mistakes.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Been thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 am

I don't think there is a right way to crash. Whenever you do a trick just hope everything is going to be alright and maybe it will...

Return to “Kitesurfing”