johnniek2
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 10m2
Woodboard CRBN 135
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

New Bar set up - Nowhere to attach the red safety line

Postby johnniek2 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:17 pm

I have finally bought an older (2012) but new/not used bar only from North, bought new dyneema lines and tried to set-up a new bar with parts of my old set up (chicken loop, trimmer etc.)
I stumbbled upon a problem as I dont have where to attach the red safety line?
see image:
003_barsetup.jpg
003_barsetup.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
The Y is very low on this bar, just about 1 meter or less from the trimmer:
004_barsetup.jpg
so thats to short to attach it there. My old frontlines (middle lines) had this solution originaly:
old.jpg
ball.jpg
any idea how to attach the saftey line now again? all 4 lines are new, and I was looking online for some solutions, but found nothing so far. I understand if I try to tie a knot trough a ring (on wich I could attach the red safety line or so it would weaken the line and it could break?

is there any solution for this set up? anybody with some experience on this?

thanks in advance
Attachments
003_barsetup.jpg
003_barsetup.jpg (153.5 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

BenatNorth
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River - Baja
Style: Surf
Gear: North Kites
Brand Affiliation: Sales Rep, East Coast, Mid-West,
Gulf Coast, Caribbean, Mexico, Central & South America.
Has thanked: 0

Re: New Bar set up - Nowhere to attach the red safety line

Postby BenatNorth » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:30 am

John, Hopefully this diagram will help solve your troubles!
Attachments
47041936.png

johnniek2
Rare Poster
Woodboard CRBN 135

Postby johnniek2 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 am

Thank you for your reply, (its a 4 line set up) the problem is I dont have north lines only 4 equal 24m dyneema lines and an old depower trimmer and floaters and rest from the spleene bar.

everything is SET, I just need to know how to attach the red sfaetly line to one of my front lines so the kite can be retrieved after safety release.

is there a way/technique to attach one to each other?
as you see on my old yellow lines image, one of the front lines and like an loop sewed on?

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Your old line picture above is just a bury splice.

If your new lines aren't hollow this won't work for you...

Get a piece of line the same diameter as your front line, and then bury both the tails (cut them to taper afterward). I like to use a piece of framing wire to pull it through. Make sure you have 73* the line diameter worth of buried tail. Your fly line will shorten very slightly. When you're done, hand stitch a lock stitch or use a brummel splice (I'd do the lock stitch).

http://www.animatedknots.com/longbury/

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:47 pm

When you start replacing lines on your bars deviating from manufacturers specifications, you need to know what you are doing and any improvisation needs to be safe.

1. Splice or sew a loop into your new lines. If they are not q-line, this is actually simple to do.
2. Front line attachment with an attachment from another manufacturers single line flag system that allows for a depower line to be attached to a front line - Cabrinha, Ozone, or Flysurfer Race to name a few have this capability.

I have modded a few bars and I would say that for what appears to be a simple problem can get messy quickly. As an example, the internal diameter of the barrel in the flysurfer chicken loop is too narrow to allow a thicker/stronger front line.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:22 pm

BenatNorth wrote:John, Hopefully this diagram will help solve your troubles!
Has Dan been relieved of forum support? :P

johnniek2
Rare Poster
Woodboard CRBN 135

Postby johnniek2 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am

t3rse wrote:Your old line picture above is just a bury splice.

If your new lines aren't hollow this won't work for you...

Get a piece of line the same diameter as your front line, and then bury both the tails (cut them to taper afterward). I like to use a piece of framing wire to pull it through. Make sure you have 73* the line diameter worth of buried tail. Your fly line will shorten very slightly. When you're done, hand stitch a lock stitch or use a brummel splice (I'd do the lock stitch).

http://www.animatedknots.com/longbury/
thanks for your reply, are you sure this is called a bury splice? when I take a closer look it hasnt much to do with the animates knots images?
it looks like additional piece of line is sewed to the main line?

johnniek2
Rare Poster
Woodboard CRBN 135

Postby johnniek2 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 am

foilonfoil wrote:When you start replacing lines on your bars deviating from manufacturers specifications, you need to know what you are doing and any improvisation needs to be safe.

1. Splice or sew a loop into your new lines. If they are not q-line, this is actually simple to do.
2. Front line attachment with an attachment from another manufacturers single line flag system that allows for a depower line to be attached to a front line - Cabrinha, Ozone, or Flysurfer Race to name a few have this capability.

I have modded a few bars and I would say that for what appears to be a simple problem can get messy quickly. As an example, the internal diameter of the barrel in the flysurfer chicken loop is too narrow to allow a thicker/stronger front line.
First of all thanks for your reply:
this are the lines (new ones I bought):
s-l1600.jpg

are they ok for splicing or sewing a new loop?
is there a video somewhere?
I dont take any risks, temporary I have put back my original lines untill I make a proper solution.

thanks again

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:01 pm

1) yeah u can splice those lines
2) yes there are videos for splicing it's not too hard
3) do you know what kind of bar you have? is it a quad trust 4 line 2012 bar?
4) measure the lines you have now and just duplicate what you have on your new lines. This will probably require splicing or sleeving

I believe the line lengths of the 2012 north quad trust bar are not even that is the front lines are shorter than the back lines the reason is that high Y, there are three thick lines that come up from the bar to the Y split, you will want to reuse these thick lines or buy more thick lines to replace them. Standard kite line is right around 1.75mm these thick center lines are a bit thicker maybe 2mm.

It's not hard to do this but you have to know how your bar works. You can't put equal line lengths onto a bar with a high Y and thick center line unless you redesign how the control system works, or unless the leaders happen to match up correctly. If you just slap on some equal line lengths and throw away all the Y lines, when you hit the quick release, the bar won't move it will get stuck on that new V you made.

It's very simple in practice. Just sew/splice, cut and make all your new lines exactly like your old ones. If you design something new, that is if you want to change the high Y to a low V, you better know what you are doing so the safety works.

If this is not a quad trust 4 line bar but instead a 5 line bar, you can do pretty much what you want with the lines, this is because if your 5th line is the safety then you can change from a high Y to a low V and it won't change how the safety works.

good luck.

johnniek2
Rare Poster
Woodboard CRBN 135

Postby johnniek2 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:38 pm

edt wrote:1) yeah u can splice those lines
2) yes there are videos for splicing it's not too hard
3) do you know what kind of bar you have? is it a quad trust 4 line 2012 bar?
4) measure the lines you have now and just duplicate what you have on your new lines. This will probably require splicing or sleeving

I believe the line lengths of the 2012 north quad trust bar are not even that is the front lines are shorter than the back lines the reason is that high Y, there are three thick lines that come up from the bar to the Y split, you will want to reuse these thick lines or buy more thick lines to replace them. Standard kite line is right around 1.75mm these thick center lines are a bit thicker maybe 2mm.

It's not hard to do this but you have to know how your bar works. You can't put equal line lengths onto a bar with a high Y and thick center line unless you redesign how the control system works, or unless the leaders happen to match up correctly. If you just slap on some equal line lengths and throw away all the Y lines, when you hit the quick release, the bar won't move it will get stuck on that new V you made.

It's very simple in practice. Just sew/splice, cut and make all your new lines exactly like your old ones. If you design something new, that is if you want to change the high Y to a low V, you better know what you are doing so the safety works.

If this is not a quad trust 4 line bar but instead a 5 line bar, you can do pretty much what you want with the lines, this is because if your 5th line is the safety then you can change from a high Y to a low V and it won't change how the safety works.

good luck.
everything is well set, measured and done (tested for 1 hour yesterday)... I can not find a video how to create a loop like this on the image (the loop is in the middle of one center line):
loop.jpg
??? thats why I brought back the old middle lines that have this loop...
I can find videos that splice na create loop line ends of the lines and I dont need that, what I need is a technique or way how to recreate a loop like this on the new lines?
is that possible at all. I have very low Y and all lines the same length seem pretty ok, maybe side steering lines are bit loose, but I can set them on second another knot if needed...

Return to “Kitesurfing”