Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Switch Kite Serious safety issue with the Bar Controller

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 pm

I have a Controller 3 and it flags out just fine. Moreover, you could say this about any bar. My Naish bars and swivel hasn't allowed the kite to flag out a number of times in the past, especially after I have a few twists in the lines. These things happen in kiting, everyone will experience a kitemare given enough time. So chill and send love. If you don't like the swivel just take 5 minutes and drill a bigger hole or switch it out. Easy.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:33 am

I used the V2 for a while. Only flagged it twice with no problems (from accidental chickken loop release). My friend on his 12 dice used it (I was on a 13 dyno) pushed out luck once in a storm front and got hit by 40 plus winds so hit the releases after we lost all steering capability. The V2 flagged his dice just fine.

BUT, i do think that swivel hole diameter needs looking at (personally I'd just get rid of the whole thing, the below bar swivel is all you need) as I did note there was 'potential' to cause issues there.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:07 am

Exactly, get rid of the troublesome above bar swivel - like many top brands have. Instead Switch have burried their head in the sand on this SAFETY issue.

switchkites
Medium Poster
Gear: SwitchKites
Brand Affiliation: SwitchKites
Been thanked: 0

Postby switchkites » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 am

To all customers:
In some instances, riders expect lower forces required to flag their kite. For example, if the kite is parked at the water's edge in light wind and the quick release is activated, the bar may not flag on one single line without an additional tug. In this situation, the kite will de-power on both front lines similar to North’s Quad bar, F-One’s and many others. However, once the kite powers up downwind and higher forces are applied, the kite will instantly flag out. Should it not, please no longer use your bar and contact us at warranty@switchkites.com immediately. We will respond within 48 hours to all inquiries.
Thank you.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:53 pm

switchkites wrote:To all customers:
In some instances, riders expect lower forces required to flag their kite. For example, if the kite is parked at the water's edge in light wind and the quick release is activated, the bar may not flag on one single line without an additional tug. In this situation, the kite will de-power on both front lines similar to North’s Quad bar, F-One’s and many others. However, once the kite powers up downwind and higher forces are applied, the kite will instantly flag out. Should it not, please no longer use your bar and contact us at warranty@switchkites.com immediately. We will respond within 48 hours to all inquiries.
Thank you.
This is awesome!! Thanks Switch

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha

Postby RomanC » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:01 pm

I've had that happen on a V2 bar after I changed to new switch lines. The kite started to loop and the line would still not go through the swivel. I got dragged for maybe two meters and then hit the leash release, sending the kite/bar downwind. I have changed the setup to use a two line safety release, which is less error-prone but is less ideal in wave riding situations.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Osprey1 wrote: My Naish bars and swivel hasn't allowed the kite to flag out a number of times in the past, especially after I have a few twists in the lines.
Any time I have a swivel that fails I replace it. I have about 5 control bars right now and all of them will QR and flag to 1 line every time and I have tested them extensively to make sure. If it fails I replace it with one that always works. It's a lot easier to ride hard and thrown down when you trust your equipment. As for the "It works when it really needs to" theory. Aka you just need to tug hard on the safety for it to work. I am not in that camp. What if you are in light wind, the kite won't relaunch and you are in front of a seawall? The kite is pulling you slowly into the shit and if you hit the QR it won't go off because there's not enough pull. I have seen that sort of situation enough. Another situation is when the wind turns offshore but light and the kite drops. You hit the QR and the kite still pulls. You need that kite for flotation and an easy swim back. If that QR doesn't go off your only option is to do a full release and not only you lose the kite you have a horrible swim back. For me I only run safeties that fire easily and under the lightest load. If it won't fire in light wind I don't want it. Period. You can run it if you want. Not for me.

Like the original poster said, I thought the switch problem might be solved by drilling out the hole in the swivel and replacing the elastic flag out line below the swivel with a bit thicker line, but the metal in the swivel is just too thin to drill out any more.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:44 am

edt wrote:
Osprey1 wrote: My Naish bars and swivel hasn't allowed the kite to flag out a number of times in the past, especially after I have a few twists in the lines.
Any time I have a swivel that fails I replace it. I have about 5 control bars right now and all of them will QR and flag to 1 line every time and I have tested them extensively to make sure. If it fails I replace it with one that always works. It's a lot easier to ride hard and thrown down when you trust your equipment. As for the "It works when it really needs to" theory. Aka you just need to tug hard on the safety for it to work. I am not in that camp. What if you are in light wind, the kite won't relaunch and you are in front of a seawall? The kite is pulling you slowly into the shit and if you hit the QR it won't go off because there's not enough pull. I have seen that sort of situation enough. Another situation is when the wind turns offshore but light and the kite drops. You hit the QR and the kite still pulls. You need that kite for flotation and an easy swim back. If that QR doesn't go off your only option is to do a full release and not only you lose the kite you have a horrible swim back. For me I only run safeties that fire easily and under the lightest load. If it won't fire in light wind I don't want it. Period. You can run it if you want. Not for me.

Like the original poster said, I thought the switch problem might be solved by drilling out the hole in the swivel and replacing the elastic flag out line below the swivel with a bit thicker line, but the metal in the swivel is just too thin to drill out any more.
This is indeed the issue i mentioned. Also i tried with the Naish Bar even in very light wind the line can perfectly slide through the swivel.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:23 pm

I have a couple cabrina bars and I bought this switch bar ~August 2015 b/c it looked like a ton more depower and at least I think it does have at least double if not more than the cab bar. I've had it in 15-18mph winds with a 17m pulling pretty hard and it will continuing flying if I don't give it a little pull on the leash. So I did as suggested and drilled the hole out last night with a 9/64" drill bit which is 3.57mm.

Make sure you hold the swivel with pliers b/c it will heat up on you, then I filed it down gently with a small round file and replaced the line and the line is snug enough to stay in place but moves so much better now. :thumb:

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:35 pm

In my previous post I mentioned I really have't had to pull the QR but that changed while on vacation in PR mid December. I accidentally unhooked (the new donkey stick is no better than the previous version) and my kite depowered perfectly with the bar running up the lines a good 20 feet. And the winds were on the lighter side.

Not sure if this is an across the board problem but hope it gets fixed soon.

Return to “Kitesurfing”