rretzlaff
Rare Poster
Gear: Caution
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo Infinite Bar - any reviews?

Postby rretzlaff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:29 am

I'm looking for a bar with max throw for kite depower and below the bar trim. The OR Infinite Bar seems to fit the bill. Anyone have a review, positive or negative, on the system?
Last edited by rretzlaff on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Ocean Rodeo Infinite Bar

Postby BillyKP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:52 am

yes its my favourite bar for the max throw reason (really important in strong overpowered conditions)...gives you that extra inch or 2 of depower that you don't get with other bars..... but also when doing tricks/kiteloops/rotations and things go wrong and you need to let go of the bar too....the bar will travel quite far up the centerline after getting yanked.... you will need to recover the bar and then reset the stopper ball to the appropriate reach.

p.s. I teach on Ocean Rodeo gear and also sell it....so yep I'm biased.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:46 am

I have one, not a fan.

It's not a single flag out line, I've had the bar tangle around the center line rope when ejecting on my OR Rise 7m. OR said I can't convert it to a single flag out line and they wouldn't support the conversion period. Wont use this bar after this incident as is.

The old OR quick release is a poor design compared to their new quick release. It takes A LOT of force and distance to release the sewn release pin.
Look at the length of this thing.

It does have the long bar throw. But the pin that holds the bar stopper broke. The lines, swivel seem OK. The bar feels pretty cheap.

rretzlaff
Rare Poster
Gear: Caution
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rretzlaff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Norcom, thanks for the feedback. Has the line tangle happened more than once or was it an isolated event? What about the bar feels cheap? Is it just light and therefor feels cheap? Are you hard on your gear?

Anyone else have feedback or a review?

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Ocean Rodeo Infinite Bar - any reviews?

Postby madworld » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 pm

I have used these bars for years (previously marketed as the "Safety Bar", they are great. The safety and flag out work fine, the quick release has a long throw to prevent accidental auto eject. They do not feel or look cheap to me.
20151113_150425.jpg

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I've used the OR kite/bar combo about five times in the last year and a half. Not much use for the 7m here. The bar tangling around the center rope lines happened twice. The first time I believe was my fault from messing around. The second time is the reason I wont use this bar again. The kite inverted and started pulling me and it took A LOT of effort to eject. I recall struggling to eject the qr quite vividly. Once ejected the kite wouldn't depower because the bar somehow wrapped around the rope. I believe a single, thin, center line that would have wrapped in a similar way would have had a better chance flagging compared to the thicker rope. I don't recall how exactly the bar got tangled after ejecting, perhaps because the kite was already inverted and still pulling.

The bar feels cheap compared to my Slingshot and Cabrinha bars. Also have the Best and Airush bars which feel nicer in hand. It works but it's nothing fancy. I don't recall if it's on the light or heavy side. I haven't looked at it in a while.

The throw is huge on it though, so it does have that.

Sh`t happens. Any equipment can fail, tangle and have issues. The bar scared me enough not to use it again from the way that it handled in a bad situation. The quick release wasn't quick and the depower system failed, perhaps others have better luck with it.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster

Postby madworld » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Ocean Rodeo infinite bar $349.

https://store.oceanrodeo.com/p/3869

Cabrinha Bar-- cheapest bar they offer $429

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2016-cab ... -trimlite/

Naish-- cheapest bar $439

http://www.realwatersports.com/2015-201 ... ol-bar-24m

Ocean Rodeo MSRP is $$ less with a better warranty.

The price point Cabrinha Bar does not have a comparable amount of de-power, the Naish price point bar looks similar to the Ocean Rodeo bar and of comparable quality to the Ocean Rodeo Bar. :jump: :argue: :rollgrin: :angryfire: :roll: :bye:

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:15 pm

The infinite bar is the old design, their new design bar is $429
https://store.oceanrodeo.com/p/32720

The first reply had one post about how great OR is. Looking at madworld's old posts, they're mostly about OR. Some trustworthy reviews. :roll: Feels like this place has way too many sponsored posts.

Oh and madworld, regarding your comment that:
"the quick release has a long throw to prevent accidental auto eject"
Why doesn't the new bar have that "feature"?

madworld
Very Frequent Poster

Postby madworld » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:21 pm

12227123_441508636052945_414180541131385723_n.jpg
12227123_441508636052945_414180541131385723_n.jpg (14.55 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
norcom wrote:The infinite bar is the old design, their new design bar is $429
https://store.oceanrodeo.com/p/32720

The first reply had one post about how great OR is. Looking at madworld's old posts, they're mostly about OR. Some trustworthy reviews. :roll: Feels like this place has way too many sponsored posts.

Oh and madworld, regarding your comment that:
"the quick release has a long throw to prevent accidental auto eject"
Why doesn't the new bar have that "feature"?
The new Ocean Rodeo bar is a different model comparable to higher priced Naish and Cabrinha Bars. Different price point and features.

The infinite surf is the updated surf bar, they used to market as the Safety bar. Different price point and features.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Norcom, drop me an email or PM and let's get that old bar swapped out for the new Control Bar. Can't do a direct swap due to the use / age of the bar you have but I will do something good for you to get you using a bar you like with a safety system you are confident in.

Regarding Mad World and the sense that he is making sponsored posts... man, I wish! Ha... our company doesn't provide any incentives to 'pimp' on the forums, rather - we just try our best to keep customers happy and we ask that they spread the word.

To answer your concerns re: eject. I would ask / suggest that you try ejecting the bar again. We found the older release cuff easy to eject. The only thought I have is that it's likely that due to your tangle the bar somehow was limiting the travel of the release.

Of note: all of our bars - older style release and newer release on the Control Bar - feature cuffs that can be released even when the bar is jammed up against the cuff. This is important as some brands continue to sell cuffs that will not release if the bar is some how jammed up against the bar.

Now, onto the Infinite Trim bar and the OP - As the name implies, the bar has near infinite trim ability. It is best for use in the surf when you want the longest possible throw. As Norcom points out it relies on a 2 line roll over depower. This system has worked well for us for 6+ years but there are detractors out there who prefer front line single re-ride which is why we introduced the Control Bar.

Retzlaff, if you get in touch with me I can connect you with a local dealer who likely would be able to let you demo the bar. It is a very basic bar but we look at this as a strength. The price is lower as a result, the parts are easily maintained and replaced and the eject is very simple to re-set when on the water...

John Z

Return to “Kitesurfing”