RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Lifeguards Learn About Kiting

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:03 pm

The annual USLA Lifesaving Training Officer Academy is on and we will provide an orientation to kitesurfing, some of the basics, interacting with kiters, emergency scenarios as in past years. Big thanks to Paula and Kent for your excellent help in making this happen yet again and to Luke for all your work over the years! A lot of this should be common knowledge to kiters to help avoid problems, so please look over information and videos at the following link.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2391049&p=912136#p912136

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lifeguards Learn About Kiting

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Kitesurfers and lifeguards (I am both) should get together to discuss how kiteboarders may be able to assists life guards in certain situations.

Last summer it was a big surf day and a swimmer got caught in a rip current, taking him directly into the pounding waves. The lifeguard tried to use their board to paddle out but could not get past the shore pound. She had a heck of a time trying to swim out past the pounding waves too.

It would have been very easy for me to grab a flotation device, kite in the vicinity of the endangered swimmer and drop the flotation device within reach. I had been kiteboarding the waves all day and had no problem getting past shore pound.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:21 pm

You're right and yes we really should. We talked about putting together guidelines for kiters looking to aid people in distress on here. I spoke to Gio Serrano about it, a senior lifeguard and trainer who put some content together. Outside of formal training it is a difficult task to provide some written descriptions and images to address feasible scenarios. As you know the rescuer is always at risk to varying degrees, tempered by experience and adequate training. Still guidelines or not kitesurfers will act to help others, There have been many cases through the years. If you would be interested in helping out I would be happy to forward to you by email what we started with for your input. If this works please PM your email address and thanks.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:38 pm

NHKitesurfer wrote:Kitesurfers and lifeguards (I am both) should get together to discuss how kiteboarders may be able to assists life guards in certain situations.

Last summer it was a big surf day and a swimmer got caught in a rip current, taking him directly into the pounding waves. The lifeguard tried to use their board to paddle out but could not get past the shore pound. She had a heck of a time trying to swim out past the pounding waves too.

It would have been very easy for me to grab a flotation device, kite in the vicinity of the endangered swimmer and drop the flotation device within reach. I had been kiteboarding the waves all day and had no problem getting past shore pound.

We've had quite a few instances here where we as kiters got to people way before the lifeguards. These days they have a jetski, but back in the day they had to call it in and that would easily take 45 mins.

Btw. Great effort as usual Rick!!! :thumb: :thumb:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Thank you Alex. As I recall from the last thread you may be the personal record holder for distressed swimmer assists out in Hawaii that I've heard about anywhere! I was hoping to put together something with useful meaningful content, looks like we may have another whack at it now.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Last thing you want to do is put the kiteboarder at risk, compounding the problem or even worse, have the kite go down and entangle other swimmers really compounding the problem. I suggested the kiteboarder dropping a flotation device within the vicinity to mitigate any risk, however there is always the potential. But there are other scenarios which should be investigated.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19 pm

We picked up on that suggestion in May, it is a good one. Kiters can use their mobility and excellent field of view to advantage. I just went into the PPT presentation and added some more content. It would be great to have your input on this NHKitesurfer if you are willing. It is still in preparation hence my reluctance to post it openly quite yet.

Thank you!
NHKitesurfer wrote:Last thing you want to do is put the kiteboarder at risk, compounding the problem or even worse, have the kite go down and entangle other swimmers really compounding the problem. I suggested the kiteboarder dropping a flotation device within the vicinity to mitigate any risk, however there is always the potential. But there are other scenarios which should be investigated.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:26 am

good topic here ...

I do a course for the beachpatrol here on South Padre every spring. One of the most practical and useful parts of it which they end up putting to real life use, is simply how to grab a down kite that is drifting in and carry it onto the beach.

Riders end up swimming in / drifting in with kites in the water (when wind dies and cant relaunch or deflated/tangled/released etc) and the guards end up grabbing the gear before it washes over the people that inevitably are just standing there looking at it drifting into them.

Its always kind of amusing watching the guards struggle with the gear at first, and a good reminder that people that dont kite or havent been shown really have no idea how to handle kite gear.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:45 am

Thank you for your input, good to know. I have a video on dealing with runaway kites, more specially one driven with some power in stronger wind. Any impressions on this based on your experiences in Texas?

Have you come up with a simple, reliable external way of dealing without out of control looping kites?

Still more HERE

Thanks,
bnthere wrote:good topic here ...

I do a course for the beachpatrol here on South Padre every spring. One of the most practical and useful parts of it which they end up putting to real life use, is simply how to grab a down kite that is drifting in and carry it onto the beach.

Riders end up swimming in / drifting in with kites in the water (when wind dies and cant relaunch or deflated/tangled/released etc) and the guards end up grabbing the gear before it washes over the people that inevitably are just standing there looking at it drifting into them.

Its always kind of amusing watching the guards struggle with the gear at first, and a good reminder that people that dont kite or havent been shown really have no idea how to handle kite gear.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:23 am

The USLA is updating a publication on open water rescue and has asked for a short module on kiteboarder rescue tied to more detailed references. We have provided training to the USLA since 2008 at various venues. I came up with the following expanded upon at viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2391049&p=912136#p912136 Any critical input missing? (the outline format was messed up pasting this here btw) Thank you!

"Kiteboarder Assessment & Rescue - March 2016 *

I. Introduction
A. Kiteboarding is widespread in coastal and lake areas throughout USA with variable levels of skill and experience.
B. Kiters may appear to need help but may only require monitoring as they attempt to slowly self-rescue.
C. Kiters may need rescue assistance and be able bodied or disabled.
D. Rescuers should understand assessment and be practiced in various means of rescue while protecting themselves, their rescue craft and bystanders from kite and lines.
E. It is important to arrange rescuer orientation with qualified kiteboarder instructors/leaders to provide hands on training in proper procedures.

II. Kiteboarder Assessment From Shore and Water
A. Able bodied kiteboarder in process of self-rescuing.
B. Able bodied kiteboarder in apparent need of assistance.
C. Impaired or distressed kiteboarder signs, risk factors, kite stabilization & rescue.

III. Assisting In Landing & Securing Kite
A. Kiteboarder may require assistance on beach and safety may be best served by providing it.
B. Things to do and not do in assisting kite landing & securing or disabling kite from relaunching.
C. Never grab kite lines, where to securely hold kite.
D. Runaway kites, why and how to contain, intercept and secure.

IV. Personal Watercraft Based Kiter Rescue Considerations
A. Two trained rescuers on RIBB, Waverunner or other powered craft is best.
B. Rescue may be feasible from paddleboard and kayak with care.
C. Assessment, able bodied kiteboarder capable of assisting or distressed kiteboarder requiring full assistance or immediate rescue.
D. Precautions approaching from upwind, kite line sinks from sight & can foul propellers or impellors.
E. Freeing kite (“pull red”) and securing kiteboarder, means of kite recovery as appropriate.

V. Kiteboarding Injuries

Additional resources at:
* “USLA Lifesaving Training Officer Academy - Kiting Orientation - 2013, 2014, 2015” viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2391049&p=912136#p912136
Gio Serrano, Safety & Rescue Training, LLC - http://www.safetyrescuetraining.com
Rick Iossi, Florida Kitesurfing Association, Inc. - http://fksa.org/
Paula Ambrosio-Marinkovic, Adventure Sports Miami"

Return to “Kitesurfing”