Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Torn knee ligament advice with kitesurfing

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Torn knee ligament advice with kitesurfing

Postby SpaceRacer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:09 pm

On October 15, I was riding a strapped surfboard and went to land a downloop transition I've done 1000 times and my back foot came out of the strap while the front left foot remained strapped. You know the rest. Complete tear of my MCL and PCL ripped right off the femur. The good news is I have had surgery most fortunately with one of the US's most renowned knee surgeons (Dr. Jo Hannafin for future reference lol) and after surgery, my knee is solid and the rest of my knee looks great and I should make a complete recovery in 6 months. When I come back in 6 months, which I am already dreaming about, I will want to take it easy on the water for a while. So my next question is one that I know has been asked before but I am finding a hard time getting a clear answer. Would I be better off going back onto my twin tip where I feel most comfortable or should I come back on a strapless surfboard? I am 47yo, in shape and consider myself an advanced kiteboarder. I have been kite surfing for 10 years, mostly on a strapped surfboard, which I did learn could be the most detrimental to knees. But what about twintip vs strapless? Twintip feels comfy and solid and I could do an entire 3 hour session just surfing around without falling. Or do I get into strapless, which I have done but never really got into but have always wanted to? I realize that straps and bindings in general can be an issue on knees but I am also concerned about a slippery deck of a strapless surfboard for a slowly recovering knee. Thoughts or references would be much appreciated.

Thank you

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Torn knee ligament advice with kitesurfing

Postby vkngktr » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Though Ive never torn an ACL I have had issues with my knees as well as a Total Hip. From my experience strapless surfboard riding puts the least strain on all parts if your body but in particular the lower body. Most injuries Ive had come from a twisting motion which is pretty hard to do strapless. As far as slipping off the board either put a pad or good coat of wax on it.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:18 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:On October 15, I was riding a strapped surfboard and went to land a downloop transition I've done 1000 times and my back foot came out of the strap while the front left foot remained strapped. You know the rest. Complete tear of my MCL and PCL ripped right off the femur. The good news is I have had surgery most fortunately with one of the US's most renowned knee surgeons (Dr. Jo Hannafin for future reference lol) and after surgery, my knee is solid and the rest of my knee looks great and I should make a complete recovery in 6 months. When I come back in 6 months, which I am already dreaming about, I will want to take it easy on the water for a while. So my next question is one that I know has been asked before but I am finding a hard time getting a clear answer. Would I be better off going back onto my twin tip where I feel most comfortable or should I come back on a strapless surfboard? I am 47yo, in shape and consider myself an advanced kiteboarder. I have been kite surfing for 10 years, mostly on a strapped surfboard, which I did learn could be the most detrimental to knees. But what about twintip vs strapless? Twintip feels comfy and solid and I could do an entire 3 hour session just surfing around without falling. Or do I get into strapless, which I have done but never really got into but have always wanted to? I realize that straps and bindings in general can be an issue on knees but I am also concerned about a slippery deck of a strapless surfboard for a slowly recovering knee. Thoughts or references would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I've torn ACL plus partially MCL and three months already passed since my surgery.
Decided to have old school session,removed the boots,set the straps,hooked kiteloop backroll..
Voilà.

I'd share some thoughts if you don't mind...
Honestly, you /we/ have long road ahead, and setting dead lines is a good thing, but it may apear wrong strategy also.
As far straps,boots or strapless question... I only know what I think /or I am willing/ to do.

Good brace
These "proffesionals" from Ossur didn't bother to respond to my emails...

Back to boots when I'm READY.

The tunnels drilled in my femur and tibia, the screw, the new ligament - everything should heal completely after one year, although I was told that 6 months and I'll be OK..

L.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Ive already pushed this on the forum....but you might want to demo a duke.
Its a strapless knee saver....

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Goodluck on the healing! Should take about 12 months before 100 % again.

My advise: go for the strapless, which is way easier on the knees, and add another dimension t your riding.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:02 pm

My knee was acting up so I had an MRI - damage to my meniscus from multiple impacts per my knee doctor. He opted not to do surgery and advised me to build knee strength and let it heal. If it does not then I go in to get it cleaned up.

Most of the impact has come from jumping on a twin tip so I try to get in as much time on the strapless surfboard as possible. This has helped me from doing further damage to my knee as it seems to feel great these days.

For a board you can add deck pads or even look into a versatraction pad which I added to the deck of the Slingshot T-Rex wherever the pads don't cover (middle of board and the entire tip) - some use wax too so go with what you like best. After using versatraction I am a big fan.

Good luck with your knee and have fun making the jump over to strapless. It's a lot of fun and very comfortable given you can place your feet wherever it feels the most comfortable for your knees and hips. My stance is a bit far off from where straps would be given I ride goofy foot.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:58 am

I've never had a single joint problem other than a nasty disc that doesn't love me, and I'd like to keep my knees in tip top shape

There was a thread a while back about tightness of twintip straps and avoiding having one foot in and getting your knee wrenched.

Without being too overprotective of your knees to the point you get so defensive you risk greater injury, what are some of the top suggestions to avoid hurting your knees? I'd like to hear how some of you injured your knee if you don't mind, thanks.

pauldavey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pembrey
Favorite Beaches: Pembrey
Style: Poor
Gear: Cabrinha kites
Shine, RRD boards
Nobile skim

Postby pauldavey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:02 pm

The risk with knee ligament injuries comes from one foot coming out of a strap. The board then creates a long lever attached to the still attached leg. This means any small force applied to the board is hugely increased at the leg due to the length of the lever. The same applies to skis and why ACL and MCL injuries are so common in skiing.
Your options are:
Strapless - whilst you may fall off more you won't have the same rotational force risk because you won't be attached to the board in the same way (even with a leash).
Boots - less likely that one foot will come out.
Straps - Same risk as before

Braces can be of help but if you have a crash like you did i don't think they would be of any help.
Standard riding shouldn't be a problem. Big wipeouts are where the risk is.
All the best

pauldavey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pembrey
Favorite Beaches: Pembrey
Style: Poor
Gear: Cabrinha kites
Shine, RRD boards
Nobile skim

Postby pauldavey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:02 pm

The risk with knee ligament injuries comes from one foot coming out of a strap. The board then creates a long lever attached to the still attached leg. This means any small force applied to the board is hugely increased at the leg due to the length of the lever. The same applies to skis and why ACL and MCL injuries are so common in skiing.
Your options are:
Strapless - whilst you may fall off more you won't have the same rotational force risk because you won't be attached to the board in the same way (even with a leash).
Boots - less likely that one foot will come out.
Straps - Same risk as before

Braces can be of help but if you have a crash like you did i don't think they would be of any help.
Standard riding shouldn't be a problem. Big wipeouts are where the risk is.
All the best

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:29 pm

land badly and boots will rip you off at the knees as well.
imagine landing hot and digging the nose of the board. board stops, body knees continue to rotate.

Knee will be the first thing to go.
didn't happen here but you get the idea

Return to “Kitesurfing”