2016 Dakine C-1 Harness

Forum for kitesurfers
Newbee187
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2016 Dakine C-1 Harness

Postby Newbee187 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Wondering if anyone has tried the new 2016 Dakine C-1 harness, with or without the maniac spreader bar? I was interested in the Ride Engine harness but a few friends have bought it and we're not happy with it.

evila
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Park 12
Naish Motion Board 138
North Transformer Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2016 Dakine C-1 Harness

Postby evila » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:25 pm

I bought a Dakone C1 a couple of weeks ago and so far had 4 sessions with it.

My initial impression is that it's different to most other harnesses I've risen before. I've had a Mystic Majestic, North Airstyler, Ion Apex, but none are like this one.

My initial impressions are:

- this thing is stiff, but the memory foam inside makes it a bit mor confortable.
- doesn't ride up. All other harnesses I've used ride up, specially when jumping. To my surprise this one didn't. Not even a bit.
- spreader bar moves. I have the standard bar (not maniac) but the bar still rocks up and down, following the angle of the kite a little bit. Prevent the bar from digging into your stomach, although the rest of the harness still digs sometimes.
- lower profile. The harness is shorter top to bottom. Didn't seem to make any difference in feel to me.

Overall I'm quite happy with the harness, just hope it stays like this as it wears.

peppers
Rare Poster
Style: wave
Gear: whatever

Postby peppers » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 pm

I have used Dakine C1 harness for about 5 sessions. Been using Dakine Renegade and Pyro harnesses for years + Mystic 2Face and ION Vector for a short time. Overall, I am happy with Dakine quality so far. I have a weird back and I am picky, so only few harnesses do for me and I have tried many.
First impression was like - this thing rides up a lot. Then I realized I have to really strap it. My Renegade was always a bit loose as it was shifting from side to side when riding toeside or riding waves. So it was also riding up when I lost my board in waves and had to bodydrag. Other than that, Dakine Renegade was the perfect harness for me.
I am getting used to C1 and I like it. After tightening the straps, it does not ride up. Maniac spreader bar moves smoothly from side to side and gives enought travel for toe side riding.
C1 gives me really good back support, while not beeing too big (as Pyro), does not ride up (like Renegade, when things go wrong) and Maniac spreader bar allowes long travel for wave riding.
Made a desition to go with C1 instead of Ride Engine, based on the previous positive impressions and just wanted to give Dakine credit for keeping up with the evolution of harnesses.
I am not sponsored, nor working for a kite shop. Pay my hard earned £$€ for all my gear.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 am

Used my new C1 Harness for the first time yesterday. The fit feels as it did in the shop all the way through the session. It didn't feel like it was riding up although it must have moved a bit as it shifted my impact vest up about an inch.

Maniac spreader bar feels really natural (except toeside where I was left wondering how I lived without it). Strapless only session so I didn't try any jumps so can't comment on that. We tend to swap kites a fair bit so its nice to still be able to swap in the water without having to land and launch kites each time (as would happen with a slider rope).

I went for the C1 over the Ride more because it felt more comfortable in the shop.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Has dakine fixed the hook yet? Or do they still break all the time?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:23 am

The harness is too new to say.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 am

the last Dakine spreader bar I had bought had an extra cross brace welded at it's base.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:31 pm

I've only ridden Dakine Renegades since I started kiting. 8 years now, 3 harnesses, not too bad a track record.

In any case, I have straps starting to wear on the one I got 2 years ago, and the top buckle came loose from the sewing so I think it's time to upgrade.

Really interested in the C-1, and now that I surf about 75% of the time, I'm definitely interested in the Maniac spreader bar. Any other thoughts on this harness?

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine

Postby Yodarocket31 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Newbee187 wrote:I was interested in the Ride Engine harness but a few friends have bought it and we're not happy with it.
What did your friends not like about the Ride Engine harness? Are you/they certain that they were sold the correct size?

Kemperman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 78
Style: Big air, freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebel, North Orbit

Postby Kemperman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:54 pm

I have one and i'm happy with it.
- The pressure is more distributed across you back.
- The harness is quite small. This gives me more movement freedom.
- Because it's a hardschell i guess pressure districbution doesn't really change like other harnesses.
- It doesn't ride up as much as my old ion apex.

Return to “Kitesurfing”