Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Woo vs Xensr

Forum for kitesurfers
apos0
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Woo vs Xensr

Postby apos0 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Woo has been around for a while and I noticed that Xensr started shipping their units.
Anyone tried both?
Apart from Xensr having a GPS what are their differences, positives and negatives?
Thanks

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: WOO vs XENSR

Postby randycasburn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:59 pm

apos0 wrote:Woo has been around for a while and I noticed that Xensr started shipping their units.
Anyone tried both?
Apart from Xensr having a GPS what are their differences, positives and negatives?
Thanks
Predicting this to be a long term debate, with lots of side-by-side comparisons done by proponents of both devices. The result being the believers believing and thinkers unsure and doubting. :roll:

Regardless of what anyone says, really, know one knows for sure. :-?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:37 pm

i have both, unfortunately when i went to test it i didnt like how it secured in the mount........it could easily be unlocked without pushing the tab....so i had to make my own leash first. Testing it at home it measures jump height the same as woo........but when the gps is active can give you your track avg and max speed and location of jumps and data, and distance travelled not distance of a jump.

My initial gut instinct is woo for kiting....easy to operate....nice social in app. Xensr is for all the rest...........shares through facebook.

ultimately i will stay with woo......just very user friendly no hassle.

the woo you just turn on and go.....xensr you have to wait for gps lock

the xenser on off button is a lot harder to push and engage.......then when downloading to computer you have to pick from files......like on a computer.

The xensr app i havent been able to get on to as there was/is some sort of bug.

if you are jumping a lot and your track is in and out from the beach it will be difficult to separate all the circles listing your jumps as you cant zoom in enough........its google earth.

the xensr is also larger.......its hard to beat the woo nugget for that.....granted the xensr has gps......but for kiting if your into that most already have a watch.

will see once i actually use how i feel about it........but right now the woo is a more polished and user friendly device to me, exclusively for kiting.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: Woo vs Xensr

Postby droffats » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:35 am

Any chance the Xensr app bug is fixed?

Thanks,
Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:23 am

fogmeister wrote:i have both, unfortunately when i went to test it i didnt like how it secured in the mount........it could easily be unlocked without pushing the tab....so i had to make my own leash first. Testing it at home it measures jump height the same as woo........but when the gps is active can give you your track avg and max speed and location of jumps and data, and distance travelled not distance of a jump.

My initial gut instinct is woo for kiting....easy to operate....nice social in app. Xensr is for all the rest...........shares through facebook.

ultimately i will stay with woo......just very user friendly no hassle.

the woo you just turn on and go.....xensr you have to wait for gps lock

the xenser on off button is a lot harder to push and engage.......then when downloading to computer you have to pick from files......like on a computer.

The xensr app i havent been able to get on to as there was/is some sort of bug.

if you are jumping a lot and your track is in and out from the beach it will be difficult to separate all the circles listing your jumps as you cant zoom in enough........its google earth.

the xensr is also larger.......its hard to beat the woo nugget for that.....granted the xensr has gps......but for kiting if your into that most already have a watch.

will see once i actually use how i feel about it........but right now the woo is a more polished and user friendly device to me, exclusively for kiting.
Great review. :D

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Postby Rando1994 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:51 pm

I just got my new Xensr Air. Have had my woo for about a month. Looking forward to the side by side comparo...

The Woo is plug and play. Could not be easier. Very solid, very simple.

The Xensr comes with a few more, ah, issues. I have not ridden with it yet, however, I do have some issues I've noted thus far:

The LED's are going to be impossible to see blinking in full sun. You'll have to shade the unit to see if it is even on, on stand by, satellite locked and on stand by, or locked and recording.

The "on" button is very stiff. Holding it indoors in full lighting and I still have difficulty making it go through it's different modes. At one point I could not shut the thing off. You're supposed to hold the button pressed for 5 seconds to shut it off. It's more like 10 seconds. A full 10.

The mount is slick. Perhaps too slick. It's 1/4 twist with what should be a detent, but there really isn't. I will be rigging something to keep it from rotating out of the mount. Rubber band or something.

The included instructions are woefully inadequate. There are statements referring you to their website for support pages that simply do not exist.

Tech support, however, is responsive and answered my questions within a few hours. That was helpful.

I am concerned my first few rides are going to not be Xensr'ed due to difficulties with the on/off/satellite lock/recording interface.

I am also curious how it will all integrate with the Google earth overlay as there seems to be nothing on the Xensr website that explains exactly how to do that. They discuss how to capture and download your sesh file and the advice stops there.

So we will see.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Xensr and Woo compare with jump measurement. And I am looking forward to seeing my ride track overlaid on a google earth image of my local launch site. Just hoping that it turns out to be as simple as Jesse Richman made it look in his Xensr promotion video.

Will keep you all updated...

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:27 pm

I hope I don't have to always ride in a south west direction to connect with satellite... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shifty33
Rare Poster

Postby Shifty33 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Great reviews of the Xensr.. :lol:

App and device that doesn't really work, satellites that wont connect, a mount that wont hold, instructions that dont exist, and product that doesn't ship for over year+...

Oh yeah and we are just talking kiting, what about mounting to guns, playing football, knee rehab, surfing, MTB, skiing, snowboarding and all the other sports that it just clearly doesn't do.

It doesnt even taste like an Oreo

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:09 pm

.....the part i liked was where in the instructions it says to orient the mount in the opposite direction of travel (the is an arrow on the mount, so point that opposite direction of travel), that makes you wonder when your kiting and you start going the other way what would happen........obviously nothing........just a weird instruction, but why?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:17 am

tried it today.....tried 4 times to get into proper mode at beach...no luck, when i was done it was not recording.....then went into error mode and couldnt shut it off, had to put it in charger to free it up. Will try again tmr and will activate the recording through blue tooth on phone before i go down to beach. And you do have to shield the unit even in overcast to see the lights.

Return to “Kitesurfing”