Random
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USA in July

Postby Random » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:59 pm

Planning a trip to the USA in July - where would be a good place to spend 2-3 weeks somewhere kitesurfing? Looking to rent an apartment near the beach, and travelling with the missus and a toddler so ideally child friendly as well.

blazeheli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui/ Cocoa Beach Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airush

Re: USA in July

Postby blazeheli » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:47 am

Pretty hard to beat Hood River Oregon in July.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:20 am

Hatteras Island, NC.

EricSanders
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136

Postby EricSanders » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:23 am

Hard to beat Outer Banks, North Carolina. Ocean on one side and flat water bay on the other.

Random
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Random » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. Anywhere else to consider?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 pm

Maui - it's not the wave season, but tends to blow 25+ every day. Beautiful place, too.
San Francisco bay area - unique, usually windy, but cold water, not the idyllic beach scene, instead you get mountains nearby and cultural stuff. Not to everyone's taste though.
Hatteras or Maui probably best for strong wind with beachy feel and warm water, Gorge for strong wind and lots of intense sailors in a smaller space (a + or - depending on your taste, and light wetsuit may or may not be required).

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:31 am

I can't speak for Maui, but Outer Banks, NC and Hood River Gorge are both great places with great kiting. They are, however, very different, and how you want to spend non-kiting time should probably should dictate where you go.

Aside from great kiting:
Outer Banks has beautiful beaches... And not much else. It is basically a long sand dune in the middle of the ocean. There isn't a whole lot of vegetation and very little elevation change. The beach is spectacular, but if you leave the beach, there isn't really anything to do. I'm not trying to sell it short- I go there a couple times each year and I love the area.

Hood river doesn't really have any beaches, as it is a river. It is surrounded by mountains and offers some of the best hiking I've seen anywhere- huge water falls, old-growth trees, the works.

If you want to hang out on a beach all day, Outer Banks for sure.

If you are very into hiking or mountain biking, Hood River for sure.

Outer Banks is rare in that you can choose between waist-deep, butter-flat water, or waves. Get bored of one and you can walk over the hill to the other. That could be a deciding factor, especially for a beginner who would want shallow water.

If it were me, I'd probably do Hood River. I love the outer banks, but I think I'd get bored there in two weeks (I go two or three times each year, for about four days each). But that really come down to me preferring mountains to beaches for my non-kiting time.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:05 pm

Random wrote:Thanks for the replies folks. Anywhere else to consider?
Long Island, New York has pretty nice beaches. July is not the windiest month, but based on 2015 stats, you can expect 10-15 kts at least 3 days a week, especially in the beginning of the month..

rretzlaff
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Caution

Postby rretzlaff » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:16 pm

The Gorge and/or the Oregon Coast. There are many beautiful coastal towns to visit and its nice and windy most afternoons in July. The further south generally, the more wind you will find. Popular places such as Newport, Lincoln City, Manzanita. These are still relatively low use areas where you will find 5-10 kiters on the average day and on a windy day where the wind has shut down in the gorge as many as 40 will be in the water. Water temperature requires a 4/3 suit minimum.

The coast is a 3+ hour drive from Hood River depending on where your headed.

Santa Cruz is also another good spot with great diversity of activities for all.

happy travels

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Pretty hard to go wrong with Hatteras, especially with a family. You can rent a house (from two bedrooms to 12) on the beach or a short walk to the beach. Water will be super warm in July. As others have said, kite the sound or kite the ocean, all you have to do is cross the street. Its a watersport community, some surfing, SUP, fishing of all kinds, just a great way to relax. Kite all day, crank up the grill, cook your favourite meal enjoy your favourite beverages. Rinse, repeat. Its kid friendly, lots of room on the beach, not crowded. Not sure you will find a better place. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. Just make sure you do your homework on the drive down if you fly into ORF (if driving down on a Saturday, leave Norfolk around 6AM). If you do go, stay in Avon, Buxton, Frisco or Hatteras. Beaches are better in Frisco and Hatteras (especially for kids) and the grocery shopping etc is better than it is further further north in Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo.

Return to “Kitesurfing”