Ozone Enduro Review?

Forum for kitesurfers
skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Ozone Enduro Review?

Postby skullcandy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:38 pm

With the Enduros hitting kiters in the next couple weeks - looking for some honest and independent feedback. No doubt this looks like as great all rounder... Specifically looking for any feedback on differences from 2015 model year Catalyst - mainly upwind and boost/hang improvements.

hayes
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15m
Flexifoil Hadlow ID's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Enduro Review?

Postby hayes » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Couple of the U.K. guys have had them for a few sessions, so far they seem to love it

http://blog.islandboardshop.co.uk/2015/ ... 1-preview/

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:21 pm

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm

sounds interesting,
between the C4 and the Catalyst
how about a kite from Ozone between the Reo and the Edge?
not a detuned C4 but a re-tuned x-over,
slack/drift an depowered turning like the Reo, upwind and hang time like the Edge...

Yes, I know it probably can not be done but I can ask, right?

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skullcandy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:24 pm

I ordered a 10m Enduro today... I've spent a lot of time on the 12m & 9m 2015 Cat (and 7m but not as many sessions). 12m more of a free ride cruiser than a performance x over. Which is why Im selling it and replaced it with a 13 Edge. The 9m (and the 7), however, is way more fun and more indicative of a Surf - FreeStyle - Freeride cross over. I got a 10m Enduro as I wanted a bit more grunt and power and good gap from 13 Edge. In my experience with the Cats - the 10-9-8 size ranges typically behave similar. When you jump to 12+ is when you notice a significant change. The key here is: Did I waste my money if the Enduro isn't really THAT much better than my 9 Cat. Hence I would like to see some details from anyone who rode last years Cats extensively and has tried the 10/9/8 Enduro to get some honest comparisons. Of course Ozone will tell you its "more refined" and "Better intermediate / advanced set up".

For x over, Its impossible to expect the attributes of the Edge for upwind efficiency and grunt and thus boost height but as much as I would like, I cant justify having 2 x 10m kites. My decision factor was mostly based on one key element: I like to kite loop and ya cant really kite loop an Edge..... Im not that ballsy but Im sure others are.

If we don't hear from anyone on the 10/9/8 2015 Cat to same sized Enduro comparison and/or Edge to Enduro comparison then I'll report back with a complete detailed review in a couple months. I mean that's the key here for guys who currently ride Cats (esp the 2015) and/Edges.

The Aussie thread is a bit more useful... The UK thread has me skeptical - "Our Highest Recorded Woo Results yet!" and hes about 10 feet high in the pictures unless that record jump wasn't caught on camera that day?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:25 am

knotwindy wrote: slack/drift an depowered turning like the Reo, upwind and hang time like the Edge...

Yes, I know it probably can not be done but I can ask, right?
It's already been done. It's called a Naish Pivot.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:37 pm

skullcandy wrote:The UK thread has me skeptical - "Our Highest Recorded Woo Results yet!" and hes about 10 feet high in the pictures unless that record jump wasn't caught on camera that day?
Normally I am a skeptic, like you :)

I was out the day at the spot they have the pictures of the Zepyr and I am not affiliated with the guys. I can say they were getting some heeeuge jumps.
The wind was not the best either. Very gusty up & down frontal shyte we get in the UK :(

But, they were doing very well, they had the 12 & 9m Enduro out. The Ozone Zephyr as well.

I was on my 9m Wave and was basically blown off the water, to be honest I got fed-up with the wind being so on off gusty. I should've been on my 7m

But the 9m Enduro looked very comfortable in those conditions, with a lighter\shorter person than my fat ass.
Sure, he is a better rider than me, but he was getting some big air. They all were.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skullcandy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Anyone ride the Enduro yet / enough to provide some details? I get my 10m in 3 weeks.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:26 am

I've looked at one but not flown one.... im interested in the 8m size. My old 2012 cat is getting on now. .... I'll get another winter out of it though. So just in time for looking for deals on 2016 enduro's before the 2017 comes out.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 pm

got a chance to play around on a 9M Enduro but only for a short time. Main surprise was how much changing the front bridle attachments changed the kite feel. On the wave setting it was closer to the Reo than I expected and on the freestyle setting it loops very differently than the wave setting, more pull especially in the lower part of the loop but still comes around fast and sure. has a bit more of a delay in the turn in the freestyle setting but quick once it gets moving. Did not unhook as my shoulders will no longer like me if I do that any longer but hooked jumping was pretty fun, good lift and decent float. It is not an Edge for float but no surprise there. Over all a very quick fun kite with lots of options for changing the feel and speed that actually seem to change it and great wind range. liked it a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”