Kite Beach, South-Africa
Vääna- Jõesuu, Estonia
Style: Freestyle and big air
Gear: Eleveight RS 8m2, 9m2, 12m2 2020
Eleveight Commander 137cm 2021
Has thanked: 0

Which kite has the best bag?

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:00 pm

What kites bag you like the best/think is the most well built and functional? I would bet my dollar on the new airush union bag!

faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kite has the best bag?

Postby faklord » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Epic :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

bobbi o
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bobbi o » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 pm

RRD one is useful:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 pm

bobbi o wrote:RRD one is useful:

All very nice.....but where do you keep your kite in the meantime? :rollgrin:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:38 am

LOL good one, but seriously a "who makes the best" question again is only going to end with a zillion of different answers as usual.

Better question would be "what ?" makes a good kite bag or even "who ?" makes the worst kite bag :rollgrin:

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:33 am

bobbi o wrote:RRD one is useful:
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/equi ... -kite-bag/

I immediately spot a problem with the zipper and fine grain sand.... No wonder they demo it on grass.. :naughty:

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:30 am

Ah bags! Rant and Envy!

I can tell you that the Naish bag sucks. It's a slightly glorified top loading duffle sack. They may only have a couple of bag sizes for the entire kite range, so you might get lucky if you get a small kite large bag sizing combo (9m is easier than 11m). Often it's a shoving match between kite, bag, and worn out rider. One benefit is that i've learned to fold my kite tighter (schools don't really teach that skill much). The bar cinches are fine, and the pump cinch/neoprene base stretchy are adequate.

I can say that I do like the 2012 Airush bags for fitting a kite. There is enough room, and the opening is boxy and easy to fit whatever kite. Their bar compartment is functional, but the pump holder is a bizarre design. The soft top pocket is decent. I haven't tried the new (2015?) bag, which looks like a duffle bag with shoulder straps in the wrong place.

Can anyone comment on the 2014 Best bag? That has just about all of the features I would want. Too bad they don't sell it without the kite...

Adding to OP question, what is your dream bag?
I do know some who like the minimalism of a duffle sack, or ikea bag.

Ideal for me is big boxy opening with 2 zippper options (either direction or both, and obviously more than enough room to pack the kite). A small dry pocket (phone/keys/glasses etc). An extra expandable pocket (options are good), flexible cinch straps for a bar and also for a pump. Comfortable shoulder straps. Bungie web strap on the outside (easy to stuff a shirt, towel, or water bottle etc). And extra loop/chinches options for some flexibility (eg strapping a board to the back).

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:59 am

I have personal experience with Cabrinha 2012, Best 2013/2014, Airush 2014, Flysurfer 2015, LiquidForce 201x, Ocean Rodeo 201x, Slingshot 2013/15/16 bags. They all have issues with one thing or another.

Things I dont like: SMALL metal zippers. Shoulder straps that attract sand because of the soft material cushioning. Cheap buckles. Cheap bag material. Lack of pump straps. Lack of bar straps. Lack of board straps. Hard to reach pockets when full. Lack of bag expansion option.

I would say the one random Liquid Force bag I have has most of the options I do. like. Straps for board/pump/bar on the OUTSIDE. Easy to reach pocket. No zippers for kite partition. Material feels fairly thick. Has an expansion option.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 am

RRD bags have always been great and open up very eaisly. The worst by miles has to be Naish.... tricky to get a 9m or 7m back in the bag in 25mph+ on the beach

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:32 am

Naish AR3 circa 1990 - thin, flimsy. But turned into the ultimate 1980's disco party accessory -
A bumbag (see below for the uninitiated).

Return to “Kitesurfing”