Forum for kitesurfers
Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Which strapless board to get ?

Postby Alysum » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 am

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked many times already...I'm an intermediate kiter, started with TTs but for the the past 2 months I've been hooked to strapless on a 20 year old battered surfboard and love strapless riding :thumb:

So I'm looking to purchase my first kitesurf specific directional board.

The trouble is there's an overwhelming choice of directionals, even more than TTs... I know it's always best to demo and see what I like, which I will try once I have a shortlist.

I'm 82Kgs and like to ride in flat water/chop/small swell with a view to progressing to wave kiting in the next year. No jumping or tricks at this stage, I've never been a surfer and still need to completely nail the transitions on a directional & be totally confident before progressing to small/medium waves. I have 9, 11, 13 & 18m kites.

The Shinnster looks like a fun board and I was wondering whether that would be a good board before getting a proper wave surfboard in the future ? Another thing is that the Shinnster at 160cm is relatively smaller than a SB which is better for travelling and tougher than a SB (planning on a world trip next year). It's not just a light wind specific board is it ?

Firewire Vader/Vanguards seem to be popular boards as well, I have no idea what size I'm looking at though.

Any tips appreciated ! Cheers.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Which strapless board to get ?

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:36 am

I'm also not a surfer but the shinnster is a very easy board to ride. Nice and stable. Only took me 3 attempts before I got my first gybe (it didn't look pretty but it was dry).

I picked mine up second hand and have since seen a few coming on the second hand market suggesting that you might progress beyond it. Its not a light wind specific board - 9m is my favourite kite on this board. For me price was a big factor as it was cheap enough to buy as an extra toy. Works nicely at my local beaches where the water is shallow at low tide as it uses rail more than fins to get an edge.

I also liked the look of the spleene zone. Similar construction. Might be worth looking into?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:56 am

If you already love riding your strapless surfboard I wouldn't bother with the Shinnster but a lot will depend if you want to ride waves or just cruise around doing tricks etc.

If you want waves then go with a board with a surfboard rail rather than twin tip like the Shinnster, of course you can use the Shinn but it does not ride/carve like a surfboard. I find it great in light winds during the summer but tbh I'd still rather use a "surfboard" something like a shorter fish with a bit more width.
This then has much more use.

I have heard that putting larger fins on the Shinn will help with wave riding but it's still a very different board to the feel of a surfboard.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm

get yourself a last seasons ( or maybe 2014) Airush Cypher in something like 6'0, I have the same weight, and have the Cypher in 5'8 but have a couple of years experience in SB use.

The bigger cyphers, are great in lightwind, strapped or strapless, whatever your choise is.
Due to the wider tail and the nice volume it is easy to learn the jibes, they are great lightwind boards.
I have 80/82 kg, and use my cypher for lightwind, but I also have used the board with a 5m kite in 30/35 knots..so it is not only lightwind.
The bigger you take the board the more lightwind and easier in use it will be.
just to give you an idea
With my weigt I have a 13m for lightwind, and 9/7/5m to cover the other windranges.
You can reckon to use a SB with kites 2 sizes smaller than whith your TT.
HOpe this helps a bit
cheers
dude :cool2:

Geroland
Rare Poster
Gear: Variation of brands
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geroland » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Lot of guys at my local ride Firewire Vaders.
The whole beach is gravitating this way. I'm 85 kg and tried a 5'1 Vader. (defiantly my next purchase.)
Board is super stable. Glides up wind and is responsive.
Thank you Marty for the Demo totally changed my vision.
Gero.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:29 pm

SLINGSHOT angry swallow!!! 2015s still on sale. The board is fantastic. We have sold a ton of them...I ride one and so do my friends. I have my WOO on the back of the tail and hit 19.8ft yesterday on a strapless air! Its my go to over a Core Ripper, Best Shifty Pro, Cabrinha Secrete Weapon....I use it in all conditions. My only beef is the stock fins kinda stink so I would upgrade depending on your weight and riding style preference.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I have the BRM Paipo (shinnster) and it is an awesome all round board in surf and flat water conditions. You will need larger fins if you are planning to do big turns on a wave. But it is a great travelling board and is pretty hard to damage.

I have twin tips, surfboards, skimboards and if I could only have one board there would be a coin toss between the North Nugget and the BRM Paipo.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:48 am

I have a Shinnster, Slingshot SP and a Secret Weapon. If I had to have only one it would be the Shinnster. It's laid back, fun and easy. It can't hold the rail when you are carving waves as well as the Secret Weapon but not having to worry about damage is so nice. I also have a Shinn Launch Pad on it.

The only reason I got a Secret Weapon after riding my Shinnster as my main SB for a year was strapless airs. The Shinnster doesn't stick to your feet that well. Aside from that it's the perfect one board quiver.

Another thing I love about the Shinnster is that I can ride it right up on sand bars without having to worry about my fins. It's just such a friendly board to ride.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:07 am

Alysum wrote:I'm 82Kgs and like to ride in flat water/chop/small swell with a view to progressing to wave kiting in the next year. No jumping or tricks at this stage, I've never been a surfer and still need to completely nail the transitions on a directional & be totally confident before progressing to small/medium waves.

The Shinnster looks like a fun board and I was wondering whether that would be a good board before getting a proper wave surfboard in the future ?

Another thing is that the Shinnster at 160cm is relatively smaller than a SB which is better for travelling and tougher than a SB (planning on a world trip next year). It's not just a light wind specific board is it ?

Firewire Vader/Vanguards seem to be popular boards as well, I have no idea what size I'm looking at though.

Any tips appreciated ! Cheers.
Based on your statements above, I'd personally avoid the Shinnster (for now). The Shinnster is more of a "quiver" board imo.

I'd recommend something more like the Axis NewWave or Litewave DV8. Their unique design (recessed deck) makes them super stable. The boards also have the ability to flex which makes them much smoother in choppy conditions. The "pizza crust" type rails are much easier to grab/hold vs. traditional and skim-type boards and puts more volume under the rail when carving.
The boards are awesome in head-high and smaller waves (overhead+ is not advisable). They both have TT-like construction/durability which is great for traveling piece of mind without much of an added weight penalty. The 5'4 would be the best travel size, but the Axis 5'8 or LW 5'7 are wider and more stable.
For light wind conditions I've found both brands perform well.

For the ideal Firewire boards for you...
Vanguard 5'2
Vader 5'1
Go ONE size bigger for more stability or specifically light wind applications.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:20 am

I second the Airush Cypher. Three years ago I learned to ride strapless on a (2013) 5'6 Airush Cypher - I weigh 158 lbs / 71 kg

I can get going @ 13 knots / 12 meter right all the way up to 35 plus on my 6 m. I tried lots different of boards and three seasons later, the Cypher is still my "go to" board from flat to waves and everything in between.

I rode my buddy's North Nugget recently. That's a nice board to learn on, very easy / forgiving - wider boards always help. With a big enough kite you'll get going in next to nothing. It can get big in high winds (just ride it a little slower) and is stiffer in the turns than something like the Cypher, but the Nugget is another excellent choice.

I hear great things about the Slingshot Celeritas as well.

Whatever you buy, just make sure you don't buy something undersized. "Bigger" is easier to progress on and will give you more range, at least in early stages.
Attachments
DSC01449.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”