Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

strapless freestyle kite

Postby halloi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:02 pm

hello everyone! :bye:

I have been researching like mad these past couple of months in pursuit of finding the perfect kite for strapless freestyle riding and have somewhat narrowed it down to a few kites, now I need the opinion and experience of you strapless freestyle riders out there, so help me out!
It seems that the pros are riding Bandit, Dice and Religion but what about the everyday joes that are trying progress and take it to the next level?

heres the list:

2016 F-One Bandit
2016 Liquid Force Envy
2016 Blade Trigger
201X RRD Religion MKV
2016 North Dice
2016 Best Roca

what I want from the new kite: Great Depower, Medium Bar Pressure, Good Lift for Tricks, quick turning speed, and maybe as a cherry on top somewhat Drift capable

Conditions: 15 to 25 miles, Gusty, Choppy

Board: either the F-One Mitu Pro 5'8" or Slingshot Celeritas 5'8" or Naish Custom LE 5'7"

Current Setup: 13,5m Kahoona, ZAP 54" Skimboard :baby:

lets hear your thoughts guys! :thumb:
Last edited by halloi on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: strapless freestyle kite

Postby TommyDuotone » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Maybe add the Naish Pivot and the Core kites to your list. Everyone seems to love these for a crossover kite. :D

halloi
Medium Poster

Postby halloi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:27 pm

lol I was hoping to narrow it down further and not add to the list :rollgrin:
as far as naish I have to be honest even if it sounds stupid - I find the design... well, lets just say it... anyways, its not for me...
the core seems to have too much going on with the bridles. again, my personal opinion.

I appreciate your input though!

spoetnik
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, Ter Heijde
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby spoetnik » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Sorry for adding more doubt to your list. But why the Envy, and not the Liquid Force WoW?

halloi
Medium Poster

Postby halloi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:27 pm

lol you guys just keep adding more :rollgrin:
from the reviews that ive read and watched the WOW seems to be a more dedicated wave kite and not so much freestyle.

real wow review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUvAdBeZ-Lc

appreciate your input! lets hear some more guys!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:28 pm

i ride a torch, and you can direct unstrapped landings with the angle of the kite - take off super fast - iain aldridge style - which i like speeeeeeed, but i do notice that keahi and airton use every bit of their depower on high depower kites coming in to land so they go down faster without the board falling off their feet - they often have their arms fully stretched out - not something u can do with a torch so easily so i struggle with things like strapless non grab front rolls

just ride whatever kite airton rides...! he the guru

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:31 pm

I have flown most of these kites and owned personally the first two. The Bandit will Hindenburg on you a lot if you try strapless airs. The Envy will also.

You should really change your selections to surf specific kites. Look at the Ozone Reo or Core Section.

halloi
Medium Poster

Postby halloi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:14 pm

@longwhitecloud

So according to you priority should be great and fast depower, now from what Ive seen Airton seems to ride Dice is that correct? but the Dice is not known for exceptional depower so Im confused.

out of the kites that Ive listed which one would you say suits freestyle strapless the best?

@IanNJ

Surf specific kites are great for wave riding but I have zero waves at my location which is why im looking for kites for freestyle strapless air maneuvers. Ive heard the hindenburg thing before about the bandit and the envy, theyre for sure the power whores in my selection but is that not something the rider can somewhat control?

appreciate your input guys!

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:44 am

I'm gonna send you a PM. There is a lot to think about... But basically he issue as I see it is kite position. The kite will sit in a different position when doing strapless maneuvers vs. wake or boosting.

With wake style your kite is always powered at 45degrees give or take. As you pop the kite pulls you. With big air, you send the kite and as you come down you redirect it.

With strapless stuff in flat water the kite will be at 12 and not redirected till your about on the water. If you plop in the water the lines get heavy slack while the kite is at 12...of the kite does not have good drift then it will come down leading edge first.

Soooo. Why does mitu crush it? Because he usually is riding 10m or smaller kites in strong wknd where this is less of an issue. And he's super good... Bigger kites 10+ in lighter winds will do this more.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:42 am

I ride a quiver of Triggers and I like them for pretty much everything. I'm progressing at strapless freestyle but I'm not great at it yet.

You can check out this video of Sivan Oz killing it and he's riding a Trigger not a Skinny Boy (Blade's wave kite):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFtgcNGTJ8

Return to “Kitesurfing”