Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Megalooping an Evo

Postby Kitemanmuc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:32 am

Anyone have any advice on Megalooping the North Evo?
I just got a quiver as I love big air freestyle kiting, but also love Megaloops. Im a little hesitant to pull the trigger. I dont want to die. Anyone have experience or any tips?

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Megalooping an Evo

Postby lindseym » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:10 am

What year Evos and what size ? I too am an Evo rider and will be venturing into megaLooping one day. Overall I think its a great looping kite but just as important as the kite type is your plan in staying safe. This differs for all but my rules will be as follows:
- No kite over a 9

- Study all the vids and tutorials relentlessly (Dimitri and Jeff Howard from Kiteboarding.com have great vids but there are others out there) /
see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKXf0SWneg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRipKsd_Bo

- Don't go huge....just build up to it with big looping to get a feel for the kite. Do this for a long time.

- Once you're ready to throw the mega loop do it in 28 to 30 kts. By this point, you should be so acclimated to looping the kite that you will have a reasonable amount of confidence, but of course fear will always be a little present. You have to commit. This is not an option. Make sure you protect yourself accordingly with a helmet and impact and DO NOT practice it in shallow water. That'll put you in the hospital for sure.

Just remember, with every trick there is a tick to admission regardless of the kite that you use and what you do to stay safe. I personally have stayed away from megalooping because i tend to crash alot when learning new tricks but am starting to get more comfortable in the air. Even still, you have to exercise intuition and be intelligence about what you do. Hope this helps.
Last edited by lindseym on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemanmuc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:19 pm

lindseym wrote:What year Evos and what size ? I too am an Evo rider and will be venturing into megaLooping one day. Overall I think its a great looping kite but just as important as the kite type is your plan in staying safe. This differs for all but my rules will be as follows:
- No kite over a 9

- Study all the vids and tutorials relentlessly (Dimitri and Jeff Howard from Kiteboarding.com have great vids but there are others out there) /
see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKXf0SWneg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRipKsd_Bo

- Don't go huge....just build up to it with big looping to get a feel for the kite. Do this for a long time.

- Once you're ready to throw the mega loop do it in 28 to 30 kts. By this point, you should be so acclimated to looping the kite that you will have a reasonable amount of confidence, but of course fear will always be a little present. You have to commit. This is not an option. Make sure you protect yourself accordingly with a helmet and impact and DO NOT practice it in shallow water. That'll put you in the hospital for sure.

Just remember, with every trick there is a tick to admission regardless of the kite that you use and what you do to stay safe. I personally have stayed away from megalooping because i tend to crash alot when learning new tricks but am starting to get more comfortable in the air. Even still, you have to exercise intuition and be intelligent about what you do. Hope this helps.

Im on a 2016 8m Evo. I just want to know if the kite will climb fast enough to catch me.
You think the Evo will work just fine. Im getting mixed reviews.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Its a great question and since I'm not megalooping yet I can only assume that it would be enough...perhaps not. I would be surprised if not though. From my experience with the kite it ascends pretty rapid.

drealves
Rare Poster
Local Beach: - Barra da Tijuca
- Arubinha
- Praia do Foguete
- Monte Alto
Favorite Beaches: Barra da Tijuca
Taiba e Paracuru
Icaraí de Amontada
Prea/Jericoacoara
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: North Evo - 8m & 11m 2015
Slingshot RPM 8m 2012
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby drealves » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 pm

tom herbert was using a EVO at last years king of the Air, so the kite can handle megaloops.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemanmuc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:14 pm

lindseym wrote:Its a great question and since I'm not megalooping yet I can only assume that it would be enough...perhaps not. I would be surprised if not though. From my experience with the kite it ascends pretty rapid.
I appreciate it!

Thank you.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:36 am

Tom herbert doesnt megaloop

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:34 am

Dude - you obviously dont have the skill level yet...

Watch all the videos, then harden up and fish pole it, make sure you know how to jump vertical properly first.

Any 8m will go horizontal if tuned properly..

Wear an impact vest and helmet, itll save you blowing out an ear drum or broken ribs if you chicken out..

Have fun :)

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:Dude - you obviously dont have the skill level yet...

Watch all the videos, then harden up and fish pole it, make sure you know how to jump vertical properly first.

Any 8m will go horizontal if tuned properly..

Wear an impact vest and helmet, itll save you blowing out an ear drum or broken ribs if you chicken out..

Have fun :)
LOL....dude, we all start somewhere. Only started kiting 9 months ago cut me some slack here. (Pun intented)

JeremieT
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JeremieT » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:01 am

Can' t go wrong Loop or Megalooping an Evo kite (Talking of the 2015 and 2016 models as I haven' t tried the previous ones yet).

The kite has a great constant pull and direct steering it also climbs very fast after the loop.
9m and below sizes are perfect for this.

My personal assessment on the 2016 North Kiteboaridng Gear gear including a short part on the EVO available to read here: http://www.kitesurfgrenadines.com/the-b ... ing-brand/

Have fun and keep it safe

Jeremie

Return to “Kitesurfing”