Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite won't lift to zenith (Flysurfer Warrior)

Forum for kitesurfers
makecoldplayhistory
Rare Poster
Style: Not particularly good!
Gear: Flysurfer Warrior 14m & 16.6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite won't lift to zenith (Flysurfer Warrior)

Postby makecoldplayhistory » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:02 am

First, I'd say I'm an experienced amateur. Lots of sailing in my life and messing around with kites. Experience doesn't mean I'm good, but I'm not bad either.

I bought a couple of big kites at a bargain price with the idea of slowly getting into kite surfing. A Flysurfer Warrior 14m and a Flysurfer 16.5m.

I've tried the Warrior twice. Once, got dragged on my arse as it wouldn't climb to the zenith and hovered in the power zone. I guess about 10-12 knots of wind.

The second time was 5-ish knots, maybe less. The kite inflated but just wouldn't lift. That was both at the edge of the window of the wind and directly down wind.

So, my two questions;

1) what can the reasons be for a kite not climbing to the zenith? Are there a multitude of reasons or simple trouble shooting to go through first?

2) what's the minimum wind required to get the kite flying. Not flying with enough power to even water drag, but just to get it in the air. I've a lesson booked in a couple of weeks, but it would be good to at least practice having a kite attached to the harness, controlling the depower and basically get a little idea before turning up for the lesson.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Re: Kite won't lift to zenith (Flysurfer Warrior)

Postby flyingcamel » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:43 am

sounds like your front lines are stretched or your not letting out the bar and keeping it pulled in causing it to back stall. i would lengthen the back lines (the lines on the ends of the bar) or stretch them. your kite should be able to fly to zenith over 5kts. other than that there could be issues with your bridal.
check in this order. first try letting the bar out when launching, if your already doing that then change the line length, after that its prob bridals which youll have to measure individually and contact flysurfer or find on the net a line plan with measurements and trim/replace whats necessary.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 am

Wow, this are some historical kites you have here.
Check for warriors manual online, if you havent got one. There's a lot of usefull tips inside. Also check line lengths, specially those which run through pullies. This is the area, where all FS kites have to be trimmerd from time to time. Also check any latest Flysurfer manual under section Mixer test, to pick the logic of this trimming. I'm not familiar with your model though to help more.
Somewhere from 8- 10 knots should be ideal for you to trimm and test, until you feel it flies comfortable.
It helps to have a helper to align two lines, while you pull on them and check like if they are the same length (left to right (flying, steering, mixer)) or if all the knots on the mixer align where they should. A lit easier and more precise.

I hope you are not having lessons with your kite, but would incourage you to take them with you and ask the instructor if he is willing to check it for you while you are riding his, if he can help out.

RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu

Postby RedStar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:33 am

Old (budget) kites are not good if you are not willing to spend time on them. Tuning & repair is often needed. Also you need to know a fair bit about how kites are build and how they fly.

If above person is not U just get newer gear.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:45 pm

If you want to learn to kitesurf, get an inflatable kite. Ram airs like the Flysurfer you mentioned are inferior and dangerous for learning on. Apart from bridle stretching (which seems to be your problem), there are MANY other problems. Let me know if you'd like all the reasons.

:pump:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:52 pm

makecoldplayhistory wrote:First, I'd say I'm an experienced amateur. Lots of sailing in my life and messing around with kites. Experience doesn't mean I'm good, but I'm not bad either.

I bought a couple of big kites at a bargain price with the idea of slowly getting into kite surfing. A Flysurfer Warrior 14m and a Flysurfer 16.5m.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
1) Did you get these kites off E-bay or a craigslist equivalent ; or did an experienced kiter
sell them to you ?

2) Did you just randomly purchase your kites ; or did you do some research first ?

Your kites are known as ram-air's ; and you will get a better response on how they
work , if you post over in the Foil-Kite forum :

viewforum.php?f=197

And that Pump me up dude ; he ain't allowed to post over there , (he's gonna shit on your Thread).

Bille

sleepymexi
Medium Poster

Postby sleepymexi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Pump me up wrote:If you want to learn to kitesurf, get an inflatable kite. Ram airs like the Flysurfer you mentioned are inferior and dangerous for learning on. Apart from bridle stretching (which seems to be your problem), there are MANY other problems. Let me know if you'd like all the reasons.

:pump:

I would like to see all the reasons...

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Take a few lessons! The end result will be better and cheaper.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:09 pm

I'll offer you $150 for the pair.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:44 pm

the warrior is pretty old. it was last made prior to the first psycho.
flysurfer tried to make it user friendly with their first try at "pressureless depower" before they began using what they called the WAC depower. neither was very good

It was really a just 2-line kite with brakes attached separately.
I believe A,B, & C rows were all connected to a single riser terminating with a pulley on either side of the kite.(left and right)
a long loop connected those two pulleys to a single pulley at your chicken loop.
the brakes (D) were tied into the loop which allowed you to apply brakes and alter AOA very slightly.
no real depower if I remember

it's been awhile since if seen one but it was just as confusing then as the description above.
it looks like flysurfer has deleted the lineplan from their support section, but i'm sure I can find a copy if you are interested.

if intact it will fly ok, but any time repairing the bridle would be better spent converting to a proper mixer like the one used with flysurfer speeds, or an after-market UDS... IMO.

it will take time, but little money . definitely suited for folks that like tinkering with lost causes.
...I've done a few
and jakemoore knows better than me.

is the big kite a mast-air or another warrior?
if all white I believe that's the mast-air. older than the warrior but coveted for its all-out grunt in light air.

if interested, the kids at foilzone.com have a better support group (if they still exist)

regards,
bill
Last edited by zfennell on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”