nescio
Rare Poster
Gear: F-one Bandit, Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Let's talk risk (KOTA)

Postby nescio » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:44 pm

First. The point has been made numerous times that no one is given a higher score for wearing boots and that the risk component is in relation to the trick and not the gear. If you do not understand this and cannot separate the discussion of boots vs straps from risk in association to scoring, you may never understand
really? seems up for discussion and actually, IF you agree with scoring on risk, and wearing boots in some tricks means more risk, then you SHOULD give more points for that.. (for that trick)

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 am

I would like to See an inverted unhooked megaloop with a double board pass while shaving. Seems to be the next natural step. Also the razor increases the risk you know

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 am

While I enjoy watching those insane jumps, I believe the guys are ruining their body thoroughly. Not just in the contest, but you have to train that stuff over and over again in big conditions, and the traumas sum up. Interested to see when the first replacement knees + ankles (do we have such already? dunno) are due. Reminds me of NFL, where they bang their heads against a wall for a moment of glory and a golden ring.

So. Good show, insane skill, I like to watch the circus games. If it were my kid, I'd cut the lines :D

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:40 am

Westozzy wrote:Why is it all we see in the Kota is the very simple tweaked out board off. just not worth the points or not worth the risk...or both?
Taking the board off in over 30 knots is actually quite difficult and risky because the board just wants to blow away when its not attached to your feet. The board is very unstable in those high gusty winds and requires a lot of strength in the hand/wrist which is why the riders keep the the board offs relatively simple. Under 30 knots the board off is technically not that difficult which is when you can safely start flipping and spinning it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:45 am

Antonin Rangin did a triple spin boardoff.
That was the best boardoff I saw in KOTA CT so far.
I guess that helped to win over Kevin in round 1.

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:25 am

There is no question the risks these guys take are nothing to laugh about. From my personal experience, adding anything to a megaloop magnifies the risks immensely and to get the timing just right, combined with a low megaloop, takes crazy skills, a fantastic kicker wave and strong, consistent wind. I take my hat off to them and hope that Lewis and Lasse will be back riding soon.

For the ones who would like to learn a bit more on the dynamics of the crashes, I wrote a blog post with their videos and some examples, trying to explain how these crashes happen

http://www.alwayswindy.com/blog/what-ha ... -air-2016/

https://youtu.be/OfjidTOpO1s

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:39 am

Lanc wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Why is it all we see in the Kota is the very simple tweaked out board off. just not worth the points or not worth the risk...or both?
Taking the board off in over 30 knots is actually quite difficult and risky because the board just wants to blow away when its not attached to your feet. The board is very unstable in those high gusty winds and requires a lot of strength in the hand/wrist which is why the riders keep the the board offs relatively simple. Under 30 knots the board off is technically not that difficult which is when you can safely start flipping and spinning it.

Well yes I know that, boards off are my thing, I was trying to make a point. But it's no use convincing those who I feel don't do them to any great degree, they wouldn't have a clue as far as I can tell. Sure the easy tweaked board offs aren't a big issue, it's when y go beyond them that Yu start to find out (the hard way) that they to can be extremely risky and dangerous and technically difficult in those conditions. they also have to be rehearsed time and time again, on the water, on land and in your head. that's because the variations require such a different technique in body positioning, kite positioning and require a very good innate notion of where you are in space relative to the bloody water and the wind window. But heck people see others unhooking, passing the bar and scream how technically advanced it is.

Bullshit, it's an easy move. But once You layer on more, based on the basics and of course add the extreme height and power these guys are in, it is indeed highly technical and highly risky. But board offs are just the very same!

I ask the question again, why aren't these guys (except the ones in boots, which to me is not riskier...any Yu guys unhooked and looped...boots are far safer, give them to me anyday of the week... That's why they use them dopeys) throwing down advanced board offs...cause it fucking dangerous, almost irresponsible. Why...cause the technically difficulty leaves stuff all room for error. Take one discipline far enough and you will see what I say is true...that even includes extreme wave riding...whatever the style.

Again why not? Why not the advanced board offs..I know why cause I've dabbled my toe into the advanced level of this type of riding and quickly took my toe out...cause I got a job and kids to feed. This unhooked handle pass virtuoso...you've all been conned. It's hilarious.

Anyhow footage of that triple rotation board off Toby??? (which again by itself is a relatively simple move...but so is a basic handle pass ...add in height and power...wham).

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Look at Lewis. According to Toby it is the same thing that happens when the kite fly forwards while doing a board-off rotation

PLEASE! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

https://www.facebook.com/detlef.teichma ... 021543214/

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 pm

lewis..... who has now been in an induced coma for 3 days.

how can you ever say a board off is more risky.

pay some respect!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:07 pm

have you been doing that? ever had forward pull with a full powered kite? I even crash hard in 20 knots with a powered 18 if it moves fast forward (for sure not as Lewis here, but just to give you an idea).

Using a ten in these conditions you are powered to max, from that height with forward movement and you can't bail out....looks EXACTLY like on Lewis crash.

Go and try yourself...then tell me if you can...

If so easy, why are the guys doing basic boardoffs without rotation???? They want to win, right?
I wouldn't do those in these conditions...should tell you something that even I don't do it...

Westozzy: triple SPIN boaroff, means, he didn't rotate, he spins the board three times.

Return to “Kitesurfing”