2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Epic, Crazy Fly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Screamer 5g 10m LTD VS 9m - seeking input

Postby coolhari2000 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Yet another screamer comparison question. Yes i browsed through the past comparison posts :)

Situation: I am 135lbs rider, a decent inter-idiot rider, my main kite for the past 6 years has been a 9m (9m switchblade since 2012 - which has a huge wind range) I demoed the 7m & 9m screamers & was in love. It took a day to get used to riding the screamer.

yesterday, I received the 10m LTD for my birthday (yup, my big brother loves me a lot).

Here's my dilemma.

To keep the 10m LTD or to play it safe & exchange it for a 9m ?

I am afraid of being too overpowered all the time. I am also afraid of missing out on a beautiful thing. (yup, screamers do bring out the fear) :jump:
I don't want to miss out on the most powerful screamer & i don't want to be constantly overpowered & end up hating the screamer.

Please share any thoughts you might have

Best,
Hari
Last edited by coolhari2000 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Screamer 5g 10m LTD VS 9m - seeking input

Postby kjorn » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:35 pm

coolhari2000 wrote:screamer i
Keep it!

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CJ Brown
Favorite Beaches: Hawaii
Style: regular
Gear: 2014 - 7m Switchblade
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade

Postby coolhari2000 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:43 pm

kjorn wrote:
coolhari2000 wrote:screamer i
Keep it!
You mean keep the 10 ltd
- any specific reason(s) please ?

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Hey Hari,

I absolutely believe that the 10m LTD is the best version of the screamer line up. It has good range and handles the top end of its range quite well. Even at your weight, I believe that the 10m would be better than the 9. A buddy of mine is a bit heavier than you and is able to ride the kite the same time that I do when I am well powered up (I am 195lbs). I would take the time to demo the 9m vs your 10 to see what you think as you are the one that will have to ultimately have to be pleased with the decision.

James

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade

Postby coolhari2000 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:50 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Hari,

I absolutely believe that the 10m LTD is the best version of the screamer line up. It has good range and handles the top end of its range quite well. Even at your weight, I believe that the 10m would be better than the 9. A buddy of mine is a bit heavier than you and is able to ride the kite the same time that I do when I am well powered up (I am 195lbs). I would take the time to demo the 9m vs your 10 to see what you think as you are the one that will have to ultimately have to be pleased with the decision.

James
Hi James thanks man

Yes i demoed the 9m screamer - (not the 10ltd which my brother gifted me - new unopened )
It was an EPIC session for sure. Hence the fear

Is the 10ltd twitchy & in need of constant flying ? I do have decent kite control but not pro level.

TonyC
Rare Poster
Gear: Core GTS4 8,10,12
Naish Monarch 135,138
Stallion V2
Slingshot Hoverglide NF2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TonyC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:12 am

coolhari2000 wrote:
soul19 wrote:Hey Hari,

James
Hi James thanks man

Yes i demoed the 9m screamer - (not the 10ltd which my brother gifted me - new unopened )
It was an EPIC session for sure. Hence the fear

Is the 10ltd twitchy & in need of constant flying ? I do have decent kite control but not pro level.
Keep it! The 10ltd is the best tuned and most stable of the screamers. I wish the whole screamer line up were like the ltd. Not that there is anything wrong with the other screamers(they are excellent too) the ltd is just different in a very good way. It's designed to be a one kite quiver, it has huge range.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:36 am

hari

Will you be gettin fatter and whats your normal wind strength for your local ??

The 9 can be better if winds generally higher and for lower winds just put line extensions on which will let you go lower strength and it will still turn fast....

A happy trade off untill your skills or weight gets better...

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Hey there... trust me, no need for a 9 if you are attracted to the Screamer 10. I have a 7,9,Screamer 10, 11 and 13 in my quiver... and I ride the Screamer 10 90% of the time. Reason being is that it has a huge range. Probably larger than the chart on the site indicates. I'm 155 lbs and use the 10 from 25 kmh (fairly light wind) to 40 kmh. And I pretty much never touch the depower straps on it either, so I'm guessing you could bring it up to 50 kmh with the straps pulled, but it's certainly not advisable. What I love about the Screamer is that you can rig and ride, or really play with the kite to tap into the lift and power that it can deliver. My other kite sizes are Epic Renegades which pack a little more low end and feel a little different. The initial versions of the Screamer were not as forgiving as the later ones. Since the 3G release, the Screamer 10 was a really refined kite.

if you want to drop more money of kites, be my guest, but I'm absolutely certain that you'll love the Screamer 10. Go for it

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade

Postby coolhari2000 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you guys - Tonyc & Shave_the_Whales

Lol - Shave the whales - Nah man, I been around 135 for over a decade. I like it here - smaller sails, more horsepower on the same motorcycle racing class etc.
I just run away from fights - so that takes care of my only drawback

My usual place to kite - OBX, Tampa or the Keys. So i'd say decent wind. I have mostly managed with 9m SB about 80% of times, 7m SB & 12m SB for the remaining.

I did see that screamer offers a de-power tuning at the center lines (pig tail). Does it still maintain the flight characteristics ?

Tonyc - what you say eases my fears. Thank you sir

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade

Postby coolhari2000 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:35 pm

KiteCulture wrote:Hey there... trust me, no need for a 9 if you are attracted to the Screamer 10. I have a 7,9,Screamer 10, 11 and 13 in my quiver... and I ride the Screamer 10 90% of the time. Reason being is that it has a huge range. Probably larger than the chart on the site indicates. I'm 155 lbs and use the 10 from 25 kmh (fairly light wind) to 40 kmh. And I pretty much never touch the depower straps on it either, so I'm guessing you could bring it up to 50 kmh with the straps pulled, but it's certainly not advisable. What I love about the Screamer is that you can rig and ride, or really play with the kite to tap into the lift and power that it can deliver. My other kite sizes are Epic Renegades which pack a little more low end and feel a little different. The initial versions of the Screamer were not as forgiving as the later ones. Since the 3G release, the Screamer 10 was a really refined kite.

if you want to drop more money of kites, be my guest, but I'm absolutely certain that you'll love the Screamer 10. Go for it

KitCulture - Thank you man, This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. I am also glad to hear from a lighter rider about the 10 ltd being versatile.

ps. I like how you mention dropping more money on kites, while you have a secret stash of 6+ kites :P :P :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”