Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Right of way opposite tacks

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Right of way opposite tacks

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 am

Got a session in today :thumb: This was the first session I've had in enough traffic where I really needed to worry about going downwind or upwind of a jumper that crashed and navigating a kite in an opposite tack.

The only uncomfortable time was when I was on a port tack and was intersecting a starboard rider and trying to evaluate if I was well clear or needed to go a little downwind for safety. Most times I just went downwind and kept the kite low, but one time I thought I had plenty of clearance and turned out I had enough, but not enough for my satisfaction.

Since the starboard rider has right of way, when a port rider thinks they are fine and continues working upwind and the other rider yields are they pissed or just cool with it, b/c it was just one of those closer evaluations?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Right of way opposite tacks

Postby flipper231 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 am

It is always a good police to acknowledge that he let you hike upwind eithe by a thumb up or a Shaka. It means,'' hey I am not a reckless rider, no need to discuss it on the beach after, I know you are the one who let me out and I appreciate it''. In principle, if you don't have the room and it is too late to bear downwind, you have to turn around. The person whit the right of way should not Change where they point so no jump, no tricks, no going downwind....

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:28 pm

flipper231 wrote:The person whit the right of way should not Change where they point so no jump, no tricks, no going downwind....
Exactly! The rule came out of other sailing sports.
When you are in a position where you have the right of way you realise you are in fact restriced to do nothing else but keep upwind, while yo have much more freedom riding in oposite direction. The nicest way to give way is to jump, however do it with a distance.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:33 pm

mostly it is no big deal if it is a one time thing. We all make mistakes and space out or judge it badly or whatever once in a while. If it happens all day long with the same person, that is when it tends to get people upset.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:24 pm

If I'm not familiar & comfortable with a rider heading towards me, I assume that he/she doesn't know the right-of-way rules (many don't) or, possibly, knows them but is on a testosterone trip and isn't gonna' give an inch no matter what. Riding in traffic is like driving a car on a Caribbean island - you never know who's in the other vehicle.

Even if I have the right-of-way, I'll very often transition or otherwise change my direction away from an oncoming rider (before he/she gets close). There are lots of inexperienced & ignorant riders on the water, and I prefer to give them a lot of extra space (even when I have the right of way).

Many riders don't even understand that downwind rider keeps kite low, and upwind rider keeps kite high. And that's just logic! Better to have lots of margin for safety! ("Distance is your friend.") :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm

right of way comes out of other wind sports in kiteboarding you want to use your indicator to tell the other guy if you are going downwind or upwind. Keep your kite high if you want to go upwind, keep it low if you want to go downwind. You do this before you get close as an indicator, not just right at the time you pass. The port tack right of way only really matters on a racing course. If the other guy keeps his kite at 45 and doesn't indicate which way he wants to go, give right of way, he might not be paying attention. also beginners want a lot more space than more advanced riders. Advanced riders are fine if you have 1 or 2 inches between the riders, beginners want several meters. So sometimes a rider won't put his kite up or down because he sees there are several inches space, plenty! :-)

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm

FLandOBX wrote:If I'm not familiar & comfortable with a rider heading towards me, I assume that he/she doesn't know the right-of-way rules (many don't) or, possibly, knows them but is on a testosterone trip and isn't gonna' give an inch no matter what. Riding in traffic is like driving a car on a Caribbean island - you never know who's in the other vehicle.

Even if I have the right-of-way, I'll very often transition or otherwise change my direction away from an oncoming rider (before he/she gets close). There are lots of inexperienced & ignorant riders on the water, and I prefer to give them a lot of extra space (even when I have the right of way).

Many riders don't even understand that downwind rider keeps kite low, and upwind rider keeps kite high. And that's just logic! Better to have lots of margin for safety! ("Distance is your friend.") :thumb:

Goofy foot rider generally has right of way - Sometimes there are interesting moments when you have a couple riders on the same tack line in the same direction and one suddenly jibes causing a chain reaction. Experienced riders handle this fine - beginners tend to do more of the deer in headlights things. I usually just stay away from beginners but sometimes they are in the mix at more congested areas. Learning the downloop transition can go along way to not disrupt the circuit. I use it all the time. And when its crowded def use the jibe signal.

As always the same theme comes up - Distance is your friend!

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 pm

skullcandy wrote:you have a couple riders on the same tack line in the same direction and one suddenly jibes causing a chain reaction.
Yeah, it's crazy how some people don't even look when they change direction.
One small head turn would let everyone know your intentions and prevent cutting lines and other damage.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Get up wind and stay there, that's what I do .. kook free zone :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:01 pm

skullcandy wrote:
FLandOBX wrote:If I'm not familiar & comfortable with a rider heading towards me, I assume that he/she doesn't know the right-of-way rules (many don't) or, possibly, knows them but is on a testosterone trip and isn't gonna' give an inch no matter what. Riding in traffic is like driving a car on a Caribbean island - you never know who's in the other vehicle.

Goofy foot rider generally has right of way - Sometimes there are interesting moments when you have a couple riders on the same tack line in the same direction and one suddenly jibes causing a chain reaction. Experienced riders handle this fine - beginners tend to do more of the deer in headlights things. I usually just stay away from beginners but sometimes they are in the mix at more congested areas. Learning the downloop transition can go along way to not disrupt the circuit. I use it all the time. And when its crowded def use the jibe signal.

As always the same theme comes up - Distance is your friend!

+1, downloop and take some downwind "loss" to get clear if you're the head of the train. If you're in the caboose, keep your damned eyes open and be ready to flip around!

When around crowds I try to jump-jibe to toeside before I turn my kite so that it's unambiguous that I'm maneuvering.

Return to “Kitesurfing”