Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Right of way opposite tacks

Postby aztartarcontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:50 am

This is a great question by the OP. I would like to offer another perspective for everyone to consider the next time you are out and you technically have the right of way.

Scenario: You are heading upwind and you have another rider heading down wind. You technically have right of way but both of your headings are very close to each other. If I have right of way yet I am moving with an outgoing tide then I am going to automatically have less upwind edging capability than the upwind rider. He has the advantage of moving against an outgoing current which increases his edging capability.

Technically because I know I am at a wind disadvantage (because of the outgoing current) that if I try to maintain my upwind heading I am going to drift into his heading or come very close to his heading. Therefore I am going to force him off of his heading. When I realize I am at a disadvantage even though I technically have the right of way I will always give way to the upwind rider in this scenario. It's just a courtesy I do.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:49 pm

yes, there are always exceptions you can make. The key is to do what keeps everybody the safest first and then the most fun. Try to be nice to each other. If I have ROW and someone is having a great ride on a huge, clean swell I will certainly move out of his/her way so the can continue the fun as i would hope they would do for me. Even if they don't, I will still do it for others as it is just more fun for me to watch others having fun as well. Group buzz is always better. If you are not sure who has right of way in a situation and you are a decent kiter, give way and have fun somewhere else for the moment.
It is not really right of way, anyway. It is stand on vessel or give way vessel. It is supposed to keep people safer if they know what each other is going to do. But most people out there barely know what starboard is or any of the basic rules. So, if you do not know them, just give way and move on. There is plenty of water to play in and this is supposed to be fun.

the three most important rules are
look up
go fast
don't crash, LOL

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of placing the kite lower earlier on to signal you are going to work below them. Good way to let them know where you are headed. Also, I am probably going to try a downloop next time out if it isn't blowing hard. Thanks.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 am

skullcandy wrote: ... And when its crowded def use the jibe signal. ....
Just to be sure, because I am not sure there is an acknowledged "jibe signal":
pointer finger up to the air making an "helicopter" move, saying I'm going to turn around?

I've seen, and therefore used it, but I don't think it is taught to beginners... Is it?

windtzu
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windtzu » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:42 pm

edt wrote:right of way comes out of other wind sports in kiteboarding you want to use your indicator to tell the other guy if you are going downwind or upwind. Keep your kite high if you want to go upwind, keep it low if you want to go downwind. You do this before you get close as an indicator, not just right at the time you pass. The port tack right of way only really matters on a racing course. If the other guy keeps his kite at 45 and doesn't indicate which way he wants to go, give right of way, he might not be paying attention. also beginners want a lot more space than more advanced riders. Advanced riders are fine if you have 1 or 2 inches between the riders, beginners want several meters. So sometimes a rider won't put his kite up or down because he sees there are several inches space, plenty! :-)

"Port tack only matters on a racing course"

Since when are kiter's exempt? In every water activity I've been involved with, sailing, windsurfing, and now kiteboarding, the same maritime laws have always applied.

So there's no ambiguity those rules are in place for a reason - safety.

The kiteboarder on port tack gives way to the kiteboarder on starboard tack.

Situation: When you meet another Kiter head on, and you are both on opposite tacks, the port tack rider gives way to the Starboard tack rider.

Definitions: When you have your kite on the right hand side of the wind window, between 12 and 3oclock. you are riding on "Starboard tack" and have right of way. When you are riding with the kite between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. you are said to be on "Port Tack" you must give way.

How to give way: To give way to the Starboard tack rider, you should slow down or alter course (usually downwind keeping your kite low). The kiter of Starboard tack should maintain his direction and speed.

Of course this doesn't take the place of rule 1: Avoid collisions at all costs.

I don't usually push the starboard-port rule, usually because I want to avoid potential contact. I'll hold my tack until it becomes a game of chicken. It seems that most on the water don't understand the starboard rule. In sailing and windsurfing we always adhered to this rule, but with kiter's it's different for some reason.

Here's a link - Kiteboarding Right of Way Rules. It's posted by the Maui Kiteboarding Assoc. but the rules are all the same.

http://www.mauikiteboardingassociation. ... rules.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”