Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Anyone use waterskis?

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:27 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:It's a great idea, but think about how much surface area the skis will cover vs a twin tip board. You would really need to be lit to make it plane out. Think about how you would need to twist the upper half of your body so that you can control the kite, unless you do it with 1 arm. And when you transition and go the other way, you are going to have to ski backwards unless you get some kind of special harness. Lets face it man, being on a board outnumbers skis in so many ways, especially the style. If this sport required skis, I probably would have never got into it.
Dang Dude ; you really like to run your Mouth, on shit Ya don't know squat about , ( ski backwards) ! :lol:

Look at the foot-print my board is leaving in the water , (and i can NOT control foot angle, without ankles ); now
try and figure out how that would compare to a waterski, that is actually Longer ...

A Dynabar V-7 harness , might work good for this ?

Bille
Attachments
kiteboarder 1.jpg

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Bille wrote:
Didn't look good for him, at first ; then the guy Dialed-in to the point where
he looked to be having a BLAST , (he even stayed , kinda up-wind) !! :thumb:

Bille
Here's some vintage (1987) footage of Cory Roeseler & friends. Gotta' admire their vision......(not to mention those old control bars! :o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYwpPPHxaM

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Bille wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:It's a great idea, but think about how much surface area the skis will cover vs a twin tip board. You would really need to be lit to make it plane out. Think about how you would need to twist the upper half of your body so that you can control the kite, unless you do it with 1 arm. And when you transition and go the other way, you are going to have to ski backwards unless you get some kind of special harness. Lets face it man, being on a board outnumbers skis in so many ways, especially the style. If this sport required skis, I probably would have never got into it.
Dang Dude ; you really like to run your Mouth, on shit Ya don't know squat about , ( ski backwards) ! :lol:
That's right, when you downloop the kite and turn with your skis and ski the other way, (Ski backwards)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:45 pm

those videos are nuts thanks for sharing.

Onthewater860 please make videos when you break out the waterskiis, love watching how different it is from wakestyle boards or surfboards or even hydrofoils.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Pretty clear the guy is not a natural athlete. And probably hasn't done a lot of waterskiing. So if he can do what he did after getting used to it I'll bet some ultarthin's the guys around these parts could crank out a new groove. With the exception of Letsflyakite who would most likely end up with a waterski stuck up his exit canal. Or find a reason his instructor found it unsafe and thereby not worth their next lesson in safe canal research.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Could be that waterski's get pulled downwind because they are designed to be pulled behind a boat. A center of resistance more forward and flatter rocker may help. Wakeboards designed to pull behind a boat are also terrible for kiteboarding upwind.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:46 pm

With all due respect Jake, I don't think waterskis were designed for anything. Besides getting a hot bod above the surface of the water behind a big motor boat at Marvin Gardens in '46. Which led to other perversions like jumping off a big pile of floating slanted wood. I learned in '67 on Lake Havasu which inevitably progressed to the harder stuff like slalom. Oh shit.The End.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:46 pm

jakemoore wrote:Could be that waterski's get pulled downwind because they are designed to be pulled behind a boat. A center of resistance more forward and flatter rocker may help. Wakeboards designed to pull behind a boat are also terrible for kiteboarding upwind.
nah it's not just the rocker.

they did a ton of experimenting back between 1985 and around 2005. Go look at them old videos some of those boards they are riding are hilarious looking, huge bars, weird boards, it was a wild time.

We don't seem to experiment as much now a days which is why I'm excited that the original poster is gonna go out and water ski with a kite.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:55 pm

Just use a freakin TT!!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:05 am

I think it's hilarious that people want to reinvent the already evolved. I laugh my ass off right up to the point they succeed at improvement. Then I call it foiling and hop on the bandwagon!

Return to “Kitesurfing”