Forum for kitesurfers
teabaggin
Rare Poster
Gear: cardboard freeride , ocean rodeo mako , ozone edge , epic screamer
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Ozone edge V8 stitching on leading edge

Postby teabaggin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:16 am

I have had this kite for 7 months now and noticed this problem with the stitching on leading edge just outside of first struts away from centre on both sides of kite . It seems that this area is under a lot of pressure compared to the rest of the stitching along the LE . I am pumping kite up to recommended pressure on ozone pump. My last edge was 2010 and I noticed that the stitching along the LE was only 2mm apart compared to 6mm on this kite . I had no issues like this with 2010 kite. Has anyone else experienced this . Thanx for feedback
Attachments
CAM00266.jpg
CAM00265.jpg
CAM00264.jpg
CAM00263.jpg

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Ozone edge V8 stitching on leading edge

Postby Bille » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Stop using that kit , till it's fixed properly ; easier to fix it now, than after it explodes.
The first kite i grabbed was my 2010 13M Edge, and the stitching on it was measured at 3mm.
I'd send a copy of this to your dealer, country importer, and Ozone direct in France, but place
a metric ruler, next to the stitching on one of the shots.

Bille

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby boardjockey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:53 pm

The material Ozone uses for the struts and leading edge could use improvement. Blown Ozone struts are too common on Maui. That said, the Edge does fly awesome.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:43 am

Contact Ozone. They actually do read and reply to emails.

Inhuman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galvestone, TX

Postby Inhuman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:58 am

I had similar issue with Bandit 2015. If your leading edge is say 8inch in diameter and you pump it to 10psi, that will give you 40lb of tearing force per 1 inch of the seam. If the stitches are 6mm apart (4.2 stitches per inch), that is about 9.5lb per single stitch!
But not all leading edges are made the same, search for Switch leading edge seam video on youtube. Cabrinha and some others also reinforce it now with the second layer of dacron same like Switch shows in the video.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:51 pm

Wait until the stitching the other way starts eating through the canopy. I have the 2013's and protected them from this but one new v8 here about 3 months old is already needing repair.

Also keep an eye on your stitching in general it will also bust pretty easy. I've talked to Ozone 3 years ago..... always the same reply.

Ozone:
Our stitching is world class and our material is also the best! The problem is the user.

Don't get me wrong I love the kites buy their support is absolutely horrible and their product (I only can speak for the Edge) is very delicate it will not last like other kites in the same category (3 out of 4 kites I own are Ozone).

I take the 3year Ozone's in to be fixed monthly. I have to take my 15m edge in this week its blown another area of world class stitching. Every time I'm out I check almost all stitching. The last check I found two areas.

I live in Brazil and have quite bit bit of experience with kites. Ozone fly's great but don't expect it to last long.
T

Cees Kerkmeijer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Strand Horst, Netherlands
Mirns, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Plage du Veillon, France
Zandmotor, Kijkduin, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mainly North, just switched to Ozone

Postby Cees Kerkmeijer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Seven months ago I bought an 11 metre Ozone Edge V8, have used it about 10 sessions until recently.
After my latest session with the 11 metre I found quite a large lump on the leading edge, about 20 cm from the valve.
("Leading edge aneurysm") The leading edge stitching was still intact (as far as I could assess) on the outside.
I only use an Ozone pump with pressure gauge, also from Ozone. (Well at least it has their name on it)
So in my opinion I always pump up to a pressure which should be ok, have never crashed the kite, never self start on the beach and always pack the kite dry and as indicated in the manual.

Of course I brought the kite back to the dealer immediately and they sent it to a kite repair centre, it should be repaired next week.
Has anyone seen this before? Could it be a defect in material or workmanship? Any advice would be welcome.

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable

Postby mattenzuchtig » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Cees Kerkmeijer wrote:Seven months ago I bought an 11 metre Ozone Edge V8, have used it about 10 sessions until recently.
After my latest session with the 11 metre I found quite a large lump on the leading edge, about 20 cm from the valve.
("Leading edge aneurysm") The leading edge stitching was still intact (as far as I could assess) on the outside.
I only use an Ozone pump with pressure gauge, also from Ozone. (Well at least it has their name on it)
So in my opinion I always pump up to a pressure which should be ok, have never crashed the kite, never self start on the beach and always pack the kite dry and as indicated in the manual.

Of course I brought the kite back to the dealer immediately and they sent it to a kite repair centre, it should be repaired next week.
Has anyone seen this before? Could it be a defect in material or workmanship? Any advice would be welcome.
the warranty of Ozone sucks...it is always the dealer and importer who will have to take care of it....do not expect one positive gesture from ozone ....they sell at high prices and have their noses up in the air...even cocky but their warranty sucks...send an email to them and two possibilities...or you do not get an answer...or the answer is...their product is not faulty, it is you the customer, because they have an top notch quality controle in their OWN factory....well they should run a quality control on themselves as their aftersales sucks and they are so full of themselves, come on Ozone show some respect to your customers and come down to earth !!!

A friend of mine bought a brand new edge 15m...after the second time in use a LE bridle connection burst out of the LE...comment from OZONE not our fault, bad handling of the kite by the user...after 3months of fighting...the importer or dealer had the kite repaired for him...bur it did not make him happy, a brand new kite that was repaird, because OZONE refused to aknowledge!
Matti

kitcho207
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 94kg
Local Beach: Warilla, NSW
Style: Kite, SUP, Surf, Wing, Foil
Gear: Kites - 2021 11m Orbit, 2022 9m Orbit, 2019 6m LF WOW, 2019 12m LF Elite

Boards - Pelagic 7'5" Foil SUP, 135 Jamie, Carbon custom pocket foil

Foils - 980 Takuma Kajira, 1210 Takuma Kajira, 1900 Takuma LOL

Wings - 2020 4m Wing Ride, 2022 6m Duotone Unit

Postby kitcho207 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:18 am

I have witnessed some Ozone quality issues too and it has really put me off purchasing another Ozone kite. Their kites from a few years ago really went the distance. But these later models... no thanks
Plenty of great other brands out there.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 01, 2016 4:26 am

Local guy just blew out his 6 month old Zephyr on a light wind day. Looked like it hit the water at an angle just off straight down, the seam on the LE gave way then ripped right across the tube's panel :o

Had forgotten about it til now, must ask what's happening with it...

Return to “Kitesurfing”