Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Switchblade 2016 Versus Switch Nitro/Element

Forum for kitesurfers
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Cabrinha Switchblade 2016 Versus Switch Nitro/Element

Postby dylan* » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Gautiou wrote:Hi, i'm hesitating between the Switchkite Nitro and the Cab Switchblade or FX for big air boosting with hangtime. I would like to learn to ride unhooked and doing kiteloop.

Thanks for your answers.
I've owned switchblades and currently ride the nitro 4. the most recent switchblade ive flown was 2014 so they might have changed a little since then

- nitro has MUCH better handling with no pulleys on the bridle. way more responsive
- nitro is faster through the air and has much better upwind
- nitro has better top end because it flies more forward in the window. one of those kites with endless top end, you could probably fly a 10m in a hurricane and boost to outer space
- pretty much the same bottom end, switchblade has more grunt and nitro needs to be moved a little more
- switchblade relaunches a little easier
- similar boosting/hangtime
- switchblade more stable, easier to fly since it sits farther back in the window. especially noticeable in light wind
- both are pretty heavy kites
- nitro much better for unhooked and kiteloops since it's an open-c shape. FX is probably the best of the 3 for kiteloops since it's more c-shaped. switchblade pulls like a freight train unhooked when youre in the air

i definitely recommend the nitro, it's a great kite. just don't buy the switch bar.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mkNY » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Has anyone flown 2016 North Evos and can compare to Nitro 5?

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:12 pm

at the moment the new Nitro V6 has been announced..and this way you can grab a Nitro V5 at pretty interesting prices at their outlet shop on their website...
cheers
dude

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 am

mkNY wrote:Has anyone flown 2016 North Evos and can compare to Nitro 5?

Yep. Most won't like to hear this, I'd get an evo anyday of the week over the nitro 5.

I know this is against the grain, but that's how I see it. Tried the nitro since version one, hoping they'd give me a more realstic priced alternative.

I'm yet to be convinced. Flies off the front lines, little connection between back and front lines through the canopy. Kite canopy has to do too much therefore, rocks back and forth on the throw to change angle of attack to spill air. Floppy jalopy. The C in it, makes it a reasonably technical kite, in that jumping etc, timing, consistency is hard to get. Nitro needs a lot of wind over its wing to come alive.

But to be honest they are very different kites, and probably shouldnt be compared. Better comparing the nitro with something like the rebel...nitro doesn't come close. It's not even in the same league. Wish it was.

Gautiou
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Cabrinha Skillit
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gautiou » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:21 pm

So i think the Nitro is the best choice for great windrange and boosting big air

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Teabageppo wrote:

Yep. Most won't like to hear this, I'd get an evo anyday of the week over the nitro 5.

I know this is against the grain, but that's how I see it. Tried the nitro since version one, hoping they'd give me a more realstic priced alternative.

I'm yet to be convinced. Flies off the front lines, little connection between back and front lines through the canopy. Kite canopy has to do too much therefore, rocks back and forth on the throw to change angle of attack to spill air. Floppy jalopy. The C in it, makes it a reasonably technical kite, in that jumping etc, timing, consistency is hard to get. Nitro needs a lot of wind over its wing to come alive.

But to be honest they are very different kites, and probably shouldnt be compared. Better comparing the nitro with something like the rebel...nitro doesn't come close. It's not even in the same league. Wish it was.
You sure the Nitro was set up correctly? One I flew had medium bp and no floppyness whatsoever.

Rebel flies a bit more comfortable, but imo the main reaon for that is the less direct steering. Hangtime's better too, jumps a bit easier, better relaunch, slightly better lowend.

On the other hand... Nitro drifts better, unhooks better, loops better, steers faster.

Range is comparable, so is upwind. Rebel tiny bit more stable but gives you that crappy 5th in return, which does make it relaunch easier. 2016 btw. Nitro is less fun in the lower range.

Build quality... well I think Norths are built decent enough, but very sloppy. I do like that they've changed the strut seams. Compare it with Ozones for example, very neatly built, but less durable. And no match for Core/Cab/OR/Airush if you ask me. Switches are built very decent, and neatly too for the most part. Tiny bit heavier though.

In the end, I guess it's like a sportscar vs GT. Can't fault either.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:58 pm

I tested the 10m nitro 5 in two sessions.

Build quality - top notch

Upwind - excellent - better than switchblade
High end and depower- better than switchblade
Jumping hangtime - same as switchblade
Pop - I think switchblade has better pop , I.e I can load it better but could've been technique
Turning speed - similar
Smoothness - switchblade wins - I ride in gusty winds and switchblade does much better here.

At the end I bought the switchblades again. Mainly due to smoothness factor - the kite is so smooth in the gusts that you don't get jerked or get tired. I was also so used to them and while nitro was similar I didn't find it better so I went for what I know and am used to. If I didn't own the switchblade before it would be more of a toss up.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm

Some good reviews here. The only thing I would add about the Nitro G5 is the genius of the Spider Bridle. G5 feels like early active fifth line Ozones. When the gust hits there is no kick on the bar nor even extra pressure, all extra power turns into board speed. Nitro is an open C so you get airplane rudder steering from the wings which is needed for some serious kiteloops. It jumps from 12 which is also helpful for spin kiteloop combinations when you want to make sure you are positioned under the kite. Nitro in general is in the FX category so for riders getting into more advanced stuff. If you want a kite which gets up in a hurry you should look at Element instead but intermediates will have no problem.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:54 am

Faxie wrote:
Teabageppo wrote:

You sure the Nitro was set up correctly? One I flew had medium bp and no floppyness whatsoever.

Rebel flies a bit more comfortable, but imo the main reaon for that is the less direct steering. Hangtime's better too, jumps a bit easier, better relaunch, slightly better lowend.

On the other hand... Nitro drifts better, unhooks better, loops better, steers faster.

Range is comparable, so is upwind. Rebel tiny bit more stable but gives you that crappy 5th in return, which does make it relaunch easier. 2016 btw. Nitro is less fun in the lower range.

Build quality... well I think Norths are built decent enough, but very sloppy. I do like that they've changed the strut seams. Compare it with Ozones for example, very neatly built, but less durable. And no match for Core/Cab/OR/Airush if you ask me. Switches are built very decent, and neatly too for the most part. Tiny bit heavier though.

In the end, I guess it's like a sportscar vs GT. Can't fault either.

Yeh some balanced ideas there faxie must admit, some that I agree with.

Can't get more direct than no bridal my man, so I can't agree with that.

Also I don't think norths build is sloppy at all. Will admit the nitro build is very good as well but I wouldn't use that to distinguish them.

As I said rode all five nitro models, always interested seeing how they have evolved. they were setup just fine lol.

I'm not convinced after trying many models and brands that have a fixed bridal without a pulley work. I know this is against mainstream ideas, but my feeling is the there lacks connection between front and back lines. The kites canopy has to do to much with a fixed bridal and no pulley, so it feels to be like you are hanging off the front lines, like hanging of a carabiner when abseiling. I've ridden too many now to not notice or come to this conclusion. Hey some people like that feel, I don't. Nitro is no different.

Agree with Marlborough, the nitro is deceptively technical to fly.

Anyhow thread this was comparing to a cab switchblade so not sure why I've gone here anyway.... but for the best freeride experience, I wouldn't be choosing a nitro.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say a fixed bridle doesn't work. I went from riding fuels for a year into a nitro and the kite felt so similar. I have a mixed quiver of the nitro and some best TS and prefer the direct feel of the nitros for sure.

I'm looking at replacing my nitro for something that will work a little better for waveriding and I'm really trying to stick to something that doesn't have pulleys just because it feels so good in comparison, like the newer envy (which also feels great with no pulley).

Return to “Kitesurfing”