Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

QR problem: mini 5th-line hard to pull through tube

Forum for kitesurfers
timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

QR problem: mini 5th-line hard to pull through tube

Postby timothymcmackin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Hey all. I'm checking out my gear for the season, and I have a problem with my 2012 Cab 12m bar. The problem is with the red IDS safety line (I think it's what other brands call the mini-5th line), which runs from the safety releases, through a black tube, through the hole in the bar, and connects to the front lines. When I throw the safety, the IDS line pulls through the tube, tensioning both front lines while releasing both steering lines, flagging the kite.

The problem is that it takes a lot of force for me to pull the IDS line through the tube. I have to stand on the bar and pull hard to get the line through. So I worry that if I have to flag the kite, it won't depower and flag out smoothly.

The IDS line itself seems OK, with no obvious knots, frays, or anything that could catch inside the tube. I don't see any kinks or other problems with the tube. The tube has some curve to it, built up over all that time wrapped up (I'm thinking I should try to not bend the tube too much from now on), but I am holding it straight when I pull the line through, and of course when flying, the pull from the kite keeps it straight as an arrow. So it's difficult to get the line through even when the tube is straight.

Thus there must be something in the tube that's restricting the IDS line, because it's a steady, consistent tension when I pull the line through. I always rinse the bar out well in fresh water after a session, but maybe something got pulled in there and caught. Any ideas for how to get it working smoothly again? Maybe soaking it in fresh water to see if I can loosen whatever is restricting the line? I had hoped that after a few pulls in and out it would loosen anything that was caught in the tube, but I'm not seeing any improvement.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: QR problem: mini 5th-line hard to pull through tube

Postby edt » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Any reason you don't do a complete dissassembly? good chance there's a broken fiber in your red line. take it completely apart you can look at each component

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.

Postby timothymcmackin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:23 am

edt wrote:Any reason you don't do a complete dissassembly? good chance there's a broken fiber in your red line. take it completely apart you can look at each component
Good idea, but the splices at each end make it too thick to get it through the tube. It's a pretty tight fit because the tube has a small chamber for the IDS line and a larger chamber for the depower rope. On my 9m bar, the IDS line slides through easy as pie.

I've pulled enough of the IDS line through the tube in each direction that I can tell that there's no damage to the line, so that's not the problem. Wondering if I could borrow a power washer and pump water into the tube.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:49 am

I thought you could tear down that bar. I would just contact cabrinha (or your local shop) directly, see if there's some trick to taking it apart. good luck on the power washing thing.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Hook up a nice length of fishing line to the non-QR end of the line and pull the red line out the bottom of the PU (polyurethane) tube. The fishing line will allow you to pull back through the PU tube. There is a metal clip that is fastened to the bottom of the PU tube and, if damaged or pinched, it will restrict the tube and this will require replacement of the depower mainline assembly (KS4DEPMLE). If the IDS landing line is super frayed, or fat/flat, then you might replace that. You should be able to compare it to the line on control system used on the 9m. Your dealer should definitely be able to help you out.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster

Postby timothymcmackin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 am

Cab Driver wrote:Hook up a nice length of fishing line to the non-QR end of the line and pull the red line out the bottom of the PU (polyurethane) tube. The fishing line will allow you to pull back through the PU tube. There is a metal clip that is fastened to the bottom of the PU tube and, if damaged or pinched, it will restrict the tube and this will require replacement of the depower mainline assembly (KS4DEPMLE). If the IDS landing line is super frayed, or fat/flat, then you might replace that. You should be able to compare it to the line on control system used on the 9m. Your dealer should definitely be able to help you out.
Nope, still can't get the red line out -- the splices at each end make it too thick to get through. Didn't find any damage to the depower mainline assembly, but I can't see all of it. That might be a good solution -- replace that assembly and see if that fixes the problem.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster

Postby timothymcmackin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 pm

Here are some pictures of the IDS line and tube:

http://imgur.com/a/vL6JO

Return to “Kitesurfing”