Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LF Solo 6.5m any one using it?

Postby Onthewater860 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:48 pm

I can get this kite for a deal and am thinking of adding it to my quiver for a high wind days. Is any one using it? What are people's thought. I currently have a 9,12 SS rally's and 17 turbine.

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Re: LF Solo 6.5m any one using it?

Postby alsbirk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:17 am

I have been riding the solo 6.5 for almost 2 years now and it is my all time favorite kite in this size, the 6.5 is the most fun and well working of all the solos if you ask me :-) I love it for wave riding especially as it can drift like nothing else and turns on a dime, the power input feelin in the bar is very responsive. I also use it for wakestyle occasionally when there are no waves when it´s windy and I can still throw mobes etc with this thing. It boosts well but the single strut design has some limitation when you are loading up very heavily. And of course there is a bit of noise from the canopy when you sheet out during a turn etc, but this is a very minor thing. Overall an amazing little kite with a BIG wind area, it has super good low end but can also handle a lot of wind..

I highly recommend in particular the solo 6.5, such a fun kite with a great potential in all aspects of kiteboarding.

and oh yes it packs down to nothing when you want to travel and is also super light.

you can say I´m kind of biased towards LF but within the LF range I prefer the solo over any other kite (envy, wow, hifi) in this size also.

/Thomas

dzincha
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: RRD obsessions
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dzincha » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Saw one guy quite overpowered ~ 30-35 knots on 6.5m2 solo. I believe it has a lot of grunt in low end.
For me with 7m2 was nice session.
For high winds i would go with kite who has 5 struts or at least 3. And then wave/wake or freeride/race specific.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Onthewater860 wrote:I can get this kite for a deal and am thinking of adding it to my quiver for a high wind days. Is any one using it? What are people's thought. I currently have a 9,12 SS rally's and 17 turbine.
Super fun kite but it's not a "high" wind kite unless you are a big guy (200+ lbs) . Single strut kites like the Solo and North Mono generate great low end and have great de-power but top end is not their forte. 6.5 is more like an 8 in terms of power. Maybe get a 6 or 7 Rally.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon May 02, 2016 3:08 am

I disagree. That problem might exists for the Solo, but the North Mono is a fine tuned machine. I have a 12m Mono and I can use it starting in 9-10 knots at 85kg and I was out in 25knots the other day and it was rock solid. Best kite i have used in a long long time. It does everything well.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 am

Wunderlich85 wrote:I disagree. That problem might exists for the Solo, but the North Mono is a fine tuned machine. I have a 12m Mono and I can use it starting in 9-10 knots at 85kg and I was out in 25knots the other day and it was rock solid. Best kite i have used in a long long time. It does everything well.
Makes sense especially if you are using a twin tip (are you?). I like to ride underpowered on surfboards and Mono will load up quicker than a normal 3 strut, has a shorter de-power stroke but also maxes out sooner than a Neo (on a surfboard). That said the Mono is my favorite kite to date for surf and foil, where I live I don't have to ride anything bigger than a 9 meter.... I don't ride twin tips anymore otherwise I might have a 12 too. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”