Postby BraCuru » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:10 pm

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Cabrinha Apollo

Postby RickI » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:32 pm

I got to fly the 2017 14 m Apollo and 19 m Contra for a while on Saturday during a demo in Pompano Beach. I really like the smooth flight, power and ease of control of the Apollo. The Contra was a fine flyer as well, feeling like a lot smaller kite than 19 m, quick to turn and responsive. Here is a curious thing, the power out of the two kites was quite similar. They say the high aspect of the Apollo is more efficient than conventional shapes. This experience supports that conclusion.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:12 am

In this video with Dave, he said that the Contra size is relative to rider weight, so a 19m isnt going to give much benefit over a 15m for himself.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:53 am

I cannot believe the Contra is being given praise.

It's a horrible lightwind kite, really horrible.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Tone wrote:I cannot believe the Contra is being given praise.

I didn't like it either, 2016 15m. Was ok on the foil, wouldn't hold it's shape on the TT when loaded. Maybe it's better for little guys...

rddvet
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St Petersburg, FL
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha/Axis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rddvet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 pm

I have the opposite opinion on the contras. In our low wind area my 13 and 15 are my go to kites at 210lbs. Never had any kite losing shape or anything like that. They've got strong low end grunt. I wish they were faster, but hey it's a big kite what do you expect. My contra beats the other lw inflatables I've tried (for tt)

lollypop
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby lollypop » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:10 pm

rddvet wrote:I have the opposite opinion on the contras. In our low wind area my 13 and 15 are my go to kites at 210lbs. Never had any kite losing shape or anything like that. They've got strong low end grunt. I wish they were faster, but hey it's a big kite what do you expect. My contra beats the other lw inflatables I've tried (for tt)
:thumb:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:46 pm

I agree with the two previous posts. I think the Contra is a super light wind kite. I demo'd the 2017 Contra 13 a few weeks ago, and it's a great kite. Also spent a season riding the 2015 Contra 17 for go-to light wind kite. Depends on riding style, of course. Bar pressure and shape is not good for unhooked, but it's a truck for airstyle and aggressive hooked-in riding in lighter wind.

I also demo'd the Apollo 12. Again, for hooked-in riding, it's smooth and consistent. A lot of riders say it feels different from other LEIs, but it's easy and fun to ride. With a long skinny race-style shape, it's somewhat slow in turning, but it will pinwheel loop if you are aggressive with it, and it never loses shape or power. It's not a rip-you-off-the-water booster, but it's got good float, it's forgiving, and the power is very consistent and substantial (without the bar pressure of the Contra). All in all, a very nice kite, IMHO.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Tone wrote:I cannot believe the Contra is being given praise.

I didn't like it either, 2016 15m. Was ok on the foil, wouldn't hold it's shape on the TT when loaded. Maybe it's better for little guys...

It's a light wind kite. It's not meant to ridden "loaded". The idea is to have good performance, quick steering, light bar, easy relaunch, and ability to unhook in the lower end of the wind range. If you want to ride loaded, we have other kites that will work much better like FX, Apollo, and Switchblade.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Cab Driver wrote:It's a light wind kite. It's not meant to ridden "loaded". [...] and ability to unhook in the lower end of the wind range.
Gotta love when the cab clowns contradict themselves in the same breath.

Oh, contradict. I get it now. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”