Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 11m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Upgrading after 8 years

Postby Soccer Du25 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:05 pm

WestOzzy,

My bad, on a normal day that I can kite its usually from 2-6pm and right at 13-16 knots. I can usually kite three/six days I'm at myrtle. The mornings will get up to maybe 9-10 knots and stay there. On the days I can't get out it's usually below 10 knots all day. I can only remember a few times that a day has been up to 20+ knots but it has happened and by then the swells are too large and there's too much chop for me to not get my ass handed to me.

Soccer Du25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Litchfield
Favorite Beaches: Avon

Postby Soccer Du25 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:08 pm

I thought it was a bit odd on the renting, but when I first called kittyhawk they told me they won't even do demos period unless it's tuesday/thursday. However I called and talked to kailey yesterday and she told me that they will try to set up a quiver package for me and if the winds are good on sunday they will usually let me go out for a quick 20/30 minute session. That's what I want to hear!

She said right now that Cabrinha dominates the bar market and it's the best one to get, but for $480?? May try to snag last years models. As for kites, I will see about an 11/12 and a SB that may be able to get me up in those tighter days. If they can swing me a hell of a deal on a bar, harness, and two kites then we will see what I can do.

Also real said they have a complete SB package for $380, and then kittyhawk tells me they have a 'killer' deal on a ?wood? one for $580 complete...

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sat May 28, 2016 2:26 pm

What do you want to do with the kite? Just easy cruise around, big floaty jumps, freestyle tricks, unhooked, waves? And what is your riding level? What tricks have you learned in the past 8 years? What are you looking for in a kite? Ease of use? Jump and hangtime? Bar-pressure? Fast steering? etc.

These are questions you need to ask yourself and tell the people in the shop to get the right kind of kite to demo.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Sat May 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Soccer Du25 wrote:She said right now that Cabrinha dominates the bar market and it's the best one to get
Uh, no. Overcomplicated, heavy. North is widely accepted to have the best bar. Lots of guys run it even if they use different brand of kites. Still expensive as crap, but way better than Cab.

Soccer Du25
Rare Poster

Postby Soccer Du25 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Strekke wrote:What do you want to do with the kite? Just easy cruise around, big floaty jumps, freestyle tricks, unhooked, waves? And what is your riding level? What tricks have you learned in the past 8 years? What are you looking for in a kite? Ease of use? Jump and hangtime? Bar-pressure? Fast steering? etc.

These are questions you need to ask yourself and tell the people in the shop to get the right kind of kite to demo.
I'm looking for cruising around and floaty jumps. I won't be riding waves but I will be in some chop on sea-side.

I haven't been kiting for eight years. Only 4 years for three weeks out of the year.

I want some ease of use and jump/hangtime. The rest doesn't matter much.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun May 29, 2016 1:14 am

13-16 oh .... I forget how good the winds are here.

Well you need to build your quiver around a 12m with good low end. (I'm 75kg so I can at least offer an opinion close to your weight). A modern 12m at your weight can be taken comfortably to 18, and can be held well if it gusts to 20 ( well we can take them much higher but I'm trying to be safe here).

forget 10 knots unless you want to move into 17m leis or move into foils or foilboarding. Just not enough power in the wind.

Spend money on a good 12 then add a cheaper 9/10.

Get yourself a more light wind specific SB like a nugget. will increase range of both kites. unless you have rip snorting waves waves around... Even so you say you want to just cruise around and jump ... Need a decent wave kite to get the most out of a performance SB.

I'd say as someone has said a rebel, switchblade, boost, etc something with a good range... With some aspect but not over the top. Something that has a solid pull in the oceanic slop. A stable platform. I had a 2008 waroo... You won't know yourself on a modern kite lol.

Personally I reckon you only need one kite, your TT and an efficient SB board for your conditions at your weight. Too low, wind to high ... Borrow a kite or just sit it out.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun May 29, 2016 1:26 am

Ps it concerns me the comments made on cab bars dominating the market. The best out there? Beware of stupid comments like that from retailers with vested interests.

Just buy a kite man. How the hell will you know if you've demoed the right SB... ? Try and ask for a go on some generous locals. You might hate a fin driven board!

And may just want a bigger TT to increase your range. Or something like a shinnster...

Who knows. But get your main wing then suck and see. Don't waste money on a hunch.

I've had quivers and quivers or TTs and SBs across the entire spectrum over the years. Now I just bang around on one TT doing what I do lol.

Soccer Du25
Rare Poster

Postby Soccer Du25 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:50 am

Thanks Westozzy,

I really think that's a good way to go. I like the range of the LF solo 12m, 9-18 kts should be a good combo with a SB.

As for a SB how about this http://www.realwatersports.com/2015-liq ... -board-6-0

The storms will be rough tomorrow but I think that I should be able to get out in some 15mph winds.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun May 29, 2016 3:53 am

For the surfboard- I've never ridden it, but unless you plan on spending some time in real waves, might look at some shorter and wider. Real has a bunch of 2015 slingshot boards for about the same price that might be better suited for cruising around and light wind. I'd just ask at the shop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”