Gear: 2014 - 7m Switchblade
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Epic, Crazy Fly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Seat harness recommendation

Postby coolhari2000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:44 pm

knotwindy wrote:Have not ridden the Ion B2 but rode the DaKine shorts harness for a year or so and never had the wedgie problem with that one, so maybe try a shorts harness if you can. It was the best all around compromise I found until I got a custom Ride Engine setup. Fits and works way better for me, even with the boosting, no ride up or pit rash..
Hey Knotwindy, thanks - Yeah I am seriously thinking about the shorts or ride engine option. (not a fan of dakine shorts - I genuinely believe Ion has better quality). Just wanted to see if there was some comparison between these specific ones here on the forum.
sedluk wrote:I have been using the Mystic Comforter seat harness. Perfection while riding, a little cramped when getting started, bending over and putting the feet in the board.
Thanks Sedluk - I have a couple of mystics, love their quality- I don't think it fits my tiny body type well. (it's like the mcycle helmet scene ARAI/SHOE/NOLAN/SHARK - they're all equally great - Helmet to head shape fits entirely different)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Yea, I have also heard the B2 is more durable than the Nitros shorts. I was more commenting on the hook height and overall comfort level of short harnesses compared to seat or waist especially when boosting big. Good luck with trying different options and get back to what you end up with, it will definitely help others.

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CJ Brown
Favorite Beaches: Hawaii
Style: regular
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade

Postby coolhari2000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm

knotwindy wrote:Yea, I have also heard the B2 is more durable than the Nitros shorts. I was more commenting on the hook height and overall comfort level of short harnesses compared to seat or waist especially when boosting big. Good luck with trying different options and get back to what you end up with, it will definitely help others.
Thanks Knotwindy - I hear ya. Oh yeah - The hook height of shorts is GREAT :)

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:38 am

I love my Dakine Chameleon. Never feel the straps and it mostly stays where you want it. Great harness for sure.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:43 am

Usually it's getting dragged in the water that ruins the harness location or indies the wedgie. Some days, I just have to come into shire every hour or so and rest the harness.

coolhari2000
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CJ Brown
Favorite Beaches: Hawaii
Style: regular
2016- 10m Screamer LTD
2013 - 12m Switchblade

Postby coolhari2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Usually it's getting dragged in the water that ruins the harness location or indies the wedgie. Some days, I just have to come into shire every hour or so and rest the harness.
Lol - Yup. You definitely know the feeling.

I generally put the damn kite down and readjust (shove the harness down) in the water itself. Too lazy to land & take a break.

I was hoping to hear "Man the new Ion seat harness needs none of that"

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:21 pm

*Disclaimer I sell every harness discussed here.*

In addition to several other harnesses/brands/styles, I've owned the Dakine Fusion since it first came out in 2001. I ride them until I wear them slap out. I fit people in these all the time and can say with absolute confidence that if you're getting a wedgie with THIS harness, it is b/c either:

1) This is the wrong size for YOU (waist size will not necessarily be the only deciding factor here; individual body shape plays a role, too) OR

2) You have the leg straps adjusted incorrectly. They should be snug, not too tight or too loose. Either of those scenarios will cause discomfort. Too loose and the harness will ride up. Too tight and it will also feel uncomfortable (sing soprano, anyone ;) )

Seat harnesses are not for everyone, but they certainly have their advantages, as you've already discovered. If you'd said, "I don't have as much flexibility for boardoffs, getting the board on, etc...I'd agree that that is true. I take mine off to roll up my kite b/c it's not very comfortable to try and bend over much to do it. But, for overall comfort and keeping the harness down, it's a nice trade off. The Fusion is the Cadillac of the seat harnesses, IMHO. If I'm not riding one of my waist harnesses, the Fusion is what I take. Good luck and hope that helps!

SENDIT!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:04 am

coolhari2000 wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Usually it's getting dragged in the water that ruins the harness location or indies the wedgie. Some days, I just have to come into shire every hour or so and rest the harness.
Lol - Yup. You definitely know the feeling.

I generally put the damn kite down and readjust (shove the harness down) in the water itself. Too lazy to land & take a break.

I was hoping to hear "Man the new Ion seat harness needs none of that"
It's always on-shore here so I'm rarely far enough away to have enough time to do that before my boards get smashed into all the shit that floats up on the beach . . . and I'm lazy too, so I usually just ride with wedgies until I can taste the neoprene then call it a day and go excavating.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:27 am

Used to have a DaKine Fusion.Found it too thick, too padded, too cumbersome.
I tried a DaKine Vega: a very minimal design. Love it !

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:30 am

Clarencephil wrote:Used to have a DaKine Fusion.Found it too thick, too padded, too cumbersome.
I tried a DaKine Vega: a very minimal design. Love it !

Especially with a Dynabar (sliding hook)

Return to “Kitesurfing”