Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

North Quad bar

Postby dksurfer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:10 pm

Has anyone experience twisting of 2 front lines above the Y on the quadbar? This is after using the roto-head to ensure the safety line is not twisted. I am a bit concerned about the twisting of the lines above the Y, since I think It could prevent the flag line from feeding out properly. It doesn't seem to happen on every session. I am constantly using the roto-head to ensure the safety line is not twisted, but still the front lines above the Y seem to get twisted. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? This never happened on the 5 line Trust bar.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: North Quad bar

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:11 pm

dksurfer wrote:Has anyone experience twisting of 2 front lines above the Y on the quadbar?
Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?
The front lines will get twisted even when you use the "roto-head" to untwist the single flag-out line. What's happening is when you clip the leash onto the metal ring on the end of the flag-out line, it "locks" the line in place and prevents it from untwisting. After many, many loops, what starts to happen is the flag-out line twists up on itself (like winding up a spring). Once this twisting/winding has occurred, it transfers that twist to the front lines. You can fix it on the water by unclipping the leash and then untwisting the metal ring and thus the line, but it can take some time and it's kind of a bitch.
Having the metal ring set-up in suicide mode will also "lock" the line in place and cause the same problem. Here's the solution:
First is to undo the metal ring and then pull the flag-out line all the way out. Then start from the Y point end and work the line in between your fingers to untwist the line as you move towards the metal ring. You will see the line bind up as you do this, so it may require some "relief" twisting on the other end to unbind it.
I got really fed up with this untwisting task, so I just ordered a swiveled metal ring from Ozone. The swivel relieves the twisting problem so it doesn't transfer the twist to the flying lines:
http://www.ozonekites.net/proddetail.as ... ith_swivel
Last edited by Da Yoda on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:36 am

Thanks for the tip. I would have never imagine that could happen. I will try untwisting the flag out line as you suggest and will also look for the swivel. Has the twisting issue resolved after you started using the swivel?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:50 am

Dk best way is with two people. You work from the Y towards the bar, like explained above...someone else spins the metal ring. I do it now and then when I tune my bars (once a month). Just get my son (whose eight years old) to do the turning of the metal ring. Or take it off and work down it if ya got no-one. You should be tuning/inspecting your bar/lines regularly anyway, just part of the service.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:53 am

Westozzy, I will do that before my next session for sure. Thanks.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Always running my bar in suicide mode and never had the front lines twist :?:

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 pm

dksurfer wrote:Has the twisting issue resolved after you started using the swivel?
Yes. It still twists a bit, but it reduces the binding tension so it's not transferred to the front lines. My guess is Ozone saw this same problem and addressed it with the swivel.
Btw, I edited my original response to be a bit more clear.
Westozzy wrote:Dk best way is with two people. You work from the Y towards the bar, like explained above...someone else spins the metal ring.
This is what I'd meant by requiring some "relief" twisting from the other end as you untwist the line. Having a second person to assist with the relief twisting speeds up the process.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:26 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:Always running my bar in suicide mode and never had the front lines twist :?:
I always ride in Suicide mode and have found the twist is even more common than when in standard mode. Maybe you don't loop the kite a lot or do back/front rolls? Or you're just really good at equaling your loop directions so the line never twists.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom

Postby LiquidXtasy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm very dissapointed in the colors for the quad bar this year. Last year it was a nice lime green blue bar, now this year it's pink and purple. Come on north!

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:38 pm

I worked on my bar today and followed the suggestions I received here but made some small modifications. Since I did not have a helper, I untight the flag out line at the top where it meets the Y, and then walked from the bar towards the Y un-spinning he flagout line. I found that the flag-out line had a few twists in it for sure, which I think was the cause of my issue. I will post an update here after my next session and comment on how well this fixed worked to address the issue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”