Gear: Airush Wave
Brand Affiliation: Airush Kiteboarding
Progression Sports
Kiteworld Magazine
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Frustrations with Firewire's UK/ EU distributor

Postby SuperMorriso » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 am

I was hesitant about writing this as I don't like to pass on negativity, especially around smaller kite brands etc, but I could do with any help I can get regarding Firewire orders because at the moment they are having major issues...

To summarise:

-For months I was trying to get in contact with Firewire direct (email/Facebook etc) to no avail (no responses ever) as I wanted to source a demo board to try
-Eventually I found demos to try in Tarifa, Spain and the rumours are true as the boards are really awesome!
-I ordered my board 5 weeks ago via the Ozu shop in Tarifa (who have been fabulous by the way)
-Firewire assured the shop that I could have my board in a week which was the condition on me placing my order (as I had heard they could take a while and I needed it asap)
-Since then Firewire have repeatedly said the board is on it's way, will be shipped etc etc which have all been untrue
-We now learn there is a huge problem with the UK warehouse and mixed up orders, and although my board is sat there waiting, they've put a stop to sending anything out
- I also had questions about board bags (no response as always)

I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. Ozu shop are being so good and letting me borrow their demo board on an ad hoc daily basis (as I had to pass my old board to the new buyer already), but they are also in the dark about when mine will arrive. I NEED the board for a sponsored wave event in a couple of weeks and I am without anything to ride! I am panicking now and wonder if there is any advice out there?

I don't mind that a smaller kite company has issues with production, and I like to support these smaller brands too, but please just be upfront and get back to us with timely and honest replies. I am so frustrated and would love to speak to someone at the company direct if possible....

It was the Vanguard 5.0 due for shipping to Ozu, Tarifa if anyone in the warehouse there is listening and can pull strings for me! HELP!
Last edited by SuperMorriso on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Frustrations with Firewire

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:08 pm

The problem is not entirely with firewire..... You have set yourself up for the situation by making yourself dependent on delivery. Never ever ever sell your gear before you have the replacement in hand. In reality, these are luxury items and no company that scrapes out margins on that type of gear is always going to have stock where and when you want it. They get thousands of emails from guys wanting to demo their gear without spending a cent. They are spinning plates in multiple countries and I'm sure they would like to give you exact info, but it's likely a bit more of a fluid situation than you would like so It is relatively normal that there are wait times. There is a supply chain that spans continents with labor, storage and freight headaches that can slow a week into a month at any moment. We are spectacularly lucky these days that such incredible quality products are even available to us at the drop of a credit card. I understand your pain, but wish to point you back to your opening statement and preach a little patience. I hope your new board is fantastic and fulfills all your wave kiting dreams.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:36 pm

I know the feeling. It truly adds to the frustration that the extra layers of resellers delay the goods even longer and you pay them for the "privilege"! More direct is the future, other brands may not have exactly what you want but if people keep buying the old way and suffering like this nothing will change. Save money and time go more direct!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:58 pm

foilholio wrote:I know the feeling. It truly adds to the frustration that the extra layers of resellers delay the goods even longer and you pay them for the "privilege"! More direct is the future, other brands may not have exactly what you want but if people keep buying the old way and suffering like this nothing will change. Save money and time go more direct!
Most of all go local!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 pm

*frustrations with Firewire's UK/ EU distributor

And board bags? Really?

SuperMorriso
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Portugal
Table View, Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Strapless, Foil
Progression Sports
Kiteworld Magazine

Postby SuperMorriso » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:33 pm

foilholio wrote:I know the feeling. It truly adds to the frustration that the extra layers of resellers delay the goods even longer and you pay them for the "privilege"! More direct is the future, other brands may not have exactly what you want but if people keep buying the old way and suffering like this nothing will change. Save money and time go more direct!
- well I tried direct but got nowhere - local suppliers have been better
Starsky wrote:The problem is not entirely with firewire..... You have set yourself up for the situation by making yourself dependent on delivery. Never ever ever sell your gear before you have the replacement in hand. In reality, these are luxury items and no company that scrapes out margins on that type of gear is always going to have stock where and when you want it. They get thousands of emails from guys wanting to demo their gear without spending a cent. They are spinning plates in multiple countries and I'm sure they would like to give you exact info, but it's likely a bit more of a fluid situation than you would like so It is relatively normal that there are wait times. There is a supply chain that spans continents with labor, storage and freight headaches that can slow a week into a month at any moment. We are spectacularly lucky these days that such incredible quality products are even available to us at the drop of a credit card. I understand your pain, but wish to point you back to your opening statement and preach a little patience. I hope your new board is fantastic and fulfils all your wave kiting dreams.
- my whole point is I am sympathetic to all of this but the truth from them would have been much more appreciated and then I wouldn't be in this mess.. I was hoping someone could offer a possible solution for me... I will sing their praises no end if they are honest and try and offer a solution, or even respond.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:56 am

How about pick up the phone and ring them up?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:10 am

When comes to surfboards you can often go local and direct. In future just find a local shaper to make what you want the prices should be cheaper as well.

SuperMorriso
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Portugal
Table View, Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Strapless, Foil
Progression Sports
Kiteworld Magazine

Postby SuperMorriso » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 am

NorCalNomad wrote:*frustrations with Firewire's UK/ EU distributor

And board bags? Really?
agreed probably a better subject title (I have changed it)
Bags.... yes, seeing as my board is ready I thought asking about a quick n easy upsell for them before it's shipped might get their attention (that's how my mind would work if I worked for them anyway!)

sckitesurf
Medium Poster

Re: Frustrations with Firewire's UK/ EU distributor

Postby sckitesurf » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

@SuperMorriso, pm me and we will follow up on your issue with delivery. If your given a date for delivery that date should be met or at least some valid reason why it wasn't and expectations reset. On the other side, I can tell you that extremely high global demand for the new Kelly Slater line (on the surf side, not kite) may have impacted your order. If you surf and unless you live under a rock, it's well known that FireWire Slater models have a huge demand globally right now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”