Local Beach: Vancouver Island, Canada
Style: Freeride
Gear: OR Razor
Core XR3
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Free kite plans on GitHub

Postby Wbrussow » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 pm

Hello,
First post on kiteforum :) I have read through this thread and I am so impressed with the software, the discussion, and the completed kites. I have been postponing building a kite for about ten years. I had a go about 10-12 years ago with an early version of surfplan, but the results weren't great. I am looking for advice on what a good first kite would be to build. I have had a one kite quiver for about 6 years now: a 10.5 Naish Cult. I ride a surfboard on light wind days, and a twintip on medium days.

I am hoping to transition to riding a foil, and would like to have a strutless kite for that. I also want the kite be decent, so I am hoping to do a practice kite before. Would the Agilus 4 be a good start? I am hoping to use it as a trainer kite as well for my wife and kids. I did see the Ventus 2, but was hoping to not have to bother with the center strut.

All the best!

Wbrussow
Rare Poster
Core XR3

Postby Wbrussow » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:14 pm

Also, How PanTao, how would your software handle generating a plan for one the new Wingfoils?

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 am

Wbrussow wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 pm
Would the Agilus 4 be a good start? I am hoping to use it as a trainer kite as well for my wife and kids. I did see the Ventus 2, but was hoping to not have to bother with the center strut.
Hi,
the Agilus is easier to sew but the Ventus is easier to relaunch and fly. You can practice sewing with my "teaser" and then sew a Ventus in the size you want.
Wbrussow wrote:
Also, How PanTao, how would your software handle generating a plan for one the new Wingfoils?
Just so:

:D
These users thanked the author PanTau for the post (total 4):
kjorn (Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:06 am) • Wbrussow (Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:49 am) • nixmatters (Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:10 am) • kitejumping (Wed May 29, 2019 8:10 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Wbrussow
Rare Poster
Core XR3

Postby Wbrussow » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:49 am

Very Cool! Reminds me of the "kitewing" videos I used to drool over about 13 or so years ago... How did it perform? Would something like that be an easier first go, since (I imagine) there are much fewer panels?

The idea behind the practice kite is that once complete, I could get some use out of it by teaching my son how to fly a kite (he is 5). I read on your website that the "teaser" does not fly.

[edited typo]

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 am

PanTau wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 am
Wbrussow wrote:
Just so:

Hi PanTau, that's indeed great for a starter project! I'd love to make one wing before I even think about making my first kite.
Even if it's not perfectly assembled/symmetric, it'll do the job for landboarding and on snow, right?

Are you planning to share any plans soon? thanks!

stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall
Has thanked: 0

Postby stevet25 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Brilliant wing surfer - Pan Tau - are you jumping on the on trend bandwagon or is that an archive photo and you`ve been ahead of the curve for a while? Not sure that I have seen a video yet that has convinced me that it will be more fun than flying a kite.

Talking of which......... after a few errors, trials and tribulations (got a bit cocky, tried a few variations) the 5 Agilus is complete and had a very successful maiden flight - and by good fortune the resident beach videographer happened to be about -sorry that there is not more of the kite but it looks great against the backdrop So i`m really delighted with the 5 and 10, however they now put the original 7 in the shade - seems a bit agricultural in comparison (my skills have come on and the extra leading edge segments do seem to make a difference in flight)Indeed in 5 knots on the beach the 5m out performs the 7 in just hanging up there and not falling out the sky). So I was going to build the 4 next, but actually think i would like to revisit the 7 - I believe you mentioned you had updated the 7 plans with the extra LE segments - when you have a moment would be kind enough to share them please? In fact - once again, thank you so much for sharing these plans - it constantly amazes me that these fly so well off the drawing board- genius work PanTau :remybussi:
Attachments
P5180080.JPG
IMG_5428.JPG
IMG_5427.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 am

nixmatters wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 am
PanTau wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 am
Wbrussow wrote:
Just so:

Hi PanTau, that's indeed great for a starter project! I'd love to make one wing before I even think about making my first kite.
Even if it's not perfectly assembled/symmetric, it'll do the job for landboarding and on snow, right?

Are you planning to share any plans soon? thanks!

You do not need plans man. Just do it.

I've been building stuff for many years now, the first obstacle is not a detailed plan but not staying with KISS.

KISS method is the proof to yourself that you can do it. Everything built after is icing on the cake :)
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
nixmatters (Thu May 23, 2019 1:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Tue May 21, 2019 3:10 pm

stevet25 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm
are you jumping on the on trend bandwagon or is that an archive photo and you`ve been ahead of the curve for a while? Not sure that I have seen a video yet that has convinced me that it will be more fun than flying a kite.
I was just curious how a wing behaves compared to a kite :-) Conclusion: It's something different and a comparison doesn't make much sense. I like it on the landboard (close to powerlines, trees etc. :-)) handling is very easy and everybody can ride within minutes.
stevet25 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm
when you have a moment would be kind enough to share them please?
I'll update the Agilus plans and also add a 3m which fits better into the range. Added some features to the my software to improve the designs :-)

@stevet25: Great work, thanks for sharing!

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm

I think it’s awesome that you’ve made these and made them available and people are building them!

I’d like to build one, but realistically I probably won’t just due to lack of time/space and the fact that if I do build any kite gear in the near future, I’ll probably spend my time working on hydrofoil wings. But one day it would be awesome to be flying my own made kite!

Have you thought about doing a flatter, higher-aspect kite, in the style of something like a Rebel or Edge? I think that would be cool.

Return to “Kitesurfing”