Forum for kitesurfers
stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Free kite plans on GitHub

Postby stevet25 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Brilliant panTau thanks. I take your points about the niche for the wing surfer - I think I already have too many toys though!

Great to hear that you continue to develop the software and designs. Would I understand the latest features, and how do you think they will improve the design?

Looking forward to seeing revised 7 and 3(wow!) plans - maybe I should see if I can actually build a kite in a weekend this time!

KiteBoatGuy
Rare Poster
Gear: Sailboats !
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteBoatGuy » Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 am

Wow. Interesting thread.

I'm not a kite surfer. I'm a sailor. I've got access to a few boat hulls and I would love to play around with a kite on a boat.

I know nothing about kites. Where should I start ?

stevet25
Rare Poster

Postby stevet25 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi pantau

loving ny 5m Agilus - wonderfully well behaved and works wonddefully foer mw at 65kgs with a big fat sup foil from 12 - 18 knots. There is only one weak spot - when i oversheet when waterstarting the LE at the elbowseems to fold out (weirdly only on the left side) I can counter it by being very conscious to sheet out as i get up onto the board, but it is a bit annoying. i cant make it do this deform at any other point of flying. i decided to try to remedy by installing a pulley at the tightest point of the elbow on the LE,and installing a bridle link between front and rear bridles (my v2 storm voyagers have this, I have seen them on Liquid Force, and Switch have used them as a power transfer bridle). my thought is that it will stop the elbow from folding out under this oversheeting load. Only one test session so far but it seems to do the trick.

I have not encountered this problem on the 10 and 7, and I would rather not have the extra bridle. I am currently anticipating building the 4m for which you have previously sent the plans. So I was wondering about the source of the issue - it may be a bit of mis-sewing on my part, or possibly we have gone too small on le diameter, or maybe curve at the elbow could be modified? I would appreciate your thoughts - at the moment i am minded to build in a couple of pulleys into the 4 LE as an option rather than the pfaff of retrofitting them

I guess you have you been to busy on other projects for an opportunity to look at the modified 7 and the 3?

Best wishes
Attachments
IMG_5770[1].JPG
IMG_5767[1].JPG

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:07 pm

KiteBoatGuy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 am
Wow. Interesting thread.

I'm not a kite surfer. I'm a sailor. I've got access to a few boat hulls and I would love to play around with a kite on a boat.

I know nothing about kites. Where should I start ?
Study this: http://www.kitetender.nl/
And perhaps ask them for some basic advice ..

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Coming next...
Version 4 of my freeride, wave and foil kite "GO"
Still work in progress but almost ready to go into "production" :D

Added a couple of new features to my wingcalc software to reduce building time and to simplify reproduction

These users thanked the author PanTau for the post:
downunder (Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

stevet25
Rare Poster

Postby stevet25 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Hey PanTau - great to see you have been busy over the summer - new design and upgrades look impressive - cant wait to see more. And just in time as the nights grow ever longer - construction time is here again!

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:37 am

That is a good looking design, nice balance between simplicity in structure and smooth appearance. I like it a lot :thumb:

Some remarks/questions:

First two wingtip panels could be merged together because they are flat, aren't they?

How about some scallop in TE? I don't see any.

Panels 3 could have battens to keep canopy steadier. IDK if it is needed though.

Bridle looks good and simple. 0-1-2-3 pulleys?

How much coning is there (build in AoA)?

Saw tooth TE reinforcement looks professional.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:15 am

PanTau wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 pm
Coming next...
Version 4 of my freeride, wave and foil kite "GO"
Still work in progress but almost ready to go into "production" :D

Added a couple of new features to my wingcalc software to reduce building time and to simplify reproduction
And they are? ;) For us, non professionals :)

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:26 am

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:37 am
That is a good looking design, nice balance between simplicity in structure and smooth appearance. I like it a lot :thumb:
Me too :-)
Main difference to the predecessors is the rounder shape of the arc. Version 1+2 have a very good lowend but they are difficult to relaunch in light wind. No problem if you are on a twintip but I got into trouble with the foilboard in very light wind (<10kn)
kitexpert wrote:
Some remarks/questions:
First two wingtip panels could be merged together because they are flat, aren't they?
They get merged in the 2D view + dxf but not in the 3D model
kitexpert wrote:
How about some scallop in TE? I don't see any.
There is already some scallop in the TE. More would only make sense if I increase chord on the strut. Can't see any benefit in more scallop. You?
kitexpert wrote:
Panels 3 could have battens to keep canopy steadier. IDK if it is needed though.
GO v1 and v2 didn't need any battens. They could be added later on...
kitexpert wrote:
Bridle looks good and simple. 0-1-2-3 pulleys?
Same as on the older versions. One pulley in the V on the tip and some extra attachment points to adjust depower and bar feeling
kitexpert wrote:
How much coning is there (build in AoA)?
Reduced the build in AoA by 1.5 degrees so now it's ~1.5 degrees in the center. May require some battens now ...
kitexpert wrote:
Saw tooth TE reinforcement looks professional.
Nice but it's a nightmare to sew :naughty:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for the answers :thumb: About the scallop some kites have it so much it can be easily seen, some not so much. Apparently another parameter in which some value just have to be chosen. Maybe only test flights can tell if there is a need for more of it, how TE looks like etc. If TE is already good adding scallop would be unnecessary, I think. And as you know there is many other things which affect to TE (tension).

Keep on doing good work!

Return to “Kitesurfing”