Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Free kite plans on GitHub

Forum for kitesurfers
Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Free kite plans on GitHub

Postby Gigi;) » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 am

Hi,

it's great to see that hobby scene is still alive! Done a lot of kite projects in the past, well, I'm still doing it...

BTW if you're in the need of custom bladders for your projects or other kite parts --> :idea: send us an email and we'll help you out ;)

http://drtuba.eu
or
http://doctuba.com

Wish you happy builing and a lot of fun!
:bye: :thumb:
Attachments
gigi_kite_design_drtuba_1.jpg

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am

Is that THE Gigi? :thumb:

Yeah, might drop you an email :) Cheers i hvala

kalliespidahl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Holland State Park, MI, USA
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, NC
Phi Kite School, Vietnam
Barra Nova, Brasil
Style: Manatee on a kite/foil/wingboard
Gear: Airush

Postby kalliespidahl » Tue May 02, 2017 6:47 pm

I really want to make my first kite (the Circus Karsten has posted on GitHub). Any recommendations for thread? Needle size?

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Open sourcing kite plans is a great idea. If someone dismantles a new kite and publishes its measurements to the internet, is it piracy? :D
I bet kites would be very cheap if we could get kites from the factories without marketing, developing, sponsoring etc. costs.

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Wed May 03, 2017 12:03 am

@stevet25: Congratulations for your first kite! Great to hear that you are happy with it. Please let me know about your improvements so that I can update the plans

@downunder: Unfortunately it's not my shop. I only have very limited space in my cellar :-)
If you are familiar with kite sewing it will take you about 20h to build the Agilus, otherwise it can easily be 4x as much

@Peert: If you only want to get a cheap kite you will be better off with a gong strutless kite. It will save you a lot of time, work and nerves :-)
You can get all the fabrics from extremtextil.de and bladders from drtuba or bonoborepair. For a strutless kite you may also be able to "recycle" an old bladder.
Be careful not to use cheap nylon spinnaker since it stretches a lot and your kite will flutter like crazy

@kalliespidahl: To sew the Circus as your first kite is not a good idea. It has a lot of segments and struts and it will take you more than 100h to sew it. I assume that it's also not the best kite for you since it has a lot of pull and sits deep in the wind window. Until now I didn't get any feedback from Klaus who built one in size 11 so I can't provide you more details about the flying characteristics.
You should start with the GO. The kite flies very well, jumps high and is much easier to sew. Gregor from bonoborepair and I are currently building the GO (version 2) in sizes 9, 12 and 15 which has a little more C-Shape than the GO you find on Github. Unfortunately they are not yet ready but I can publish the plans if you are interested.

@all: I can easily provide the plans in different sizes and change the designs if one of you is really interested in sewing "his own" kite.
I'm also working on my kite design software WingCalc to make it available online. Backend + API is already finished, the missing part is the easy to use web ui + documentation. It will take me a some more weeks to launch the first version so that you can also design your kites and download and print the plans.

Since the whole kite design and development project is only a hobby it takes some time to proceed. So all feedback and support is really appreciated.

Cheers
PanTau

kalliespidahl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Holland State Park, MI, USA
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, NC
Phi Kite School, Vietnam
Barra Nova, Brasil
Style: Manatee on a kite/foil/wingboard
Gear: Airush

Postby kalliespidahl » Wed May 03, 2017 4:13 am

Oook- you are the kitemaster so I will take your advice ;)

I'm intrigued by your 2nd version of the GO kite.

I've been riding switchblades, but I am having a hard time doing unhooked tricks with them (I'm just doing raleys and backrolls so far)- it's like they pull too much, but I suppose it could be my technique since I'm just learning. I flew a North Dice and everything felt effortless- I really felt the extra pop and slack. I also loved how fast it turned- so fun to loop.

It would be fun to make the GO, I just want to make sure it doesn't fly like a Switchblade- I have enough of those :)

Thanks again @PanTau

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed May 03, 2017 5:51 am

kalliespidahl wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:13 am
Oook- you are the kitemaster so I will take your advice ;)

I'm intrigued by your 2nd version of the GO kite.

I've been riding switchblades, but I am having a hard time doing unhooked tricks with them (I'm just doing raleys and backrolls so far)- it's like they pull too much, but I suppose it could be my technique since I'm just learning. I flew a North Dice and everything felt effortless- I really felt the extra pop and slack. I also loved how fast it turned- so fun to loop.

It would be fun to make the GO, I just want to make sure it doesn't fly like a Switchblade- I have enough of those :)

Thanks again @PanTau
Just about everything will feel fast after a switchblade, and it's a horrible kite to unhook with. :wink: great kite to learn with though.

It's super rad to see people doing DIY kites.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peert » Wed May 03, 2017 11:28 am

PanTau wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:03 am

@Peert: If you only want to get a cheap kite you will be better off with a gong strutless kite. It will save you a lot of time, work and nerves :-)
You can get all the fabrics from extremtextil.de and bladders from drtuba or bonoborepair. For a strutless kite you may also be able to "recycle" an old bladder.
Be careful not to use cheap nylon spinnaker since it stretches a lot and your kite will flutter like crazy

@all: I can easily provide the plans in different sizes and change the designs if one of you is really interested in sewing "his own" kite.
I'm also working on my kite design software WingCalc to make it available online. Backend + API is already finished, the missing part is the easy to use web ui + documentation. It will take me a some more weeks to launch the first version so that you can also design your kites and download and print the plans.

Since the whole kite design and development project is only a hobby it takes some time to proceed. So all feedback and support is really appreciated.

Cheers
PanTau
Hi PanTau,
Thank for your responses. My main hobby is kitesurfing but I also like building kites. Creating something myself. Build several kites in the past. Own two Pfaffs :roll: So a gong? Maybe. build something myself? even more likely.
Are you still considering to offer DIY kits with cutting and stitching lines printed on the fabric? How would you do that anyway? Using a plotter? I have access to a plotter at work so I could try to do the same should you not be looking at it anymore. Did anyone trie to put kite fabric trough a 'standard' paper plotter. Does that work? does the ink stick?

I would like to build a strutless in 7 or 8 meter to complement my 10m Trip. This said I would be curious to learn a little bit more about your kite design compared to other strutless kites. I found the specifications of your design on your website so I will look into info on other strutless (Gong/Naish) in terms of aspect ratio etc. In my experience strutless kites turn well in general (less inertia, no struts that function as rudders) so a relatively high aspect ratio sound like a good idea for a kite to be used on hydrofoil. Not sure about the effect on relaunch capability and also the ratio between kite weight and surface is negatively affected.

Thanks for your offer to scale or make changes in design. I will only dare to ask you to do so at the satge I am 100% I will build it. I would love to play around with your software as well, but will probably build a a first tubekite a design that is proven..

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Wed May 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Yes & THX

:bye: :thumb:
downunder wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am
Is that THE Gigi? :thumb:

Yeah, might drop you an email :) Cheers i hvala

PanTau
Medium Poster