Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Free kite plans on GitHub

Forum for kitesurfers
VP22
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Style: foil
Gear: alpine wave1200, concept air pulsion 12, Go+1strut 9m, cabrinha switchblade 7, agilus 5m

Re: Free kite plans on GitHub

Postby VP22 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am

nixmatters wrote: VP22, did you make the trailing edge with Cuben Fiber too? Please report how it holds up after some hours flying and packing/unpacking. I've had negative experience with CF for canopy, therefore my earlier question about shrinkage.
Yes i use CF on the training edge to reduce vibrations. After about 12 hours from 6 knots to 25knots (in gusts but with 9m² :oops: ), no problem with shrinkage. At the end of the season it will be more realist. Just to wait for the end of COVID 19 period. :(

for the PE bladder i find this https://polyestershoppen.fr/lijmen-en-k ... xqEALw_wcB to glue it. I don't know if it's possible to "glue" the valve(PU) on PE?

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:06 pm

VP22 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am

for the PE bladder i find this https://polyestershoppen.fr/lijmen-en-k ... xqEALw_wcB to glue it. I don't know if it's possible to "glue" the valve(PU) on PE?
Considering that most kite valves are actually PVC and not PU, seems you've found the right glue for the job!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200322_130312.jpg

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:12 pm

VP22 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:56 pm
i made a custom GO 9m² because i just keep one strut. The LE and the one strut is made with cuben fiber . the total weight: 1,55Kg. with hydrofoil is just magic because the kite flight in very light wind. thanks panthau for this works.
Hi,
great job! Thanks for sharing the result :thumb:
Which kite did you build? Looks more like a Ventus than a GO. Did you "merge" the designs?

Karsten

VP22
Rare Poster
Gear: alpine wave1200, concept air pulsion 12, Go+1strut 9m, cabrinha switchblade 7, agilus 5m

Postby VP22 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:18 pm

PanTau wrote: Hi,
great job! Thanks for sharing the result
Which kite did you build? Looks more like a Ventus than a GO. Did you "merge" the designs?

Karsten
Hi,
i use the G0 9 design with only the middle strut to be lighter. The kite fly very well. Thanks for the kite design. with cuben fiber it's very efficient. I have to improve the bladder with PE bladder to make more lighter and near 1,2Kg. it'll be perfect. For the moment it's covid19 stand-by. :(

kiteykitekite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteykitekite » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 am

1.2kg is awesome.

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:03 am

VP22 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:18 pm
i use the G0 9 design with only the middle strut to be lighter. The kite fly very well
Anything I should improve on the design? I never built your GO version so any feedback is very much appreciated!
I'm currently updating my three kite models (Agilus, Ventus and GO) with the latest software release and some design changes. And could also add an extra light DCF (ex. cuben) version...

Funny fact about the DCF: There is a larger DCF order on the way and will be available in the extremtextil store and I was also planning to build a DCF Version of the Ventus. Lightest DCF is 18g/sqm for the sail :jump:

I will also try to get some very light bladder material...
Let's make the best out of this corona bullshit

All the best
Karsten

VP22
Rare Poster

Postby VP22 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 am

PanTau wrote: Anything I should improve on the design? I never built your GO version so any feedback is very much appreciated!
I'm currently updating my three kite models (Agilus, Ventus and GO) with the latest software release and some design changes. And could also add an extra light DCF (ex. cuben) version...

Funny fact about the DCF: There is a larger DCF order on the way and will be available in the extremtextil store and I was also planning to build a DCF Version of the Ventus. Lightest DCF is 18g/sqm for the sail

I will also try to get some very light bladder material...
for the design it's ok with one strut for me. I'm sailmaker since 1995 but not a professionnal kite pilot.the GO+1strut do the job for me.
For the sail i was looking to use the 18g DCF but with the DCF leading edge and the design GO+1strut it was enough for the risk and money ;-) when you don't know if the kite'll be flying.
I think that the bladder fabric is one of the most important component with the leading edge fabric for having a light kite.

For the end of leading edge (both sides) i use little plastic zip for cushion to put the bladder in (instead of complicated and heavy scratch system)
For the bridles i use a friction ring.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 am

Bladder might be light, but I would not trust it.

The biggest issue in my books is a double sealed bladder. So, made if two long pieces. That has a potential for disaster.

D.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Klokhuis & Appleflap noseless
Da Kine C-1
Brand Affiliation: Promoter
Has thanked: 0

Postby peppedurso » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:37 pm

PanTau wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:03 am

Funny fact about the DCF: There is a larger DCF order on the way and will be available in the extremtextil store and I was also planning to build a DCF Version of the Ventus. Lightest DCF is 18g/sqm for the sail :jump:
Hi PanTau,

I've ordered form extremetextil some sample of DCF 102g, 50g and 18g, it's insanely light, waterproof and windproof. (btw amazing shop, service and customer care)

Is the 18g strong enough to be used for the canopy? how you compare to Ripstop? at a given strength what weight difference between DCF and Ripstop?

what amount of weight saving can you predict in using DCF 102g/DCF 18g vs Dacron/Ripstop? is the kite going to be stiffer too?

thank you in advance for all the info!

all the best
Peppe

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm

peppedurso wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:37 pm
PanTau wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:03 am

Hi PanTau,

I've ordered form extremetextil some sample of DCF 102g, 50g and 18g, it's insanely light, waterproof and windproof. (btw amazing shop, service and customer care)

Is the 18g strong enough to be used for the canopy? how you compare to Ripstop? at a given strength what weight difference between DCF and Ripstop?

what amount of weight saving can you predict in using DCF 102g/DCF 18g vs Dacron/Ripstop? is the kite going to be stiffer too?

thank you in advance for all the info!

all the best
Peppe
Done some testing with CT1K18/25gsm - exactly same amount of Dyneema yarn and tensile strength as CT1E08/18gsm, but slightly heavier due to different/heavier laminate film. Tensile strength is in the upper range of a 53-60gsm Teijin ripstop, tear strength is double. Ended up using for the canopy CT2K18/34gsm - same laminate as CT1K18m, but double the amount of Dyneema yarn, so are the specs vs polyester ripstop.

Maiden flight - just awesome, but after just few hours of use and packing/unpacking the CF shrunk heavily (as it normally shrinks) and the shape was gone. Heavy TE flutter, even the dacron struts lost shape. The kite (9m 3 strut hybrid) still flies in no wind, but the CF canopy project was ditched. Happy to see if somenone else will solve the shrinkage problem somehow. Before that, don't waste the nice material, make a tarp, tent or a backpack what it's made for.
Will post some photos of the canopy when I find them, it's been 4 years since then. The kite came out at a bit over 2kg, with DP dacron LE/struts and 0,80 bladder, split pump.
Attachments
CT1K18_specs_for canopy.JPG
CT1K 18.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”