Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

Forum for kitesurfers
Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am

I have a Gong strutless 12m.
Nice kite. Higer AR than the Cloud V2 I believe 8.5 I tried. Comparable to the naish trip I also own. The Gong and BRM dont like being overpowerd. The Gong LE will distort at the front. The BRM LE will bend between the last bridle point of front line and the backline.
Trip 10m does not have these issues and can happily be (mis)used in a wider windrange.
For me from 9-10 knots on the Hfoil up until 25 on a TT..

@Tomhorton: Curious about the effects of the battens. can you post a picture detailing the material that is used for it?
Last edited by Peert on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:38 am

I´ve had the Cloud C1 in 10 & 17 m² and the Storm Voyager V2 in 9 m² (on strapless surfboard).
My learning: Strutless kites lack depower! Massive low end, but very little depower. Didn´t like any of them. The windrange was very narrow for me.

Maybe the later models have increased in depower capabilities, don´t konw...

1-strut models still lack depower from my point of view (LF Solo, North Mono).
Decided to stay with 3-strut wave kites.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:19 pm

I wouldn't say it's fair to compare with the C1.

C5 and D0 are almost a different kites. It depowers much much better, and the throw is very short.

I haven't ridden the gong yet. They feel a bit heavier compared to cloud but probably more durable.

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marina Bay, CA
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Gong v3 Strutless Kites, 6m, 8m, 10m
Slingshot Celeritas strapless surfboard
Lift 170 Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomhorton » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi RalfsB, as you can imagine, any 17m kite is going to turn very slow. I can downloop my 17m Gong Strutless. While the 12m Gong Strutless turns considerably faster than the 17m Gong Strutless, the 12 m Gong Strutless does not come anywhere close to turning as fast as a Core 12m GTS. The 9m Gong Strutless is a fast turning kite. If I really snap it around, I can downloop the 9m Gong Strutless sitting at 10 o'clock. I would say the 9m Gong Strutless is probably as fast turning as a 9m Core GTS. Also, per inputs from friends, the Gong Strutless does not jump nearly as well as the Cores (not an issue for me as I don't jump).
Cheers,
Tom

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marina Bay, CA
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Gong v3 Strutless Kites, 6m, 8m, 10m
Slingshot Celeritas strapless surfboard
Lift 170 Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomhorton » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi Peert, relative to your post "Curious about the effects of the battens. can you post a picture detailing the material that is used for it?", the following are my inputs.
The use of the batten immensely improves the performance of the Gong Strutless. I believe the batten is fiberglass (it wrapped in a sheath), similar to what was used on windsurfing sails. Unlike battens that were used in windsurf sails, It does not seem to be tapered. Here is a link to the Gong website that shows a video of the batten. https://vimeo.com/191726616
As an FYI, I am based in the San Francisco Bay Area if anyone is interested in trying out one of my Gong Strutless.
Cheers,
Tom

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 pm

tomhorton wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm
Hi Peert, relative to your post "Curious about the effects of the battens. can you post a picture detailing the material that is used for it?", the following are my inputs.
The use of the batten immensely improves the performance of the Gong Strutless. I believe the batten is fiberglass (it wrapped in a sheath), similar to what was used on windsurfing sails. Unlike battens that were used in windsurf sails, It does not seem to be tapered. Here is a link to the Gong website that shows a video of the batten.
As an FYI, I am based in the San Francisco Bay Area if anyone is interested in trying out one of my Gong Strutless.
Cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom,
Could you please share more information and impressions about Gong strutless. I’m (75kg) considering buying a 12m for foiling 6-11 knots. What do you think?
Thanks
P.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 pm

@lightwind.
Using a LEI from 6 knots? Forget it.
Even in colder more dense winds you need at least 8 kts.
If you are after sub 8 kite that has the feel of a LEI take a look at Foilkites (Kitech FRS, FS Soul, PL Nova or CA Pulsion)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Peert wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 pm
@lightwind.
If you are after sub 8 kite that has the feel of a LEI take a look at Foilkites (Kitech FRS, FS Soul, PL Nova or CA Pulsion)
Good advice.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:13 am

slowboat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm
Peert wrote:
@lightwind.
Good advice.
If you're after the feel of a LEI, easy handling, fast turning, outstanding drift, and the ability to stay flying in 3 knots, consider a Flysurfer Peak 4. It's my favorite hydrofoil kite. The 5m gets me foiling in about 8-10 knots on flat water, and it's useable up to 20-25 knots in swell. Relaunch isn't guaranteed, but it doesn't fall in the water like a normal kite.

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 am

Peert wrote:
@lightwind.
I do not fully agree with this, it all depends on the set up (kite/ board) you have and the conditions. I can foil "comfortably" on a big wing (Onda) with a 9m LEI in 7 kn (I am around 85kg). I will be underpowered but once I am on the foil its all good. The problem (and there I agree) is that in a 7kn wind there will usually be lulls of 5kn, and this is where the trouble starts.
Also, it depends on the conditions of your spot. Side shore wind and flat water gets you going easy in 7kn, while onshore winds with a nasty shorebreak will make it more difficult.

So its the total package of gear and conditions (and rider skills) rather than a certain wind strength that makes the difference

Return to “Kitesurfing”