Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

Postby omg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am

Also, when someone quotes 7knots, is it the average or "gusts", with an average of say 6 knots. We have on the spot a wind meter and I (80kg) need 7avg and 8-8,5 knots in gusts to be able to ride with 12m Boxer and 633 (pumping). And this spot has _very_ steady winds.

After all, 7-8 knots is really little wind! :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 pm

omg wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am
Also, when someone quotes 7knots, is it the average or "gusts", with an average of say 6 knots. We have on the spot a wind meter and I (80kg) need 7avg and 8-8,5 knots in gusts to be able to ride with 12m Boxer and 633 (pumping). And this spot has _very_ steady winds.

After all, 7-8 knots is really little wind! :wink:

That makes perfect sense to me, at your weight and wing it would sometimes not be possible to ride in 7 knots and sometimes it works, but in 8 knots (average 10 m height and quite steady wind) it is easy, with a 12 m2 tubekite.

Exactly my findings too, this is they typical limit for the average weights with a (preferably light) 12 m2, between 7 and 8 knots, depending on smoothness of wind and temperature of course.

You need very special gear to go lower.

8) Peter

Hydrofoil4life
Rare Poster
Gear: Ketos hydrofoil
Gong sfs 6, 9 & bar
Gong strutless 12
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hydrofoil4life » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Hello,
I've got 3 gongs, a 9m storm which is now a 3 struts of small diameter and a 12m one strut storm.

The 9m storm performs very nicely. Fast, very light, still holds steady at 12 o'clock even when there isn't enough wind to waterstart.

The 12m storm one strut performs well on hydrofoil. It fly with the slightest breeze. It's pretty slow though, due to it's high aspect ratio. But then you get more speed and less lateral traction, which is what you want for your hydrofoil. I love that kite.

I've had pretty bad experiences with gong as I had a full quiver (3 kites and 2 bars). I had some problems on 2 kites from the very beginning. The boss really didn't admit anything and didn't even want to consider a replacement of any kind. Went on forums and talked to a few people who were experiencing the same thing. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get the nice stuff.

I've never had the chance to try a cloud, but my friend who's riding these love them and keep ordering every new edition of it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”