Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

Postby salvino » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Starsky,

I see you are Ontario based. Do you foil on Lake Erie with the clouds?

I've started foiling on Erie and at 90kg I'm loving my 9M RRD religion for any wind that's reasonable to foil in: basically 8-20 kts. That because it light enough to stay in air and I never need more power.

So this has me thinking that kites such as Clouds would be well suited to my riding at my location (Lakes Erie and Ontario).

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Lake Ontario. I only have the cloud as my big kite (12) and drop to a 9m rally at around 12 knots.

The 12 is great and can do things the rally can't. Makes me want one of the new 8.5s but that can wait. The rally has so much range and certainly doesn't hold me back! I bet the religion and many other 9m kites are great for foiling. 9m is such a fantastic size. Almost a one kite quiver.

Doesn't take long to realize clouds are on another level as the perfect free ride kite for foiling. They are so light and easy, and it is not very hard to get used to less pumping!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I'd like to hear more about the voyagers.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 pm

I used to use GONG SUP boards, before going back to kitesurfing, haven't tried the Strutless GONG kites, but they sell well in Europe, and the owner of the company, (the guy in the videos) has vast experience in shaping, and foil riding, on SUP and Kitefoil, I know a good rider can make anything look good , but seems to work for him.
http://www.gongkite.com/-Movies-.html?lang=fr

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah, the dude is kiting a fridge door! I really like the Gong boards

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marina Bay, CA
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Gong v3 Strutless Kites, 6m, 8m, 10m
Slingshot Celeritas strapless surfboard
Lift 170 Foil

Postby tomhorton » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Relative to BRM Clouds as compared to Gong Strutless Kites, I have both Clouds and Gong Strutless Kites. I ride either a Lift Foil or a strapless surfboard (no twintips and jumping for me due to 5 knee surgeries). The Gong Strutless is a fraction of the price of the Cloud and for me, the Gong Strutless performs better. By using a center batten, the Gong Strutless holds it shape really well and does not exhibit the flutter that is common with strutless kites. Other than the Flysurfer Soul ram air foil kite, I know of no other kite that is as suitable for foiling for the non-racer foiler as the Gong Strutless. Relative to the surfboard, both the BRM Cloud and the Gong Strutless have excellent drift characteristics.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm

tomhorton wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 pm
Relative to BRM Clouds as compared to Gong Strutless Kites, I have both Clouds and Gong Strutless Kites. I ride either a Lift Foil or a strapless surfboard (no twintips and jumping for me due to 5 knee surgeries). The Gong Strutless is a fraction of the price of the Cloud and for me, the Gong Strutless performs better. By using a center batten, the Gong Strutless holds it shape really well and does not exhibit the flutter that is common with strutless kites. Other than the Flysurfer Soul ram air foil kite, I know of no other kite that is as suitable for foiling for the non-racer foiler as the Gong Strutless. Relative to the surfboard, both the BRM Cloud and the Gong Strutless have excellent drift characteristics.
I have a gong strutless 9m but I haven’t bothered with the batten as I thought the extra weight would be detrimental to the amazing ability of these kites to hang in the air in the lulls. I’m not that bothered by flutter, however I do find that strutless kites can become a bit of a handful when the wind picks up. If you have experience with/without the batten, can you comment on its effect on:
1) Drift/float
2) Wind range
3) relaunch
4) Tendancy to blow away when down on the beach
5) Any idea what the batten weighs?

Thanks

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marina Bay, CA
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Gong v3 Strutless Kites, 6m, 8m, 10m
Slingshot Celeritas strapless surfboard
Lift 170 Foil

Postby tomhorton » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi faklord, the following are my inputs/opinions regarding your questions. I've tried my Gong Strutless Kites (17m, 12m and 9m) with and without the batten and I would never use my Gong Strutless without the batten. The kite holds its shape so much better with the batten and hence performs much better with the batten.

1) Drift/float- Better with the batten.
2) Wind range - Far greater wind range with the batten.
3) relaunch - no difference with or without batten.
4) Tendancy to blow away when down on the beach - Similar to my Cloud, the Gong will definitely blow away unless it is weighed down properly. Because the batten causes the canopy to be raised a bit off the ground, the use of the batten causes the Gong to flap more in the wind than without the batten.
5) Any idea what the batten weighs? Not sure the exact weight of the batten, but weight of the batten is insignificant.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks. I think you have talked me into trying one!

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 am

Can anybody tell what is the turning speed of the Gong Strutless (large sizes like 17m) and how does it compare to other strutless kites?

Return to “Kitesurfing”