Ride Engine+Slider Bar+ Boosting

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Ride Engine+Slider Bar+ Boosting

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:05 pm

airfly wrote:I love my ride engine carbon, but i only ride strapless and don't do big jumps. Here is what happened to a friend who did big jumps with his hydrofoil and a carbon slider bar. ...
If you didn't already, have your friend contact Ride. I'm certain that'd be covered by warranty and they may want to see the harness to determine if it was a manufacturing defect or design issue.

airfly
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby airfly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:07 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
airfly wrote:I love my ride engine carbon, but i only ride strapless and don't do big jumps. Here is what happened to a friend who did big jumps with his hydrofoil and a carbon slider bar. ...
If you didn't already, have your friend contact Ride. I'm certain that'd be covered by warranty and they may want to see the harness to determine if it was a manufacturing defect or design issue.

He gave it back to the shop and took another brand... He said that the knot aren't strong enough to keep the rope in place. He tried several kind of knots, but none of them worked.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:42 am

airfly wrote:He gave it back to the shop and took another brand... He said that the knot aren't strong enough to keep the rope in place. He tried several kind of knots, but none of them worked.
Sounds like your friend has crappy knot tying skills.

airfly
Rare Poster

Postby airfly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:27 am

Bushflyr wrote:
airfly wrote:He gave it back to the shop and took another brand... He said that the knot aren't strong enough to keep the rope in place. He tried several kind of knots, but none of them worked.
yep, mine didn't move...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the obvious. Ride Engine in probably the quickest and easiest harness to swap spreader bars. I have both slider and fixed hook. I no longer bother feeding the tabs on the back of the bar pads into the elastic Velcro belt. I went with the stainless spreaders so I could open the bend on the side that stays attached just enough to facilitate swapping. More than enough friction fit to keep whichever one is mounted securely on the harness and its literally a 30 second swap. Both spreaders are the same width, so no need to adjust anything. Just swap and ride. At first I was not so keen on the webbing and buckle system of size adjustment, but once I clued in that they are really meant for set and forget use, I have really enjoyed the harness. The harness need not be very tight, I wear it such that the PVC covered webbing is easily flipped on/off the opening side of the spreader for quick entry/exit. No need to touch the adjustment buckles until season switch over from water to snow.

Very happy with the harness, both sliding and fixed.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:04 am

Bushflyr wrote:
:lol: :lol:
A figure 8 (stopper knot) is pretty much the easiest knot you can tie.

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully he got something else he is happy with. :thumb:

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 pm

I have an og engine and I've never had a knot pull out and I've gone through at least 6 ropes. I did recently crack the harness after landing on my back in a few inches of water from a botched boost so I'll be getting a mass production one soon...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 pm

t3rse wrote:I have an og engine and I've never had a knot pull out and I've gone through at least 6 ropes. I did recently crack the harness after landing on my back in a few inches of water from a botched boost so I'll be getting a mass production one soon...
Shitty loss! My wife slipped walking down a concrete ramp fell on her back, didn't break the harness but the harness broke her fall. Saved the day that is for sure!

I have been using a sliding hook for years, it does not move on me when jumping or rotating, it only moves when I twist my hips to open my stance up a bit for comfort.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 am

A little piece of me died when it happened. Honestly the lam didn't look like it had a great wet out where it broke. I'm still using it for now...

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:46 pm

CaptainArgh can you place a pic or link to the rolling hook you are using? Just curious

Return to “Kitesurfing”