Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning Wave Kitesurfing in Mauritius... Good Idea?

Forum for kitesurfers
davincy92
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Muine, Vietnam
Style: Freestyel, TT, Surf
Gear: Kite: Ozone Enduro (7, 10 & 14m)
Surfboard: Nobile Infinity 5'9" (Splitboard)
TT: Brunotti 136cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Learning Wave Kitesurfing in Mauritius... Good Idea?

Postby davincy92 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Hello all. Hoping!
I'm planning to spend 2 months (upcoming September and October) in Mauritius with the goal of learning kitesurfing on waves. I am fairly advance on TT (Jumps, back&front rolls, toe side, downloops) but I've just started with starpless Surfboard 6 months ago (about 15 sessions) on flat water. Still struggling with Jibes (only 40-50% success rate) but pretty good at heelside to/from toeside transitions. Will be spending about 3 weeks over the next month in Sri Lanka to improve... I'm a slow learner!

Is Mauritius a good spot for beginners wanting to learn wave kitesurfing? or is it only for Pros. Also, I'm curious about the number of sessions you would "guestimate" is required to become "very" proficient at kiting waves up to medium size (1 to 2 m)... I don't have a surfing background.

Many Thanks

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Learning Wave Kitesurfing in Mauritius... Good Idea?

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Just spent two weeks in Le Morne. You can get butter flat to barrels and everything in between. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

davincy92
Rare Poster
Muine, Vietnam

Postby davincy92 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:15 am

Thanks for the input Shawn. Looking forward to learning. Already having so much fun just riding on flat water... so can't wait to progress to waves eventually.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:56 am

Went there when I was your level (though I have a little surfing background), and got my real first waves with a kite. Really nice conditions: you can stay in the lagoon to perfect your jibes, then on Little Reef, you can get your first waves, and then go to Manawa, which is easy-peasy too. Enough water not to get hurt on both spots, Manawa is further away and can get bigger. Did not go to One-Eye because conditions were not that good (and if there is a problem, you can drift offshore), but I guess you will after 2 weeks, or even before... Really, I don't know that many surfing kite spots, but I don't see how it could be better than that... (well, less people on the waves would have been paradise)

davincy92
Rare Poster
Muine, Vietnam

Postby davincy92 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:22 pm

This is great info Sgallian and very encouraging. Many thanks.

I'm planning to kite every windy day during those 2 months in Mauritius. So based on what you said it should be enough to get me to a decent enough level where I will be riding some waves... Really exciting!! I have been somewhat intimidated about kitesurfing waves, worried it takes a extremely long time before being ready to attempt first waves, even small ones.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:21 am

If you have a local spot that has tidal rollers, that is an excellent way to transition from flat water into waves. You can get tidal rollers in rivers or bays. That's how I learned!

davincy92
Rare Poster
Muine, Vietnam

Postby davincy92 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:56 am

Thanks Cleepa. Would be awesome but not an option where I live now. However, I'm actually starting a multi-months travel around the world to places where they have good kiting condition, starting with Mauritius.
So from what I'm hearing, I'm hopeful Mauritius will offer a wide range of waves including for beginner.

KitesurfingCapeTown
Rare Poster

Postby KitesurfingCapeTown » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:42 am

Hi

I guess there will be many opinions on where the best spot is and what the best way to learn is. So the question on learning in Mauritius is a good one. Because lets face it Mauritius is an awesome place and have some amazing kiting spots. Is this however a great place for a beginner to start? In my humble opinion when you are starting out wave kitesurfing and you are not able to Gybe then that can create a lot of frustration. Being able to Gybe is a technique usually learned a while after learning to wave ride allowing you to surf in one spot. The alternative ? Well learning wave kitesurfing on a downwinder. So my advice would be to look for a wave camp that offers downwinders.

We run a wavecamp on a 6 km stretch of beach in Cape Town South Africa with a shuttle service which lets you spend time perfecting your technique. It just takes the frustration out of learning on a directional board.

Since you are doing a world tour you have to come and pop in to Cape Town. Its one of the greatest kite spots in the world ! ... Again humble opinion :0

Also watch our free tutorials on wave riding. I have included some of the videos for you. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy wave riding!

https://youtu.be/GtVos8oyL4Y?list=PL02V ... yw2VJl1PtR
https://youtu.be/k2jmyVIexUc?list=PL02V ... yw2VJl1PtR
https://youtu.be/tM26CbkoP8Q?list=PL02V ... yw2VJl1PtR

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm

I agree with KiteSurfingCapetown on doing a DW- for me one good strapless DW and you'll learn more than an entire summer of riding in and out of the waves starting and finishing at the same spot. Even a non wave DW on the directional will teach you a ton...endless jibes, looping the kite...

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:55 am

Best place to learn jibes is on flat water, definitely. Once cracked, basic wave tiding is pretty easy. Mauritius is excellent place. There is a small wave not too far out that is pretty safe. Next wave, manawa, is a LONG way out and not a good place to learn unless you go with someone to look out for each other. Its strange, used to drive to the beach in not much wind, turn up at the beach and it would be blowing a nice 9m :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”