Damien LeRoy Injured in Paraglider Crash

Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Damien LeRoy Injured in Paraglider Crash

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:39 pm

The facts will eventually come out, so speculation at this point doesn't have much value..... Recognizing that, but still wondering, is it possible that the harness could have failed? Strap or buckle breaking? In the video, the wing seems to be flying properly. Maybe bailing out was not initially intended?

Damo is such a great guy. This news really sucks. All the best to him for a full and speedy recovery.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:47 pm

FLandOBX wrote:The facts will eventually come out, so speculation at this point doesn't have much value..... Recognizing that, but still wondering, is it possible that the harness could have failed? Strap or buckle breaking? In the video, the wing seems to be flying properly. Maybe bailing out was not initially intended?

Damo is such a great guy. This news really sucks. All the best to him for a full and speedy recovery.
Longer version of video. Seems to be some rotation under the wing at 0:07, but it could just be him wriggling free -
https://www.facebook.com/WPTV5/videos/1 ... 852428384/

https://www.facebook.com/WPTV5/videos/1 ... 852428384/

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:31 pm

The below message is taken from Damo's FB page. Hopefully his explanation answers some of the questions everyone has been asking...

Dear friends & family,

First, I’d like to thank you all for your support. I have been in awe of all the support, messages, and prayers you’ve sent, and I can’t thank you enough. I would also like to send a huge thank you to Jupiter Police Department, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, and St. Mary’s Hospital. I’ve felt so much love over the past few days that I’ve barely noticed the rod in my leg! I’m still not able to respond to your messages, but I promise I’ll get to them when I can. For now, I just need time and sincerely appreciate your patience.

As to my condition, I’m doing really well all things considered. My most significant injury seems to be my broken femur, which had a very successful surgery. My other injuries, including my punctured lung, fractured spine, broken tailbone, and a few other smaller injuries, will all heal on their own.

I know a lot of people want to know what happened:
I was powered paragliding, which I’ve been doing often for many years. After coming out of a maneuver, my steering lines became twisted, and I could no longer control my glider. Since it looked like I was going into the water, I decided to unfasten myself from the harness. Unfortunately, as soon I was out of the harness, the glider started turning towards the beach. I wasn’t sure if I would even hit the water if I jumped, but I knew there was a chance that my glider could hit someone if I let go. Instead, I opted to hang on until I was past the beach and over the road. Once clear of the road, my options were limited and the longer I waited, the more speed I gained. When I saw an opportunity, right or wrong, I jumped, putting myself in God’s hands. There is no question that angels helped bring me down.

I couldn’t ask to be in better hands than at St. Mary’s Hospital with all my friends and family. The love is absolutely incredible. Again, thank you for all of your support and prayers. I will let you know when I’m ready to talk more. Until then, I just need to rest.

Love you all,

-Damo

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:27 am

Damien is a respected and well liked guy ; so i hope this gets back to him in a way as
to not piss him off :

The prop was spinning, when he bailed out ; he needs an electronic kill switch to
stop prop rotation .

If the prop was not spinning ; he could have used his reserve to land softer than
what he did, (i did that with a HG, that i had lost my control surfaces on) and it worked
quite nicely.

And last -- PG's fly quite well, without break input, (Hip movement) ; i hope he goes and takes an advanced
maneuvers class before flying a PG or PPG again, (he needs more training).

And Yes i would say the same to his face ; say it in a way as to still be respectful because i bin at this
PG thing, since 1989. I'd rather the guy lived and got better at this sport.

Bille

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:19 am

Glad to hear he will recover soon!

Looked on the longer video like he is rotating?
And therefore got tangled?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:21 am

Another question:

What is in theory more dangerous: crashing with speed still in the PG which I assume does not go down directly but still has a bit of hang or jumping like Damo did?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:22 am

So basically, he lost steering ability over water with onshore wind. Wanted to jump in the water in order not to get drowned by his PG, but when he was out of his harness, he'd already been blown over land. Afraid to crash into a road / power line, he jumped into the mangrove, with his PG, engine still running, flying away on its own.

Mmmmhm. I see a couple potential safety issues here :D Is it OK in Florida to leave an uncontrolled flying lawnmower over a crowded beach? Is that the protocol you learn? Can't you switch an engine off in flight?

Sounds like a mixture of ill decisions and bad luck.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 97
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:51 am

we get to see our fair share of people kill themselves paragliding. it makes the paragliding community a bit angry at easily avoidable accidents. not because we hate the pilot but because a little bit of proper training could of saved someone or condition or equipment variables. i have noticed damian rarely flys with a helmet that says a bit even our hotshot acro pilots wear helmets.
well hope he gets better and i hope you kiters dont think the pilots are assholes. we just have a sterner view of aviation accidents.

so what are we going to call this trick? im thinking "the salmon" bit of floppy dangle there as if heading up a river :) surf and turf?

Kitesitecapecod
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: West Dennis cape cod
Favorite Beaches: Chapin beach cape cod
Style: Random
Gear: Cabrinha and north
Brand Affiliation: I own kitesite.net

Postby Kitesitecapecod » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:10 pm

Bille wrote: If the prop was not spinning ; he could have used his reserve to land softer than
what he did, (i did that with a HG, that i had lost my control surfaces on) and it worked
quite nicely.

Bille

How low can you be and have the reserve open?

cosmo
Medium Poster

Postby cosmo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm

He can open the reserve in fly just to stop, he-s not falling from the sky.

Return to “Kitesurfing”